Need guidance from 330 owners

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My 16 year old Simrad AP-11 autopilot has crapped out. I have purchased the new Furuno Navpilot 300 as a replacement.

My Immediate need is to locate the five major components of AP-11
(1) AP-11 Control Unit
(2) RFC35 Fluxgate Compass
(3) J3000X Junction Unit
(4) RPU80 Reversible Pump
(5) RF300 Rudder Feedback

The only component that I am sure where it is located is the Control Unit. I assume the Rudder Feedback is attached near the steering bar on the engines but I don't remember seeing it. I don't know where to start to look for the other components and this is where I am hoping to find someone with a similar vintage that has this knowledge so I don't have to start pulling all panels apart.

Next question, when I locate the components, I assume it is basically a remove and replace with the Furuno components - until I get to tying it into my Garmin NEMA 2000 network as the AP-11 is not integrated.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

2002 330 Express

georgemjr

Reaction score
Compass may be in bathroom cabinet underneath sink. Pump could be in bilge by water tank, rudder feedback (if you have one-some were virtual) will be one engine (usually starboard), and control unit behind dash (where you tach gauges are).

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Compass may be in bathroom cabinet underneath sink. Pump could be in bilge by water tank, rudder feedback (if you have one-some were virtual) will be one engine (usually starboard), and control unit behind dash (where you tach gauges are).

Thanks.

I'll be heading down to the boat on the 20th and check it out - That pump may be difficult to get to as the genny sits right in front of water tank.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
On mine the locations were as follows:

(1) AP-11 Control Unit: In the aft berth
(2) RFC35 Fluxgate Compass: In the aft berth
(3) J3000X Junction Unit: In the aft berth
(4) RPU80 Reversible Pump: In the bilge to the port side of the generator (easily accessible)
(5) RF300 Rudder Feedback: Attached to the steering ram

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
On mine the locations were as follows:

(1) AP-11 Control Unit: In the aft berth
(2) RFC35 Fluxgate Compass: In the aft berth
(3) J3000X Junction Unit: In the aft berth
(4) RPU80 Reversible Pump: In the bilge to the port side of the generator (easily accessible)
(5) RF300 Rudder Feedback: Attached to the steering ram

Thanks Everwhom

Were the units in the aft berth visible or were they behind panels - I don't remember seeing anything in aft cabin ceiling other than the overhead light

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My 2007 330:

I just replaced my course computer with one that has a rate gyro and doesn't require a rudder feedback signal.

Pump: Behind AC/DC electrical panel in cabin, low and to port.
Control Head: Next to the helm
Course Computer: Behind AC/DC electrical panel in cabin, mounted on aft bulkhead behind the panel.
Rudder Feedback: Was on the steering ram, but newer course computers do not require one. They are hard to maintain and I was glad to delete it.
Fluxgate Compas: Under the forward bilge access hatch in the aft cabin. Mounted on the bulkhead facing forward and high as possible to avoid ferrous interference from bail well pump and various other items in that bilge area.

Good Luck!

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
My 2007 330:

I just replaced my course computer with one that has a rate gyro and doesn't require a rudder feedback signal.

Pump: Behind AC/DC electrical panel in cabin, low and to port.
Control Head: Next to the helm
Course Computer: Behind AC/DC electrical panel in cabin, mounted on aft bulkhead behind the panel.
Rudder Feedback: Was on the steering ram, but newer course computers do not require one. They are hard to maintain and I was glad to delete it.
Fluxgate Compas: Under the forward bilge access hatch in the aft cabin. Mounted on the bulkhead facing forward and high as possible to avoid ferrous interference from bail well pump and various other items in that bilge area.

Good Luck!

Thanks - I'm getting a lot of good suggestions of where to look - having been behind the AC/DC panel before I recall a fair amount of room to mount components - my forward bilge is quite wet with A/C runoff, etc I'm surprised that would be a good location for the compass unless it is totally sealed