Need Fresh Batteries for 330 Express

daneagle2809

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Original equipment units are 4 Deca Intimidator AGM Group 27 and they are just hitting 5 years old. I always keep the charger on when the boat is in the slip but lately one engine will not start unless 1+2 banks combined (same with energy to bow thruster) so I'm going to replace them all. They look like a real pain to get to. Has anybody tackled this in a 330? I am south of Tampa in Bradenton FL. I am also wondering if anyone has a recomendation as to keeping the OEM brand or what they may use and also if anyone knows of a mobile battery service in my area. I have spoken with Posey Power Service out of tampa and they will come do the replacement at my dock but they are pricey. Thanks!

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I have done it. Not a big deal on my 2007 330, very easy to access. I opted for Group 31 batteries. My #1 bank are both starting batteries and my #2 bank are both deep cycle. Mine are currently Dekas, but I'm not sure there is a big difference if you get a well known brand. I put the house load on the deep cycles when anchoring out overnight. They still start the assigned engine fine. They are all heavy to get in and out, but it gives you a chance to clean all of the terminals and check everything out.

Last edited:

SeaVee

Reaction score
On my last two boats ( 25 SeaVee and now a 265) I have used Interstate batteries from their blemished stock. Had fully warranty and cheap compared to retail. Just call your local Interstate location and see if they have blemished in the size you need.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Deka makes most of then. I use 4 group 27 starting batteries what gw recommends.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
My experience with batteries are the name is just a name. I have gotten similar performance out of batteries from many different manufacturers. No matter who makes the battery I typically get 3 seasons of of it before it is shot. I just replaced my batteries at the beginning of the season with west marine group 27 which are rebranded dekas. They were on sale plus with and additional boat club discount the price was right too. Just make sure you check the engine specs as far as battery requirement. Yamahas require a very high RC.

daneagle2809

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hey just an update on this thread. Posey Power of Tampa came to my dock and did a great job and I now have 4 new AGMs. At first I thought the quote was pricey but now I think they were a very fair price given that they delivered on every aspect of boat service. They texted multiple times about battery delivery and arrival times - they showed up on time - they were super skilled in installation and overall my experience with them was great! Wow I wish more service experiences were like this!

Reactions: everwhom

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I did two a couple of years ago: bought group 27 Duracell "Dual Purpose" purchased from Batteries Plus. Wasn't too bad, but honestly next time I'll have my marina do it unless I can't avoid it. Lugging them around wasn't much fun and there's quite a lot of opportunity to make some stupid mistakes...

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Replaced 2 of my 4 batteries on my 330 2 weeks ago. $600. Not cheap but that’s what is called for.

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I am able to buy Group 31 Dekas (DP31DT or DC31DT) ordered from my local hardware store for $129.99 each and install them myself as my house bank. I also buy two for a starting bank of Deka 27M6 batteries for 119.99 each. I guess I'm lucky to have a reasonable source of supply. AGMs are good for pounding and vibration resistance, but I don't run my 330 hard enough to create rough motions near the transom. Regular wet cells (flooded) have worked fine for me and are quite a bit cheaper.