NEED HELP WITH RUSTY BUTTON STUD SNAPS ON FIBERGLASS

DaveG

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Good Day,
Can anyone give me some advice? I have a 2007 "205" Tournament with Canvas Button Studs on my right and left side middle of the hull. These studs are just for my Vista top side curtains and the snaps have gotten very rusted. There are about 9 total that seem to be the only ones having the problem. I have siliconed them and kept them clean as possible but the damn rust just keeps coming.
Now I am afraid to try and remove them to face a broken screw. Is this covered from Grady? I would assume not but this should not be rusting this soon.... Do you have any advice on proper way of removing?
The Boat is housed in Delaware and we really take a beating on Air and Salt.
Thanks for any free Advice!
please feel free to email me also at crew.sixty@verizon.net

Cheers :( :lol:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I don't see why they are rusting, should be chrome on brass. and/or stainless construction

Call or email Grady Customer Service at factory, you can find their number at Gradywhite.com. I recommend you call.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
I noticed in my marina that several GW's had this issue and ask my dealer before I purchased my boat last winter what this was about. I was told that most of the SS hardware supply is now coming from China and the quality control is very bad. GW knows that they have this problem and was working to fix it, call and tell them you have it on your boat. With a 2007 boat I would absolutely expect them to take care of it for you, if they don’t go higher up the customer service chain until you get some satisfaction. GW should be embarrassed to have this issue and there is no way this should be happening on any quality saltwater rated boat. I don’t see it on the new Contender’s, Regulator’s or Pursuit’s!!!!!!

DaveG

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Thanks!!!

Thanks for Both reply's and that will definatly give me a course to pursue. I figured as much.
There is also some rust forming on some of my railing and several other areas. I had them come out once about a year ago but that was after I directly contacted my Dealer which blew me off and then I took it to the next level and contacted the Factory. IT did look like they repaired some of it then. I love this boat but we should not be getting this kind of service from the dealer especially when it comes to trade up time.

Best Regards
Dave

:lol: :!:

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
You are absolutely right, Grady White is a premium boat with reported first rate customer service, if you are not satisfied with the dealer your first stop, contact the factory and explain your experience.

Even if you don't wash, clean nor polish the handrailing, fittings, latches, hinges, cleats, thruhulls, whatever, it should not rust, ever.

I've never waxed the 16 yr old railing on my boat, and many times don't even rinse the boat off returning from the sea, yet no rust. My boat is outdoors 365 days a year, never coovered.

Don't let them get away with saying that stainless will rust and needs treatment, tell them nonsense !

The ss manufacturer Grady bougth from could have contaminated the alloys in the fabrication process, that's Grady's responsibility, not yours.

Other than the above items, if you have polished stainless props, they can get some mild stains, but it's ok, the prop is of a different series alloy, thinner and harder suitable for the service it provides.

DaveG

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Reply to Bob

Bob
Thanks for the more insightful info. Most people treat this laying down but I feel that when you pay as much or as little for a new boat and Grady really wants to stand behind their product they should have come clean a year ago when they tried to clean and cover things up but it is like a herpes sore. It will come back eventually.
I will go right to factory nand skip the dealer being that I am probably going to get a bunch of back talk being that they know everything and I am the dumb consumer that knows nothing.
on a bad note I am getting the boat detailed this week but that still will not hide the new hardware repalced and the deep rust that will show some pitting no matter what.

Thanks again]
Dave
:lol:

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Dave, BobP is absolutely correct on all points, and it is sad to hear of such a condescending attitude of the dealer. Is this the same dealer that sold you the boat? And is it safe to say that since you are in Milton, and there is a Grady dealer also in Milton (Taylor Marine), that is the dealer who is blowing this off?

Good to know when time for boat shopping :wink:

Definitely call Grady and escalate the problem to someone who will respond professionally. And tell them how responsive your dealer was. They need to know that, especially in these times.

HOOPER

Reaction score
As sad as it is to hear Dave is having trouble with his dealer, isn't there a bigger concern?

Grady is putting hardware on their boats that are made in CHINA?? :shock:

It may only be canvas snaps for now, but do they plan on eventually having all of the deck hardware made from an inferior vendor?

Grady is obviously saving money buying cheaper hardware, but the prices of the boats are still going up. Where is the extra money going?

I am sad to hear Grady is starting to go down this road. I hope they do not continue to do this. If they do, what will they have a few years from now, an expensive Bayliner?

Dave, I hope your situation gets resolved and they replace the rusted snaps. But, now that Grady switched vendors, won't you get new ones that will rust in a year again anyway? :evil:

Hope everything works out for you and Grady switches back to the original vendor. KEEP US POSTED.

Seahunter

Reaction score
As sad as it is to hear Dave is having trouble with his dealer, isn't there a bigger concern?

It may only be canvas snaps for now, but do they plan on eventually having all of the deck hardware made from an inferior vendor?

Grady is obviously saving money buying cheaper hardware, but the prices of the boats are still going up. Where is the extra money going?

There is no such thing as "cheap" stainless steel hardware. Stainless is classified by its alloy content so it's either X or its Y and there are several inexpensive hand held instruments available to verify the content.

The possibility exists that the screws where improperly passivated by the manufacturer, it’s a quite common problem, but the fact that not all of the screws are “bleeding” would lead me to suspect a problem in the installation.

A more likely scenerio is that the screws are trapping moisture somewhere. There isn't a stainless steel made that will not ‘bleed” and start to corrode when all the oxygen has been removed from its environment. It needs the oxygen to maintain the layer of chromium oxide on its surface and without this layer the material will begin to “stain” in just a short period of time.

To check this, install a new button using 4200. Make sure to coat the threads, the underside of the button and the underside of the head of the screw inside the “button” if possible. If the screw is integral with the button and you can’t put sealer between the head of the screw and the button you’ve most likely found your problem. Replace them with 2 piece assemblies and see if that doesn’t do the trick.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Seahunter said:

There is no such thing as "cheap" stainless steel hardware. Stainless is classified by its alloy content so it's either X or its Y and there are several inexpensive hand held instruments available to verify the content.

The possibility exists that the screws where improperly passivated by the manufacturer, it’s a quite common problem, but the fact that not all of the screws are “bleeding” would lead me to suspect a problem in the installation.

A more likely scenerio is that the screws are trapping moisture somewhere. There isn't a stainless steel made that will not ‘bleed” and start to corrode when all the oxygen has been removed from its environment. It needs the oxygen to maintain the layer of chromium oxide on its surface and without this layer the material will begin to “stain” in just a short period of time.

To check this, install a new button using 4200. Make sure to coat the threads, the underside of the button and the underside of the head of the screw inside the “button” if possible. If the screw is integral with the button and you can’t put sealer between the head of the screw and the button you’ve most likely found your problem. Replace them with 2 piece assemblies and see if that doesn’t do the trick.

There are different grades (cheap? vs. 316 grade); some will rust and some will not. I bought some stainless steel screws and button snaps from West, and dumped them in my compartmentized box of stainless hardware. There also is a magnet in that box, and I noticed that some of the new snaps could be picked up by the magnet; others would not. I'm betting the ones that can be, will rust no matter how I install them.

What you are describing sound more like crevice corrosion than the rusting that the o.p. described. Crevice corrosion would happen, for instance, when a corrosive liquid (saltwater) is trapped between the stainless and the fiberglass to which it is attached. Putting some 4200 on the back of the fastener would preven that.

I would try the magnet test before using any new snap fasteners, and install them with 4200 on the threads of the screw.

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The last time I was in WM for some replacement snaps they had discontinued their all stainless snaps. They are all nickel-plated brass with a brass spring now. There's no way those will hold up in a marine environment. And yep, they're cheap.

I also found it difficult to source all stainless canvas hardware anywhere. I ended up mail ordering some spares here, good prices and TONS of specialty hardware: www.sailrite.com

If those are stud-screw snap bases, I'll bet my bottom dollar the screws are not stainless, or the didn't get bedded in sealant. They all have to be removed and replaced, and done sooner rather than later, before they won't come out. This on a 2007 boat???? For shame!! :oops:

DaveG

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Rust Issue Creeps up again 2007 205 Tourney

:roll: Still having Rust Pop up on Stair Climb. Side Snaps, cleats, and Bimini Sun Cover. What can be my next step. Factory has had dealer treat issues several times. Now I either want the Boat replaced or returned. I would have just gotten some lower end boat if all of these problems were going to fall on me. Any suggestions kindly received at crew.sixty@verizon.net

Thanks All

CJBROWN

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Re: Rust Issue Creeps up again 2007 205 Tourney

DaveG said:
>snip
Now I either want the Boat replaced or returned.

Good luck with that...let us know how that works out for you. :wink:

Stainless steel is not rust-proof. If you keep the boat in saltwater and have a damp climate it is not unusual to get some rusting. Apply a good metal protectant, keep the boat free of salt, and keep it covered. That should keep it at bay.

Your particular locale and application is not the fault of the boat or the manufacturer. And buying a cheaper boat wouldn't make a difference either.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I never clean, wax, nor even rinse off my stainless, after trips, leave out in open 365 days a year, NO RUST.

DaveG

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Rust

To tell you all the truth the boat was fixed up by dealer last year and is kept in dry state all summer in boatel at Indian River. I understand that there are a
still conditions to consider and that I am well aware that rust never is full proof to prevent but I feel this is far from case. I have seen many Gradys in yard that are beat to the pulp and why is it I do not see rust on these vessels? The case is that Grady needs to explain and make things righ in producing a product on the market that is suppose to elevate aboe all other manufactuers. That is what we pay all the exta money for.

BobP

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
What did dealer do as "fix - up" specifically ?

If you are not happy with fix up, go back to factory, take photos and email to factory condition now. And don't clean any stains off the gelcoat.

You ought to be dealing with a higher level at factory, I suggest Joey Weller (sp?). It's a factory issue, not dealer issue IMHO.

DaveG

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 205
Rust issue

The dealer ran over all the metals on boat going as far as the railings bow side and treating root of where rod ends go into fiberglass. Rust was leaking or should I say bleeding color. They cleaned and sealed areas all over including the button snaps and replaced ladder and treated platform also replacing hardware. It has not gotten back to where it once was but I can see signs of it all forming again. Visibly you can see rust coming out at weld beads on ladder. This is a brand newadder also. I really want to be with a factory rep instead of going through dealer. The dealer is not a good conduit for making decisions on their behalf. Any advice from all of you is greatly appreciated!!!