Need Help with Honda EU200I Hook Up

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I tried the EU200i generator on my Marlin for the first time this past weekend and my electric panel i the cabin read between 68 and 72 volts. Got out my volt meter and at the generator it read 127.5 v's ... plugged in a 25' 12ga extension cord and got same reading(127.5v) at output end of cord, added the Marinco 83A adaptor(15amp male/30am female) and still got same reading... ZERO voltage drop. Plugged the 83A into my shore power recepticle and my electric panel still shows 68-72 volts. I would automatically assume that the problem is between the boats 30amp recepticle and the panel box... BUT if that is the case why does the panel read OK when using shore power supply? I'm not an electrician so any and all suggestions welcomed. The 83A adaptor is brand new, so is the 12ga extension cord... could the connection between that and 30A boat recepticle be sloppy enough to have a voltage drop of that size? It really didn't feel any sloppier than the shore power cord. Thanks.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Joe, that is exactly how I connect our EU2000 to the boat. Everything gets powered up except the water heater. Never a problem.

We do not have any voltage indication on our AC panel - just the green light, master breaker and the individual feeder breakers. So no meter indication to compare with yours.

But I will say without any doubt that we are getting normal voltage throughout the boat's AC distribution system.

I will also say that you can't have that much voltage drop due to a bad connection - if you did you would have a LOT of heat and likely a fire.

Sorry not more help.

Brian

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response Brian. I'm baffled on this one. Shore power everything looks OK(which also verifies good connections within the system) and when I plug in the 2000i the panel shows around 70v's. I know I was copying your hookup system... ( viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9692 ) and another person(acw4kds) saw the same problem but he never responded back with a followup. Hopefully an electrician will chime in here.

Another question: when you say yours powers up everything except the water heater.... can you power up the water heater if you turn off all other AC accessories?

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Joe,
I was hesitant to post a response, as I have a Honda knockoff made by Honeywell (China or Korea I suspect). It works excellent, I've used it about ten times on and off the boat and the iit was less than half the cost of the Honda.

I have not used the generator on the boat in about nine months, but I recall the voltage reading on the breaker panel reading whacky when on generator power. Perhaps 70 volts or something like that. Now when the boat is hooked up to shorepower the same dispay reads normal sometimees and 70-150 volts other times. Having a decent electrical backround (Hvac), I have a suspicion that the breaker panel dislay is not compatible with the "not so clean" power the generator produces. I have measured both my dockside and generator power many times with different scenaroius and always found it to be 114-123 volts depending on load.

In other words, based on our findings and others I have read about I think you are fine with what we have.

Finally, I do not recall if I can run the water heater off the generator. I want to say that the initial load was too much, but I am not certain of this. I am certain I can charge the batteries, use the refrigerator, and two halogen floodlights (500W each) all night without a problem.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Scott... thanks for the great info... you may have hit the nail on the head about the "compatibility" factor. I think I will try to check the voltage right at the panel when I get some extra time.
I do hope I can use the water heater... that is one of my biggest reasons for buying the generator. When we anchor out for more than one night I have to have a warm shower. I thought the surge wattage for the heater we have in the marlins is right around 1500-1600 but I may be wrong. Thanks again... I'll post here if I find anything new.

Tuna Man

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have checked the boat mounted outlets in the cockpit, cabin port berth and bathroom all were 115-122 volts depending on load. I never pulled the paned with the generator running, but I did on shore power (carefully), 119 to 121 volts. During the latter test the digital breaker panel display was reading something like 78 volts.

My boat is still on land (that will change in the next week), I'll the water heater actual load when I get a chance with my clamp on DC amp meter. I'll let you know the results.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
HDGWJOE said:
Another question: when you say yours powers up everything except the water heater.... can you power up the water heater if you turn off all other AC accessories?

I haven't bothered too much with it, but I recall that if the A/C is off then I can power up the water heater - and the battery charger. But can't use anything in the outlets, or the microwave while heating water. But really can't use the microwave while the A/C is running either... :D

Great generator. Used it at home to power up the refrigerator in the kitchen and the freezer in the garage when we've lost power in storms. The Duration Tank is a fantastic addition to the system - have used it on the boat as well. http://www.wisesales.com/DurationTanks.html

Brian

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Brian & Scott... thanks for the additional info.

SCott... I'm going to try to get my panel pulled later this week or next and check it with the generator running... but I may try just checking the outlets first... if I am getting around 120v's there I should be OK.

Brian... your explanation is what I thought others had also said... can run the water heater as long as other heavy loads are off. That's all I care about... I don't mind not using the microwave or turning off the A/C while trying to heat water. Haven't gotten the additional tank yet but plan to. I did use ise sales for the generator purchase... very good price, free shipping and had it in 3 business days.

Joe

Hookster57

Reaction score
While on this subject, does anyone know where I can order an AC adaptor for my 96 Marlin? The two plugs on either side by the shore power receptacle are 4 hole.. Thanx

ahill

Reaction score
I have dealer installed shore power with a Blue Sea panel & voltmeter.
The voltmeter reads about 120 V whether I'm on gen (Honda 2000) or shore power.
The only time the voltmeter read low was at Bimini Bluewaters Marina.
I had to try 3 different power pedestals before I got 120.

HDGWJOE

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Well... I finally got the chance to check out the generator again with a volt meter. Tuna Man hit the nail on the head. Panel gets a flaky reading(70-80volts) when on the generator but I am actually receiving between 120-125 volts at all outlets... so I am not going to dig any further or worry about it. Thanks for your help to everybody who responded.