Need Help 290 or Marlin

Erie

Reaction score
Just wanted to reach out to some people who own these boats or have been on them. Trying to decide what boat to narrow it down to. I only fish Lake Erie where it gets pretty choppy alot of the time.

can anyone give me their opinions/experiences with these two boats in regards to ride, features etc.

Also, does anyone trailer their 290 and if so do you know the height of the boat on the trailer. Trying to see if it would be below 13.5

To me, a big difference is the Marlin looks to have alot bigger cockpit. I looked at the express as well but just didnt like how cramed it was with Center Seat.

Thanks for the help and feedback

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The Marlin is more boat in both cockpit and cabin. Awesome machine. Heading over to splash mine within the hour.
I've been on the 290 which was the replacement for the Sailfish. The beam is wider (than the Sailfish) for better helm access and to allow the genny option. It is a great boat and cost less than the 300. My advice is to get as much boat as you can afford.

The 300 is far and away my favorite in the lineup. The only model I would want over it is that 33 WA that Gary M keeps asking for. :huh

PS: welcome aboard

G8R_DVM

Reaction score
I tow my 300 Marlin all over Florida with very little hassle, its sits roughly 13 and a half feet tall on the trailer to the top of the outrigger bases. Definitely need a 3/4 or 1 ton diesel to tow it but the truck gets considerably better fuel mileage and you can avoid marina fuel prices. I spend less time at the ramp than most people with 20ft boats and with the right trailer weight distribution, if it didn't weigh 11,000 pounds you wouldn't know it was back there. The only thing I don't like about the boat is it can really rock if you float broadside to the swells, which is going to happen with any deep v hull. If you have the tow vehicle get the marlin.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Both are to too large to trailer (special permit as > 8'6" beam) IMHO although others will say they do.
I have not been on a 290. I owned a 282 for 5 years and a 300 now for the same. No comparison. 282 was small in the helm and rode like a small boat. The 300 feels much more substancial for a couple of feet more. The 290 is in between and although better the helm area is not that of a 300. If you get either I'd opt for the companion seat to give you more room in the aisle and room to sit 3 up front if needed.

Can't really go wrong, but I really like the 300 and wouldn't consider a bigger GW until they offer it without a center helm.

Grady678

Reaction score
I'm clueless as to why, but, just have not run into any 290 owners. Seems very refined and 'newer' features than 300, yet, smaller. If you trailer and plan on solo boating....these models are not for you. It can be done......very troublesome unless ramp and conditions are perfect. Good Luck!