Need advise, windlass install '90 searfarer

artwhitting

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi guys;

Thank you for your support. This is a really great site.

I want to install a windlass on my Grady. I need to alter the pulpit to mount the motor and was wondering if anyone has done this before?

Any advice would be great.

Thanks
Art

artwhitting

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hi Again;

Here are a few pics of what I'm dealing with:

See the pulpit bolt will be inthe way and I need to cut the top as I will still want the bolt attached.
pulpitopen.jpg

pulpitbolt.jpg

The bow ring hardware needs to be covered with glass for a snagless locker.
I'd like to use 20ft chain 200feet of rode. I also need to remove the gap between the bow and bulk head. I'm thinking pool noodles.

locker.jpg

toolguy73

Reaction score
I installed 700 Pro-Fish on my 87 Gulfstream last summer. Similar setup to yours, but no pulpit. I mounted mine right on top of the anchor hatch, through bolted the hatch closed, and reinforced it all underneath. You could do the same thing, but maybe raise the windlass to the same level as the pulput surface. The rode pretty much drops through the opening for the anchor shank, and falls into the deepest part of the locker. 200' of 1/2" 8 plait, with 30' of 1/4 chain.

That lifting eye/cleat was turned 90 deg in it's same spot, and it's only purpose now is to secure the anchor while it's stowed in the new pivoting bow roller. The rode and chain pass right over it while in use. I through bolted two 8" Attwood cleats near the edges of the bow. These are a perfect match to the OEM spring and stern cleats, and are used for tieing off bow lines or the anchor rode. The job required some SS angle Iron, long SS bolts, fender washers, locknuts, longer studs for the windlass, 3/4" plywood and some pt lumber.

The electric is supplied by battery cables running to a 50A breaker, then to a contactor, then to the windlass. The contactor is controlled by a toggle switch I mounted near the tach.

Somewhere I have pictures of the finished job. I'll try to post them up here or get them to you in an e-mail.