Need Some Help Locating Where My Boat Leaks From.

happybanker

Reaction score
I have water in the bilge of my 2005 28ft Sailfish. Floating on my dock the bilge is bone dry. After 10 minutes of cruising in the harbor at 5mph I see a slow trickle of water starting to flow into the bilge coming from the stern of the boat. Two gallons of water (close to three inches of water) accumulates in the bilge after a day out on the ocean. I have never seen the bilge pump switch on. The water in the bilge once it gets to the three inch level does not seem go any higher. Any thoughts?

reelserious

Reaction score
While the boat is at rest and dry in the aft bilge, have you checked to see how much is in your forward bilge area? It is possible that what you are seeing while underway, is simply the water in the forward going aft while the bow is up while underway. Hopefully it is that simple.

Reactions: Pighunter

mhff34

Reaction score
Agree with reelserious. Probably coming from the bow and may not be saltwater.

drbatts

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Could be water moving around in the bilge. When you are out, do you run your washdown or water pumps? Do you hear them running when your not using them? in a 15 YO boat you could have a water or hose leak filling your bilge. Years ago I had a washdown hose develop a hole which was filling my bilge.

Reactions: Zebulon

happybanker

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestions. All seacocks are closed underway. I do not think any water is coming in from the front bilge area since I have closed off that area and it is dry.