Need help picking an autopilot

Walleye 1

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2005 258 with twin yamaha f150's. I troll the great lakes for walleye and steelhead and need some advice on a appropriate autopilot system for the boat. My trolling speeds are typically around 2 mph and i'm looking for a system to drive for me at this speed (i'll be glad to drive it to and from the fishing location). I would like to have a system that offers trolling patterns if possible. In addition, with a proposed system how difficult is the install? thanks in advance

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
Autopilot

There's a lot of good stuff out there, but if you want the best, get a Simrad. There's a lot to do to install properly, I never regretted paying my dealer.

By the way, once you use the autopilot, you'll want to use it all the time. It gets you to the fishiing grounds quicker and saves gas too!

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Simrad makes the very best, but they are also on the higher end price wise, your looking about $2800+. A Garmin TR-1 is nice but does not have a display, and for the money and the so so reports I'd shy away from this. Raymarine offers some packages that start around $1600 and go up in price depending on features that will do what you want and are more affordable. All these brands should link to your current gps without a problem. There is a cheaper Raymarine unit, but at lower speeds it might not be well suited for you, it does not have a compass or gyro so it does not account for wind and tide well which for trolling purposes at those speeds you might want. If being a few ft off course is not an issue you can get this unit on ebay for around $1000, it is a basic unit and very simple to install and includes trolling patterns like clover, zig zag, straight line, and a few others. Your best bet is to go to a boat show and see the products first hand and see what suits your needs well and what is easiest for you to use. You may only need a very basis autopilot, or might perfer something that will be very accurate and top of the line like the simrad units.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Simrad makes the very best, but they are also on the higher end price wise, your looking about $2800+. A Garmin TR-1 is nice but does not have a display, and for the money and the so so reports I'd shy away from this. Raymarine offers some packages that start around $1600 and go up in price depending on features that will do what you want and are more affordable. All these brands should link to your current gps without a problem. There is a cheaper Raymarine unit, but at lower speeds it might not be well suited for you, it does not have a compass or gyro so it does not account for wind and tide well which for trolling purposes at those speeds you might want. If being a few ft off course is not an issue you can get this unit on ebay for around $1000, it is a basic unit and very simple to install and includes trolling patterns like clover, zig zag, straight line, and a few others. Your best bet is to go to a boat show and see the products first hand and see what suits your needs well and what is easiest for you to use. You may only need a very basis autopilot, or might perfer something that will be very accurate and top of the line like the simrad units.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I installed a Simrad AP-12H shortly after we purchased the boat. Had a single 250HP OX66 at the time.

Repowered with twin F150s and kept the AP-12H for a year. Then upgraded to an AP-16VF.

Strongly concur with the Simrad suggestions, and you can save a lot by doing this yourself - if you are handy..

Brian

Walleye 1

Reaction score
thanks for all of the great info. I was at the cleveland boat show however, it's hard to get an honest answer. I'd rather base my decision on first hand experience than a sales pitch. I'm thinking that the Simrad ap28 with the optional radio control will be the direction that i go. I'd rather spend the money once and get something that will do everything i want and perform as expected.

marsimi

Reaction score
AP 24

I had an AP 24 installed this past summer and really like it. It is on a Bimini 306

prodiver

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Check out the Furuno autopilot. And get one with a dial. Much easier for course corrections. I love my furuno on my single 350, 275 tournament.

jfmagana

Reaction score
prodiver said:
Check out the Furuno autopilot. And get one with a dial. Much easier for course corrections. I love my furuno on my single 350, 275 tournament.

I agree, I have all Furuno electronics and decided to go with the Furuno AP. I love it. It has operated flawlessly, holds a course even in rough seas or difficult conditions (e.g., strong winds, big following seas, etc.). Furuno comes stock with a bunch of cool patterns that you can deploy with just a few keystrokes (e.g., figure eights, expanding or contracting concentric circles, zigzag, etc.). It's 110% bulletproof, quality gear and it's backed by Furuno's legendary customer support. Price-wise, it's about the same as the Simrad. I should add that I've owned Simrad before...it's definitely top-shelf stuff...excellent quality gear. IMHO, you can't go wrong with either unit.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'm in the same problem, i thought that was going to install the Garmin, but from some reviews i read, it does not look like a good idea. So, what you guys recomend. I have twin F350's and a complete Garmin electronics system. I'm debating between Simrad and Furuno.

gradyfish22

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
As much as I am a Furuno fan, I'd go with a Simrad autopilot over a Furuno every day. Simrad has more features and more units to fit all needs, Furuno has less models. It is nice to match your equipment by brand if possible, but I'd highly recommend a Simrad AP over Furuno if it were my money.

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mr. Furuno here :lol:

I agree 100% with gf22. Simrad has been doing APs forever. They are to APs as Furuno is to radar. The new Garmin looks very interesting (based on the TR-1) but it is not yet proven. The new Simrads such as the AP24 have even more features then previous models. Lack of rudder feedback is a BIG plus as these always need replacement after a few years; much like batteries.

Kevcros

Reaction score
I go Furuno all the way............except the AP which is Simrad--

I am going with an AP 24 on the 306--