NEED ADVISE GETTING TO ELECTRONICS 208 GRADY

steveditt

Reaction score
Purchased a 1998 208 Grady Adventure and need a little help ,looking to upgrading electronics I’m attempting to remove the tachometer and fuel panel to get access and of course one screw just spins but it doesn’t seem like that panel will come free even after all the screws are removed is it also glued. Also considering removing the entire console and painting it again not sure how it comes off either as it’s discolored. Thanks

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
You are on the right track. It's far easier to work in the electronics box by removing the instrument panel.

The bad news is, if you can't get a needle nose pliers behind the screw from the bottom to hold the casing, then you may have to drill it out.

Once the screws are out, the panel should lift right up. Mine was not caulked, although yours may be.

steveditt

Reaction score
@ Parthery, Thanks just needed that insurance I was on the right track, I had to drill the screw out, still took some prying to get it out, then removed the entire console planning on having it and the two side panels painted from that brown color[98]to white. Never leave site of land considering using the space where the compass is for a larger GPS /FF and carrying a portable compass.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'd leave the compass as is.

One way to free up some space, is to remove the plexiglass door and flush mount. You can get a 7-8 inch screen in there if you go that route. For your VHF, consider a remote mic setup with the head unit mounted in the cabin.

bc282

Reaction score
everyone has their own limits, budgets, etc, etc.
i general, i always suggest getting the largest screen unit you can physically install and able to afford.
a couple years ago i upgraded my electronics on the 282 and it has been a tremendous improvement.
I'm not overly particular on brands as i've had Raymarine, Lowrance, Humminbird and Furuno and been happy with the application for each.

IMHO, for the 208, i'd highly suggest the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI. No direct personal experience with that unit, although have had some LCX series unit and at $699.00 full MSRP, it's a tremendous value. Easy and clean install due to internal GPS sensor, integrated sounder (lowrance sounders generally very good given their price), wide full 7 inch screen allows for very respectable split screen duties, and Lowrance quality is generally good. Unsure of their service but have heard it has been vastly improved. I also have a preference for Navionics maps, so Lowrance fits that bill too.

you may consider standard horizon combo units. generally their hardware performs well and their service should you ever need it is very good. for smaller boats, i really like combo units and SH makes ones with plotter, sounder and VHF. definitely unique to SH. the combo units use C-MAP charts (OK, but again for my area i prefer Navionics). Having redundant systems is great, but on a 20`boat you`re limited to space and i`d image not terribly interested in spending 1000`s of $$$. BRING on the COMBO UNITS with integrated components!

seasick

Reaction score
bc282 said:
everyone has their own limits, budgets, etc, etc.
i general, i always suggest getting the largest screen unit you can physically install and able to afford.
a couple years ago i upgraded my electronics on the 282 and it has been a tremendous improvement.
I'm not overly particular on brands as i've had Raymarine, Lowrance, Humminbird and Furuno and been happy with the application for each.

IMHO, for the 208, i'd highly suggest the Lowrance Elite 7 HDI. No direct personal experience with that unit, although have had some LCX series unit and at $699.00 full MSRP, it's a tremendous value. Easy and clean install due to internal GPS sensor, integrated sounder (lowrance sounders generally very good given their price), wide full 7 inch screen allows for very respectable split screen duties, and Lowrance quality is generally good. Unsure of their service but have heard it has been vastly improved. I also have a preference for Navionics maps, so Lowrance fits that bill too.

you may consider standard horizon combo units. generally their hardware performs well and their service should you ever need it is very good. for smaller boats, i really like combo units and SH makes ones with plotter, sounder and VHF. definitely unique to SH. the combo units use C-MAP charts (OK, but again for my area i prefer Navionics). Having redundant systems is great, but on a 20`boat you`re limited to space and i`d image not terribly interested in spending 1000`s of $$$. BRING on the COMBO UNITS with integrated components!
I have 2 - 5 inch units in my 208, one for GPS(Garmin) and one for sonar(HDS). The sonar is actually a combo and serves as a backup GPS. VHF radio is mounted below the steering under the helm and has a remote speaker in the electronics box. My screens are bracket mounted and I remove them between outings. Don't trash the compass, I use mine just about every fishing trip and would be 'lost' without it.

steveditt

Reaction score
Ordered Garmin 740 S from BOE Marine yesterday ,going to keep compass and older F/F ,Jensen ms 30 stereo,two new antennas ,removed side panels ,dash ,kick rails had them paint to match Gel coat . Time to start installing everything.

Attachments

• P1020249 (3).jpg
    P1020249 (3).jpg
    721.2 KB · Views: 3,729

boslaw

Reaction score
how much was the paint job and where did you get it done? I'd LOVE to get rid of the ugly pink on my 1997 208

steveditt

Reaction score
Bobby's Custom body shop he's family so the price is ? but charged me 150 that include kick rails ,there are vinyl paints available in spray cans that's what I was going to do first. I painted the side compartment wood black overall I think it looks great really updated the boat .