Need New Trailer for 192 Tournament - single or double axle? Type?

Seanic4256

Reaction score
Model
Tournament 192
I’m nearing the end of my 1999 Load Rite single axle trailer (roller, galvanized) for my 1999 192 Tournament. It is a model 19300GG1 which I believe may be rated at 3,100 pounds.

Looking for recommendations from other 192, or similar, owners on single vs. double axle. I‘m thinking to go with bunks, torsion suspension, aluminum frame, disc brakes, LED lights, etc....

The current single axle is easy to maneuver and it takes up min space in driveway. The length from the bow eye to coupler is important as I want to minimize that dimension so we can park a car in the driveway too. Currently, the single axle trailer measures 4’-7” from ball to bow eye.

My rig, loaded, to include boat, motor, fuel, batteries, gear, coolers, ice, bait, etc is comig in around 3,400 pounds.

I’ve been very happy with my Load Rite and was leaning to purchasing another one. I’m also heavily leaning to the double axle model since I trailer anywhere from 5 miles to 80 miles (each way). I’m looking at the Load Rite Model # AB21T5200102TB1 or AB21T5200LTB1. It is rated at 5200 pounds. The single axle Load Rite biggest model comes in around 3,600 pounds which doesn’t provide a big buffer with my total load.

I’m in the Wash DC area and looked at Dave’s Trailers in Glen Burnie MD for some initial pricing.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or experiences appreciated.

Sean

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
A single axle with a 5200 lb axle will give you a net capacity of about 4400 lbs. It will likely have 15 inch tires.

LoadRite may not make one....if they don’t keep shopping.

NHAngler

Reaction score
The one thing I hate about my single axle trailer is that it is the same reason I like it. One axle means less to maintain. This also means less redundancy if a wheel fails. If you stick with a single, I suggest keeping good tires and maintained bearings.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
If you want to be able to move the boat when you have a flat, get a tandem. If you are okay with changing a tire under it or leaving it on the side of the road, get a single. The cost, in the long run, is not that big a deal. I will buy a new tandem, eventually, maybe a tri...the 270 can use a tri easy heh, but that is a lot different beast:p so will prob stick to a tandem.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
With your size boat, either a single or a double can work. Strong cases can be made either way. A lot of this will come down to personal preference.

One thing I noticed on those dual axles you listed... you listed model numbers with brakes on only one axle. Best to get brakes on both. In some states, it's even a requirement/law. You can NEVER have enough braking power.

seasick

Reaction score
I like having dual axles just for the redundancy. It is true that two axles means more maintenance but they offer in my opinion more stability to the load especially when not hitched to a tow vehicle. As for brakes, they are the most common area for issues, up there with bearings. bearings are easy to maintain but brakes can seize especially if left sitting for long periods as mine do. I have single axle brakes and they are fine for my trips.
Although load capacity is a major factor is selected a trailer, so is bunk( or roller) to winch roller distance. It should be appropriate for your specific transom to bow eye measurement. In some cases, a trailer vendor may not offer a twin axle trailer with the correct bow eye length for smaller hulls. (The measurement may be too long forcing you to shift the forward and that will result in excessive tongue weight)

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
From GW Brochure, your weights are as follows:

Hull: 2075
Motor: 475
Fuel (60 gal): 420
Gear, batteries, water, etc... - approximately 500

So you are at 3400 lbs. If you want to add 10% reserve, you are in the neighborhood of 3700-3800 lbs.

In your neck of the woods, the 3 big trailer manufacturers are Load Rite, EZLoader and Venture. Some options would be:

EZLoader: A102BT 18-20 3900 (3900 lb capacity - single axle, aluminum, bunk)
Load Rite: LR-AB203600102TB1 (3600 lb capacity aluminum, bunk, single axle with brakes)
Venture doesn't make anything big enough in a single axle.

Another option is to call S&S Marine in Norfolk. They are a Loadmaster dealer. Loadmaster, along with Peterson, Owens, etc...make a trailer that is more custom fit to the hull. They can almost certainly build you a single axle with a 5200 lb / 15" rim set up that will carry over 4000 lbs net. Norfolk is a little further to go get it, but it's closer than Florida.