Need photo of 2008 or newer 330

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Hey all,
I am switching my swim ladder from the 3 step that clips onto the transom in front of engines to the current Windline TXL-4E that Grady currently uses.
The problem is that the swim platform on my 2002 is not squared off so the ladder would be at a 45 degree angle when extended - not a good idea (see photo to get an idea of my problem)
Grady changed to the Windline in 2008 - so if someone has or could take a photo that shows what Grady did to the swim platform to enable the installation of the TXL-4E I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance ECF10C9C-3E6F-4647-B763-F948D86E5B9E.jpeg

Reactions: FirstTimeGrady

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330

Attachments

• 76657EEA-7B16-4F74-9E5A-BD3E6C8B0BD1.jpeg
    76657EEA-7B16-4F74-9E5A-BD3E6C8B0BD1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 44

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
The ladder you're talking about is just a regular platform mount ladder, right? That should be fine. Just mount it so the aft end is off the edge of the platform enough to let the ladder drop straight down.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This isn’t my boat but i walked by it on the dock tonight and snapped a photo. I’ve been thinking of adding something similar to this (google pointed me to Lowes of all places). It should work with the older style ladders which is what I have:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Garelick-T...wnvCikrb_jpVqwXAjyxoCoEAQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
Thanks for taking the photo - it shows what I expected which is a squaring off of the swim platform to allow the rather short attaching brace to fully rest on the swim platform
On the older style 330 (my boat) only one of the two mounting holes will actually reach the platform. An alternative I’m considering is to weld a longer ss base under the bracket & attach the extension to the platform

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Thanks for taking the photo - it shows what I expected which is a squaring off of the swim platform to allow the rather short attaching brace to fully rest on the swim platform
On the older style 330 (my boat) only one of the two mounting holes will actually reach the platform. An alternative I’m considering is to weld a longer ss base under the bracket & attach the extension to the platform
I have a 2007 330 and it appears from that photo that someone has put some sort of a base to accommodate the ladder. Looks like something is sticking up in between the down legs of the ladder maybe it allows it to mount farther aft. Can’t tell from the photo but it does appear something has been added to the transom.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The ladder you're talking about is just a regular platform mount ladder, right? That should be fine. Just mount it so the aft end is off the edge of the platform enough to let the ladder drop straight down.
Dennis - do you think that welding an extension under the mounting brace will provide a lasting solution - I don’t know enough about the strength of ss welding

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Jip, it must be the pictures, but when I look at your picture, there doesn't appear to be any more of a "45*" than that other picture?

Yes, welding a 1/4" SS plate would work just fine (make sure they use an SS filler material!), BUT...

You could look into other ladders, too. Windline is nice - but there are plenty of other choices. You might find some that have a longer bracket. JIF is a decent ladder for a great price, as an example of one to look into. I also know that there are companies that make ladders that first slide out and then flip down - that would completely solve your problem. As an example there, go look at GG Schmitt & Sons. They make top of the line ladders and many higher end boat manufacturers use them.

A downside to welding is that if it's not done perfectly (small air gaps) and/or not ground down smooth, you'll be dealing with rust streaking from crevice corrosion the rest of the time you have the boat.

Reactions: jip40

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I'm not recommending this ladder or this vendor (just stumbled across in a quick google search) but there ARE options out there with "Extended" hinges.

georgemjr

Reaction score
What is the benefit to the ladder you want to change to? I personally prefer the style on my 2007 as it allows you to put your foot into it from the side whish is particularly helpful if you have dive fins on but also more convenient even if you don't. Curious as to the perceived benefits. One improvement would be if it was mounted Port - makes it easier to slide in fish without damaging them on the ladder, but makes boarding the boat more cumbersome.

everwhom

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've never really liked my ladder either (2003 330 Express). I've wondered if there's enough room to mount of these hidden ones: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/garelick--3-step-compact-eez-in-ii-transom-mount-ladder--13946934

My buddy has a 2008 Canyon 336 and I believe the ladder and platform is exactly the same as you're contemplating. The fiberglass is molded to fit the ladder so there's less of a drop between the metal and the glass. I think the ladder would still work fine, but it wouldn't look quite as neat as factory.

jip40

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
The main benefit of the telescoping ladder is that it can be deployed from the water where the original ladder can not. I know you can stand on cavitation plate & push the button to raise you up but I am 82 yo & not wanting to try that.
Even as important to me is that I just repowered with new Suzuki DF250AP & they hit the ladder mounted on transom when the engines are raised to full height.
I think I found a solution on eBay. There is a listing for Windline ladder model TPL-4XPE - it has a much longer mounting base. I called Windline customer service & found the ladder was custom made for Godfrey, a pontoon boat manufacturer. It is made with the same quality components as the ladder Grady uses. I ordered one & will have it mounted on port side next week. I will post a photo after it’s installed in case anyone else is interested.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
The main benefit of the telescoping ladder is that it can be deployed from the water where the original ladder can not. I know you can stand on cavitation plate & push the button to raise you up but I am 82 yo & not wanting to try that.
Even as important to me is that I just repowered with new Suzuki DF250AP & they hit the ladder mounted on transom when the engines are raised to full height.
I think I found a solution on eBay. There is a listing for Windline ladder model TPL-4XPE - it has a much longer mounting base. I called Windline customer service & found the ladder was custom made for Godfrey, a pontoon boat manufacturer. It is made with the same quality components as the ladder Grady uses. I ordered one & will have it mounted on port side next week. I will post a photo after it’s installed in case anyone else is interested.
82 and still boating!! I commend you sir!! I hope and plan to still be doing this for a very long time. Good luck with your ladder project. Definitely post pics of the finished product.

Reactions: jap201