Need help - windlass for 2002 330

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yesterday, my original equipment Horizon 600 finally gave up, I've been nursing it along for years.

I have consistently had problems with the rode kinking and jamming (I changed from 3 strand twisted to 8 plait line a couple of years ago & it helped a little) unless I manually guided the line to the rear of anchor locker upon retrieval. I believe that G-W corrected this issue by moving the drop point further to the rear of the locker on models after 2005 or 2006 ??

I would like to hear from other early 330 model owners that have found a solution to this problem. Guess I'm going to use an anchor ball until I hear about a windlass that will work from the helm rather than someone at helm and me at pulpit.

Thanks

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
How much anchor line do you have in the anchor locker? If there is too much line in the locker, there will not be enough depth or distance for the rode to drop down from the windless. As a result you will end up with kinks and twists.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
How much anchor line do you have in the anchor locker? If there is too much line in the locker, there will not be enough depth or distance for the rode to drop down from the windless. As a result you will end up with kinks and twists.

I only have 300' of 1/2" rode - there is plenty of room in locker. The issue is that the drop point into the locker is too far forward, in later years a change was made moving the drop point further aft. The problem with the 2002 model is that the rode hits at a shallow part of the locker because of the hull design and tends to pile up instead of falling back into the deeper area.

Fishtales

Reaction score
Can you add a plate on top and reposition the windlass to correct the fall point? Seems like this is the right time for a mod as you'll be getting a new (and maybe larger) windlass?

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Can you add a plate on top and reposition the windlass to correct the fall point? Seems like this is the right time for a mod as you'll be getting a new (and maybe larger) windlass?

I think other early 330 owners have the same issue & hopefully someone has found the best windlass and positioning combination. I am very good at copying a solution not so good at creating it

Fishtales

Reaction score
Hopefully so, I recall a couple of threads where people replaced and at least one went with a much larger windlass. I've had to fix mine a couple of times but not replace or change position. Good luck with it.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Some anchors spin all the way up, once they lift off the bottom. Do you have a good swivel between the chain and the rode?

I have a swivel between the anchor and the chain but not between the chain and the rode. In my twisted logical mind it should be the same result

Bayhouse

Reaction score
I replaced the stock windlass on my 2003 330 with a Good anchor windlass. The installer put a piece of starboard over the locker cover and mounted the new windlass on it so it had a deeper fall. I have 600' of rode in there now. I occasionally need to crawl up to the bow hatch in the cabin to free up some line, but generally works pretty well. LMK if you want some pics.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I replaced the stock windlass on my 2003 330 with a Good anchor windlass. The installer put a piece of starboard over the locker cover and mounted the new windlass on it so it had a deeper fall. I have 600' of rode in there now. I occasionally need to crawl up to the bow hatch in the cabin to free up some line, but generally works pretty well. LMK if you want some pics.

The Good 850 rope/chain free fall windlass is the one that I am looking at. Is that the model you installed? Did you go with their standard rode package of 600’ line & 10’ of chain? I currently have 30’ of chain & wonder if 10’ would provide adequate holding power.

You mentioned you have to periodically free up the line through the cabin access. Could you estimate the percentage of the anchor drops that you need to do that. Do you have a swivel between anchor & chain to reduce line twist?

I sent you a message with my email address & would really like to see photos of your installation

thanks

Bayhouse

Reaction score
The Good 850 rope/chain free fall windlass is the one that I am looking at. Is that the model you installed? Did you go with their standard rode package of 600’ line & 10’ of chain? I currently have 30’ of chain & wonder if 10’ would provide adequate holding power.

Yes, I have the 850 with 600' of rode and I think there's about 10' of chain and it holds fine. If I had 30', I'd keep it.

QUOTE="jip40, post: 185545, member: 17439"]
You mentioned you have to periodically free up the line through the cabin access. Could you estimate the percentage of the anchor drops that you need to do that. Do you have a swivel between anchor & chain to reduce line twist?[/QUOTE]

Mostly on the deep drops, usually ~300' and I may need to get down there. and give it a yank. Interesting question about the swivel, it had one when installed but IIRC I needed to take it off because it didn't fit with my new anchor - I need to add that to my to-do list. I also need to remove that clamp between the anchor and chain, that was on there when I had it set for break-away.