Need Info on 265 Express

Bill_N

Reaction score
Twin 200 HPDI's are absolutly enough power for a 265. I've ran a 2000 265 with HPDI's 2 years ago and they seemed like the perfect power for that hull. But the boat had a few issues that the owner wouldn't address so we kept looking until we found an '02 with F225's.

Economy wise they're about the same except you have to buy 2 stroke oil for the HPDI's so it will cost a little more to run them. But they have better torque than the 4 strokes.

A pair of the new F225's would probably be the ultimate power choice as they're lighter and have more power than the original F225's.

I agree you have to add up the cost of upgrades or additions to get the boat outfitted the way you want it. The 2000 we looked at had very low hours but no outriggers, rocket launcher or rod holders on the hardtop frame. The electronics were also very basic and needed to be upgraded.
The '02 we ended up buying had all these things even though I did put new electronics on it last spring. I'm glad we waited until the '02 came along.

Bill

YellowDog

Reaction score
Bill_N said:
Twin 200 HPDI's are absolutly enough power for a 265. I've ran a 2000 265 with HPDI's 2 years ago and they seemed like the perfect power for that hull. But the boat had a few issues that the owner wouldn't address so we kept looking until we found an '02 with F225's.

Economy wise they're about the same except you have to buy 2 stroke oil for the HPDI's so it will cost a little more to run them. But they have better torque than the 4 strokes.

A pair of the new F225's would probably be the ultimate power choice as they're lighter and have more power than the original F225's.

I agree you have to add up the cost of upgrades or additions to get the boat outfitted the way you want it. The 2000 we looked at had very low hours but no outriggers, rocket launcher or rod holders on the hardtop frame. The electronics were also very basic and needed to be upgraded.
The '02 we ended up buying had all these things even though I did put new electronics on it last spring. I'm glad we waited until the '02 came along.

Bill

Thanks for you reply Bill, much appreciated. And you are happy with the ride?

jekyl

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Having had both motors on the same (2000) hull I can tell you the 200HPDI's feel more like you would image an F250 to feel compared to a F225. If that makes any sense.
I have read elsewhere that the F225 actually develops around 208 HP. Given that it is a 4s then it is also less torquey than the 2Stroke 200hpdi.

Whilst there are lots of very happy owners with more than 1000hrs ,and the 200 hpdi is certainly one of Yamaha's most reliable motors the inherent problem with 2 strokes is if you lose oil and or fuel (premixed) in one cylinder then you can easily toast a motor as I did. Generally a 4stroke will not run or an alarm will give you time to save the motor.

I had every filter and pump overhaulled in my hpdi's by a Yamaha certified mechanic and really felt that I had serviced them beyond the norm. However a lousy injector failure (yamaha USA's diagnosis) killed my motor, so like anything mechanical you can be unlucky.

From a resale point of veiw there is no doubt in my mind that 4Stroke is certainly the way of the future. Consequently, eventually any 2 stroke boat will eventually lose even more value as 4 strokes become more popular but also more requested by gov authorities etc. It's only a matter of time and I think we will see waterways being restricted to 4 strokes only. Maybe not soon but I can see it becoming a reality.

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
The HPDI's are plenty of power.
You are not going to break any speed records, but you can cruise right along at 28 to 32 mph - and hit 40 if needed-

Not sure where you are in Mass - but I am Groton Ct - would certainly take you for a spin in about four weeks when the boat is in the water- or heck, wait until mid May and take you for some fantastic striper action in Long Island Sound!

Tim

YellowDog

Reaction score
fishingFINattic said:
The HPDI's are plenty of power.
You are not going to break any speed records, but you can cruise right along at 28 to 32 mph - and hit 40 if needed-

Not sure where you are in Mass - but I am Groton Ct - would certainly take you for a spin in about four weeks when the boat is in the water- or heck, wait until mid May and take you for some fantastic striper action in Long Island Sound!

Tim

Tim, Thank you so much for the offer! I could visit "Enough" in Boca in the winter and when the bass arrive I can take a spin to CT!

A cruise of 28-32 is pretty good for me. I had a downeaster which ran 17 and a center console which I ran gently, usually at 25, so anything in the upper 20's is great.

Bill_N

Reaction score
The boat rides great and is very stable at drift or while trolling. It's a lot of boat for 26 feet! I did 3 canyon trips on it last year and ran through some nasty stuff on parts of all three. The boat handled it fine. There's plenty of room under the hardtop for the crew going back and forth and the fishbox is huge which is another nice thing about the boat.

Tim probably has the most experience running his boat offshore. I know he's done some overnighters on his which I'd like to do this year.

Bill

jskylar

Reaction score
265 Express numbers w/f225's

Just purchased in Nov. 09 and only have had the opportunity to get it out 3 times for shake downs and getting used to all the functions. I wanted to be able to trailer and with the 9'7" beam it's about as big as I want to put on a trailer. I love the center consul layout with seating on either side and the cabin should be great for weekend trips. Here are the numbers based on the Yamaha gauges with 15-1/4 x 17p stainless 3 blades.

3600 rpm 2.00 mpg at 24 mph 12 gph burn
3800 rpm 1.95 mpg at 26 mph 13.5 gph
3900 rpm 1.90 mpg at 27 mph 14 gph
4000 rpm 1.90 mpg at 28 mph 14.4 gph
4100 rpm 1.95 mpg at 29 mph 15 gph
4200 rpm 1.90 mpg at 30 mph 16 gph

The numbers were jumping around so they are not mathematically exact but as close as I could interpolate. 3600 rpm gave the best mpg but the 3800 rpm to 4100 rpm gives away very little mpg for the increased speed. I will probably settle on 4100 as a cruise rpm. I did check wot and pushed it to 6100 with 1/2 fuel and myself at 48mph. I have a pair of power tech 4 blade stainless 15-1/4 dia x 18 pitch that I will put on after I replace the impellers and will report back on the results.

So far love the boat, just can't wait to get some fishing/camping trips in the San Juan's and Vancouver Island. I did purchase a portable hot water shower that I can use on the hook with a 10# fiberglass propane cylinder, love those showers in the morning.

YellowDog

Reaction score
Re: 265 Express numbers w/f225's

jskylar said:
Just purchased in Nov. 09 and only have had the opportunity to get it out 3 times for shake downs and getting used to all the functions. I wanted to be able to trailer and with the 9'7" beam it's about as big as I want to put on a trailer. I love the center consul layout with seating on either side and the cabin should be great for weekend trips. Here are the numbers based on the Yamaha gauges with 15-1/4 x 17p stainless 3 blades.

3600 rpm 2.00 mpg at 24 mph 12 gph burn
3800 rpm 1.95 mpg at 26 mph 13.5 gph
3900 rpm 1.90 mpg at 27 mph 14 gph
4000 rpm 1.90 mpg at 28 mph 14.4 gph
4100 rpm 1.95 mpg at 29 mph 15 gph
4200 rpm 1.90 mpg at 30 mph 16 gph

The numbers were jumping around so they are not mathematically exact but as close as I could interpolate. 3600 rpm gave the best mpg but the 3800 rpm to 4100 rpm gives away very little mpg for the increased speed. I will probably settle on 4100 as a cruise rpm. I did check wot and pushed it to 6100 with 1/2 fuel and myself at 48mph. I have a pair of power tech 4 blade stainless 15-1/4 dia x 18 pitch that I will put on after I replace the impellers and will report back on the results.

So far love the boat, just can't wait to get some fishing/camping trips in the San Juan's and Vancouver Island. I did purchase a portable hot water shower that I can use on the hook with a 10# fiberglass propane cylinder, love those showers in the morning.

Great report Jskylar, many thanks. Which engines do you have on your boat?

fishingFINattic

Reaction score
I shower in the bathroom - water is not warm but that is okay - when on the hook local kids sell 5 gallons of water for 2$ delivered to the boat - that way we can last 4 or 5 nights! :)

Tim

YellowDog

Reaction score
jellyfish said:
check the one out on e-bay right now.

Jellyfish, that is the boat I was speaking of when I started this topic. I looked at it and thought it might be a nice boat to put new power on, but the concensus is that it doesn't make much sense to do that.

There are several boats out there with hpdi's or 4 strokes which would be had for the cost of a repower. Not a bad boat though, some cleanup and maybe come refinished coaming pads and she'll be ready to go.

jellyfish

Reaction score
YellowDog said:
jellyfish said:
check the one out on e-bay right now.

Jellyfish, that is the boat I was speaking of when I started this topic. I looked at it and thought it might be a nice boat to put new power on, but the concensus is that it doesn't make much sense to do that.

There are several boats out there with hpdi's or 4 strokes which would be had for the cost of a repower. Not a bad boat though, some cleanup and maybe come refinished coaming pads and she'll be ready to go.
I had a 265 withe the twin HPDI's and those were the right engines for that boat, however if I was to buy another 265 it would only be with 225 Four Strokes. There was a 265 with one bad engine that sold for a very low price a few months ago on e-bay. They do show up from time to time. The boat is a monster and likes to run fast.

YellowDog

Reaction score
"I had a 265 with the twin HPDI's and those were the right engines for that boat, however if I was to buy another 265 it would only be with 225 Four Strokes"

Jelly, why is that, is that because of the resale ability, easier to sell when the time comes?