Need Gas Tank

Hardways

Reaction score
Have to change tank in my 87 24 offshore. live on long island NY Where would be the best place to locate one?Is original equipment still available? Dosent look like to bad of a job. Fill and vent lines look a little tricky. Any advice or help would be appreciated. THANKS.

seabob4

Reaction score
Hardways,
If you can get the dimensions from GW, I can get you a tank from RDS Aluminum for a bit of a discount... :wink:

.125" wall thickness, baffles, and sender, shipped to your door...

3rd Day

Reaction score
I helped change both tanks in a 1980 24 Offshore. The tanks were bought from the OEM and fit perfect. GW will give engineering drawings to assist with replacing the lines, it's a bit tricky but not too bad. Good Luck.

jk

Reaction score
new tank

I just replaced the tank and hoses on my 88 Offshore. I got the specs from Grady customer service and found a place in FL with the best price and less than 2 weeks delivered to Mass. Tank removal was a bit of a pain as I had to trim off some of the fiberglass lip to get the tank out. I bought new rubber strips and attached them with 5200 to the tank. The hoses are the worst part of the job, but someone suggested attaching the new hose to the old hose and pulling that through, which worked real well. The vent hose was the worst. If you want more info, send me a message and I'll give you more details. Good luck.

jim f 232

Reaction score
Hardways,
Replaced main fuel tank last year on my gulfstream. I used a company right out by you called Alloy Metal Works in Farmingdale NY 631-694-8163. Phil had all the correct Grady dimensions, used .125" alu wall, baffeled, sending unit, pressure tested etc. Had no problems at all and he was the most reasonably priced of all fabricators contacted.

Scott W.

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Tank & Fuel Line Replacements

A few months ago I replaced the main 93-gallon fuel tank last year on my 1991 Seafarer 228G and used Phil from Alloy Metal Works in Farmingdale, NY 631-694-8163. I removed and delivered my old gas tank to Phil, and he properly disposed of the same for free. I had purchased online from WEMA, a great sending unit at 30% off the listed price and had Phil install it on my new tank. As for the tank coating, at Phil's recommendation I applied three coats of Zinc Chromate to protect the tank from corrosion and then glued neoprene strips with 3M 5200 Adhesive to the bottom areas where the boat well's tank supports are located.

As for the replacement of the gas lines, the hardest part was the replacement of the fill line. What you want to do here is to attach the new fill line to the inlet side of the existing fill line. You take a smaller hose and insert it into both lines and then insert screws in same to prevent them from comming apart. Then you pull the fill lines from the tank area until the new hose is pulled through.

Good Luck!

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I used RDS for a tank for a 19' Tournament. They had the plans, and delivered an exact fit to my door via UPS. I'd recommend them.

seabob4

Reaction score
seabob4 said:
Hardways,
If you can get the dimensions from GW, I can get you a tank from RDS Aluminum for a bit of a discount... :wink:

.125" wall thickness, baffles, and sender, shipped to your door...

As I was saying...

brutus

Reaction score
What's the contact info for RDS Aluminum? I may need to replace the forward tank in my '86 Sailfish255. Topped it off the other day and strong fumes in the cabin nearly knocked me out. Gonna remove the hatch and see what's up. There is fuel on top of the tank and all the hoses appear to be tight. Tank has some sort of opening on the top that has a bolted cover. (?)
I emailed GW for specs but have not heard back yet.
Thanks.

seabob4

Reaction score
brutus said:
What's the contact info for RDS Aluminum? I may need to replace the forward tank in my '86 Sailfish255. Topped it off the other day and strong fumes in the cabin nearly knocked me out. Gonna remove the hatch and see what's up. There is fuel on top of the tank and all the hoses appear to be tight. Tank has some sort of opening on the top that has a bolted cover. (?)
I emailed GW for specs but have not heard back yet.
Thanks.

I deal directly with Ray Veal at RDS. He gives me OEM pricing, so if anybody is interested, just send me the drawings including fill/vent neck locations and pickup/sender locations. .090" or .125" wall thickness, fully baffled with sender...