Need info to order Edson Steering Wheel

Reaction score
Would like to replace the steering wheel on my 2007 330 Grady with an Edson wheel. Anyone know the Grady shaft size in a 2007 330?

slapshot1848

Reaction score
Call Grady customer service, I'm sure it's a tapered bore vs straight. Taper is the marine std. Also, make sure to ask the the size of the nut you will need as well.

Enough Already

Reaction score
More of a SeaStar type of question. Check your model number and then head to the SeaStar website - lots of info, manuals, technical info.

Reaction score
Thanks, I have now learned that the shaft size is 3/4" tapered.....now all I need to know is the nut size.....

Tucker

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Don't know the nut size but I know the Chinese knock-off steering wheels are a fraction of the cost of an Edson.

Reaction score
Thanks, but those Chinese knock-off wheels have but a very small fraction of the quality of an Edson wheel........

slapshot1848

Reaction score
wouldn't the nut size be the same as the shaft? I just installed mine today, unfortunately I did not measure the nut itself but the one I took off I had to use a 15/16th socket to get it off if that helps. Also, find a wheel puller it will make the job much easier. Also, once I installed the new wheel there was about a 1/2 to 1/4 inch gap between the black wheel mount and the wheel itself. I figured the was ok as the seastar standard wheel that came with the boat had a much deeper base to it than the edson wheel did. I will post pic here soon.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Seastar helms use a 5/8-20 nut. Edson and other makers make different size nuts, because hynautic and Teleflex both use a different size.

I too am hunting for a replacement wheel with a knob...I had one on the last boat and it makes maneuvering around the dock much easier.

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Ok, so my wife got me an Edson wheel (With knob) for our 2009 330 for Fathers Day. What us the best way to remove the nut on the wheel, without dinging it? Also, I am presuming it is a standard thread, not Left-Hand?

Thanks,
Mike

artodea

Reaction score
Sometimes the wheel can be pretty well stuck to the tapered shaft. Remove the nut and use a gear puller - I picked up the three-pack from harbor freight and one of them worked fine:
https://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-three-jaw-puller-set-8832.html

Not my picture, but googled this:
3.jpg

Some steering shafts have a recessed face that helps center the point of the gear puller, some don't. If you have a flat faced steering shaft, use a center punch to locate the gear puller. It can take quite a bit of force to pop the wheel off.

Good luck!

themikehyde

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.themikehyde.com
Thanks. I ended up using a large adjustable wrench (the old square type) with a heavy towel to loosen the nut. Of course, the wheel was stuck, so next trip back is with the 3 arm gear puller.

Can't wait to try out the knob!

Thanks
Mike