Need Engine Assistance- "Engine Reverse problems"

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ok, Just got back from a run. My 175 Envirude is not fully engaging in reverse. When I shift to reverse it is making a grinding sound and can feel it in the shifter. Almost like it is not going into gear or popping in and out rapidly. It shifts into forward fine, drives foward fine but not reverse. It backed up fine out of the dock about 30ft , ran it forward for about 25min @ 4700rpm, stopped to fish, had to backup to get away from a sand bar and that's when It started. When I got back to the doc and had to shift again to reverse, it was not as bad but still happening. The boat did move in reverse, but it feels. Like its popping out of gear or grinding like as if you were to shift slowly.

Does anyone know what I should look at or am I looking at another 1-2k$ repair job. :( :( :( :(
or If I use it am I looking at a total gearcase failure?

FYI= if you fish near the Little Egg inlet, I caught 3 Weakwish using shrimp.
. 1 Flattie on squid. all throwbacks but looking like the start of a good fishing season in NJ. Tons of blues to catch too. But not us with busted boats.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You have to make sure the shift cable is adjusted properly.

Usually when the gear box engages and stays engaged , it locks in, may be a loose fitting or adjustment (hopefully).

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Looking through some post on this engine on other sites, just thought I would ask here if anyone else has this type of engine, When I started the engine , I dont think I waited for it to come out of quick start mode, I had to shift rather quick as I was almost grounded.

Would the engine in quick start mode cause this shift not respond this way?

The engine was off for about an hour. I started it and shifted it in reverse almost right away. then went foward and turned to wheel sharp.
Like I said the reversed barley worked but forward was ok.

I checked the cables and everything seems tight and aligned.

LI Grady

Reaction score
I had a problem last year very similar to what you describe only I couldn't get reverse at all.

First mechanic said it was a dog clutch.

Second mechanic found that the first mechanic never tightened the screws on the air filter. They backed out, fell down and jammed the linkage.

Long way of saying go look for anything blocking the linkage....look down (as best you can) the shift rod opening...you may get lucky as I did

seasick

Reaction score
With the engine cowl off and the motor not running, take a look at the shift lever that is connected to the shift cable. See if it seems to move as far in reverse as it does in forward. It could be out of adjustment or the cable could be broken and works in push but not pull mode. If in doubt try removing the shift cable and shift the lever manually ( probably need a vicegrip or the like)
The bad thing would be a clutch dog, That is going to cost $$$$$

Good luck

sfc2113

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
seasick said:
With the engine cowl off and the motor not running, take a look at the shift lever that is connected to the shift cable. See if it seems to move as far in reverse as it does in forward. It could be out of adjustment or the cable could be broken and works in push but not pull mode. If in doubt try removing the shift cable and shift the lever manually ( probably need a vicegrip or the like)
The bad thing would be a clutch dog, That is going to cost $$$$$

Good luck

Voila! I thank you. I did just that but could not tell if it was moving the same distance so , I put the shifter in N and the prop turns both ways free. Then shifted to forward. Prop will not move either direction

Put the shifter in R the prop did not turn clockwise but did turn counter clockwise :shock: and the shift connector was moving in the motor cowl with each rotation and making a clicking noise :shock: , saw the adjuster wheel in the cowl :wink: . Put the engine back in N losened the hold down screw and adjusted the wheel about 1/4in inward, tightened the screw and shifted into R, prop will not turn now :) . now for the water and load test tomorrow. fingers crossd. :)

seasick

Reaction score
Sounds like you got it.
Nice work.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There's s procedure for getting this right, since going too far in one direction of the shift rod screws up the other.

Alternately, your binnacle control may be screwed up.

Too bad you don't have the service manual, but I hope is is done with.

gearadrift

Reaction score
Model
Sportsman
I had a very similar problem this year and it turned out to be the bushings where the shift rod penetrates the lower unit were very corroded and caused my engine to not fully engage at first, then over the course of two years it became very hard to get into reverse, then finally this year nothing. I should have had it looked at or fixed earlier because I ended up breaking a piece on the inside of my binnacle control due to the shift rod not moving up and down smoothly. The style of binnacle control I had from a 1998 is no longer made so I went with a brand new BRP (E-Tech compatable) control and bushings/seals for the lower unit. The job cost me $950.00 from a BRP/OMC mechanic.