NE WINTERS SUCK

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Nothing worse than not being able to work on her in winter so, in spite of everyone saying it could'nt be done, squeezed her into my little 2 car garage. totally made for a different winter.
102_1668.jpg

102_1667.jpg

102_1666.jpg

102_1665.jpg

My neighbors are now convinced that I'm crazy.[/img]

NIGHTIDES

Reaction score
That's great you got it in there.. and yes the neighbors may be right...

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Hardcore desperation to work on the boat :shock: :shock:

At least it gives the neighbors something to talk about :D

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
They got plenty to talk about...and then there's me and the boat!!!!!!!!!

Not desperate, had serious work to do.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'm guessing transom issues? Second pic the rub rail looks to be detatched from the boat and pulled up out of the way.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Transom was among projects but she was backed up to the wall so that did'nt get finished till later. Mostly fuel system and electrical plus new steering, cables etc.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You may have missed earlier posts, sorry ass attempts at gettin this picture thing to work, but transoms done. Those pics were from last winter. Maybe I should start over in chronological order going thru the whole project. Anyway, yeah we'll be huntin'stripes.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yep, missed the other post. I just got the photobucket thing up and going myself so don't feel bad. :oops:

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Wish my 265 Express could fit in a garage, I'm jealous. Boy what I'd give to work on her indoors right now. I have a lot of things planned to do before she splashes May 1. I can either start them now while work is slow and I have time and it's cold or wait until the last few weekends before when its a little water and hope I get it all done in time. Usually takes me 3 full weekends just to ger her cleaned and prepped the way I like before I splash her, plus I'm adding a new battery charger, LED spreader lights, an autopilot, replacing my dead windshield wiper motor, a bad vhf radio and my stereo system. Also have some chaulking to do. Hmm when to start....where did that warm weather go we had a few days ago...I wouldn;t mind that coming back and staying around. Best of luck...season will be here before we know it.

Oh and your not crazy....you just have good priorities :D

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
Gradyfish22,
Sounds like my list! Although I installed the charger last season!
What AP are you going with?
My boat will be uncovered in two weeks - with planned maintenance in March along with some upgrades - another one I am planning is adding a center rigger!
Tim

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Sands, that's pretty hardy. Do you have any concern for the wheight of the snow on the bimini and does that body of water ever freeze?

Sands

Reaction score
cdwood said:
Sands, that's pretty hardy. Do you have any concern for the wheight of the snow on the bimini and does that body of water ever freeze?
The snow here usually melts pretty fast, so I don't have much concern for the bimini. And, the boat is on my property-making it very easy to check on it regularly. The river can, and does, freeze. We have a bubbler system which works well though. Here is another pic showing the river on a recent single digit temperature period.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/35430664@N04/3281016265/

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Yikes...I'd never let my Baby sit with snow like that on it. A buddy of mine has a Robalo and when he bought itlast fall the dealer never shrink wrapped it, snow turned to ice froze, and expanded and even though nothing was visable on delivery, within a few weeks the gelcoat on the cockpit sole began to crack at the round edges. this might have been faulty workmenship, but the ice expanding is what pushed the gelcoat and fiberglass over its allowable limits and allowed it to crack...anyways his deck is soft now and his boat is at Robalo having the whole deck replaced under warranty. This was something that could have been prevented and avoided, I'd never let me boat sit with snow on it.

Mt tarp ripped off this weekend and I could not get it back on by myself this weekend with the winds we had near my marina and I'm not fretting having it uncovred right now...any signs of snow accumulation and the tarp goes back on. I'd hate to recover it since in 2 weeks it would be coming off anyways so I can begin my pre season prep, but I do not want snow on the boat or any ice. Not worth it, boats are too expensive to cut corners and ruin them, they drain out wallets as it is, no need to throw more money down the drain.

CD....what projects are you currently working on? How tough was it to remove the windshield...chaulk it properly now that she's removed, you don't want water getting betwene the liner and cabin, windshields are often a big cause if that if they come loose or are inproperly installed.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I leave the tarp on as long as possible. It keeps it warmer when the wind is blowing and moderate rain doesn't ruin the day. It's an hour ride each way and free time doesn't always coinside with good weather. I'd LOVE to have the boat in my garage.

cdwood

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Put the windshield back down in a thick bed of 4200, came off easy enough. Currently finishing up instrument panel re-do, new panel, gauges, switches etc. Also building a rigging station/cleaning table for across the back of the boat.

gerrys

Reaction score
Funny! You guys up north put your boat in a garage during the winter so you can work on it. I'm having a garage built here in Florida just to keep the motors from being stolen! Sad, but true.

gerrys

Reaction score
They are as brazen as you can imagine. Mine was in a secured lot, keyed entry, security cameras, lit as bright as day. They broke through a chained gate, jerked my boat (that cannot be seen from any angle from the highway - scoped out job) to the middle of the lot, cut the control cables, unbolted the motor (Yamaha F250 with just under 100 hours), laid it into the bed of a pickup (New white Avalanche with dark gray underpanels, crew cab, white bed cover, custom wheels - likely stolen) and took off, in less than 20 minutes. Three perps, looked hispanic and wearing gloves. They must've had an order for the motor as they left my Garmin stuff as well as a bunch of fishing tackle.

Yes, it's getting bad. They are targeting high powered, go-fast boats for illegals and drugs from Cuba and Haiti. In my case, the motors are being shipped to Mexico, Cuba and the Bahamas. Just about the same time they were getting my motor, a new (never sold) 35 foot Everglades disappeared off the dealer lot, later to be found stripped near Ft Lauderdale behind - guess what? - an export outfit. Gone - all the electronics, controls, tabs, 2-F350's.

It's out of control and the perps are likely to be illegals so it's hard to track them. My guys wore gloves - so they must've had their prints on record. Luckily in my case they didn't damage the boat and the insurance company treated me great. They cut me a check in about 10 days and now I'm good to go again. Garage building permit should be here today. It's a sad tale, but true and getting worse.