Near disaster averted by mechanic

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Bought a 1988 Grady 22' Seafarer with a 2003 Evinrude Ficht 225 HP in April 2019. Had 49 hours on it and ran and started really good. I put 50 hours on it this past Summer venturing 10-12 miles offshore of Georgia. Had to have rear bilge pump replaced and farmed out that task to my local mechanic. One of his men discovered that the motor could be shaken quite a bit by pushing on it. Turns out that both bolts that are under the head but visible from the side were missing! Sheared off! Probably bought it this way. Also the motor was getiing ever more difficult to start as the Summer grew on into Fall. Took it to Mr Brian Burns of Burns Outboard in Rincon GA and he fixed it like it never happened. Needed a new shift rod also as it was probably the only thing holding it upright. Changed the plugs and the motor runs like a scalded dog. Cranks on first crank every time now. Talk about the Luck of the Irish! Pictures of the broken piece are included. Had to remove the head to fix it! I put 50 hours on it before the problem was noticed. Another twelve after it was fixed.

Attachments

• Evinrude, 2003, 225HP Motor Mount 1.jpg
    Evinrude, 2003, 225HP Motor Mount 1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Evinrude, 2003, 225HP Motor Mount 2.jpg
    Evinrude, 2003, 225HP Motor Mount 2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Evinrude, 2003, 225HP Motor Mount 3.jpg
    Evinrude, 2003, 225HP Motor Mount 3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Evinrude, 2003, 225HP Motor Mount 4.jpg
    Evinrude, 2003, 225HP Motor Mount 4.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 42
  • Evinrude, 2003, 225HP spark plugs 80 hours 1.jpg
    Evinrude, 2003, 225HP spark plugs 80 hours 1.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 40
  • Evinrude, 2003, 225HP spark plugs 80 hours 2.jpg
    Evinrude, 2003, 225HP spark plugs 80 hours 2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 39

Fishtales

Reaction score
Yea, and going the extra to check out the bolts. Hopefully the transom is ok.

Reactions: Ramblin Reck

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Yea, and going the extra to check out the bolts. Hopefully the transom is ok.
I had no clue that it was about to fall off. Put 50 hours on it before we found the problem! I am just so thankful that it stayed on the boat! It did bump around when in reverse. Thank God I never put the hammer down in reverse. But I did many times going forward.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'd say it was running rich based on the state of your spark plugs. Good job on the mechanics part!
Brian Burns is the best Evinrude mechanic on the Georgia Coast. Thank God he has a son Jack who works with him in the business. The mechanic that found the problem services only Yamaha and Suzuki outboards. He will not touch anything else. Maybe a Mercury that was manufactured by Yamaha for a few years.

Ramblin Reck

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Brian Burns is the best Evinrude mechanic on the Georgia Coast. Thank God he has a son Jack who works with him in the business. The mechanic that found the problem services only Yamaha and Suzuki outboards. He will not touch anything else. Maybe a Mercury that was manufactured by Yamaha for a few years.
I feel sure Brian Burns adjusted the richness in the computer and set the plugs at the proper angle. I feel the same as you as I could see unburned oil residue on the foot after running it. The 2 bolts cost $65.00! The rubber damper part cost $350.00! I gladly paid it.Plus the labor! It took nine months to get everything sorted out. The Boat is solid with no soft spots or hollow sounding transom. I am as happy as a pig in a poke with apples.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Sounds like you made out well. Keep fishing and letting those of us that are now on land waiting for spring how the fishing is.

Reactions: Ramblin Reck