Need good hand soap for fish cleanup

gradyrod

Reaction score
Need to get a good hand soap to get fish and smells off hands after fishing and cleaning fish. Anyone have a recommendation that is easily purchased at say Walmart and that will work with salt water?

Lainie J

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Fish smell

Use to work in a fish market and on a party boat during college years. The best for removing fish smell was lemons. Fresh lemon juice is probably the best.

gradytom

Reaction score
anyone ever try the "stainless steel bar of soap"??
I have one laying around someplace but always forget to try it, supposedly just rub the stainless steel on your skin under water and it
takes smells away.

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
The stainless steel bar that I had worked surprisingly well. But not as well as lemon juice.

Rob

dduflo

Reaction score
Dawn or Lava. Both work well as does Comet Cleanser.

Ron Semenza

Reaction score
Go to a pet shop. Buy a quart of the liquid used to remove pee stains and oror from carpet. Put some in a couple of spray bottles and keep a bottle of each on the boat and in the truck.. Works like a charm and is not expensive. Don't need water. Just spray a bunch on rub hands together and wipe off. May have to do twice after cleaning Albacore.

jennyj

Reaction score
At the grocery I came across Soft Soap Hand Soap complete with 3-D puffer fish.
It is the clear pump bottle with a nautical/sea theme in the center. Complete with crab, starfish, coral etc. on the front.

And suspended magically in the middle is a puffer fish with rather bright eyes staring out. Spooky Kewl......

grady23

Reaction score
Another vote for Simple Green. I use this stuff to clean the cooler that I've used for fish storage for 2 days and if you spray straight Simple Green in the cooler, scrub rinse and repeat. Then let it air dry --- Fish Smell is GONE! I use this same cooler to transport milk and food in all the time.

dannwhite

Reaction score
Dr. Bronners is a well known name in order to produce good hand soaps. You will be quite satisfied to get. I believe.

Best Of Luck!

ahill

Reaction score
If you use Clorox it kills the smell, slime and bacteria.
I use it after I've cleaned a bunch of spiny fish and am stabbed and finned by fish parts. Works great and alleviates infection and soreness.
Learned it from an old Keys commercial guy years ago.