Need some windlass advice

danothemano

Reaction score
Sorry in advance for the "stupid" question, but ....

I'm relatively new to boating and I just had a Lewmar Pro Series 700 Windlass installed on my 2000 Islander. I do quite a bit of fishing and I simply got tired of hauling the anchor up and down ( and the wife got tired of doing it as well !!)

I'm looking for some basic advice on operating the windlass, e.g. setting the anchor, retrieving the anchor, safety, things to watch out for, etc.

All advice appreciated !!

dduflo

Reaction score
Your question is far from stupid especially when you learn how to do it correctly then watch others. Kind of like going to the boat launch ramp and watching a daytime version of SNL. Making certain that you have enough rode, line and the proper anchor for boat and location is an important starting point. I recently installed a Pro Fish 700 on my Islander and found the owners manual very informative. It will answer many of your queations. There are a lot of variables depending on bottom type, depth, boat size, anchor design and weight, the reason for anchoring in the first place. Give us some more particulars and maybe someone could help. Taking a Power Squadron or USCG boating course would also be a great place to start. I have owned and operated boats for over 30 years and had no idea how much I did not know until I took the USCG Captains course.

Fishermanbb

Reaction score
Here are the basics:

1. Head into the wind
2. Get the boat to zero headway
3. Lower the anchor slowly with the windlass until it is just in the water
4. Give the boat a slight touch into reverse and place the anchor in "Freefall"
5. When the anchor hits bottom give it additional reverse (Slowly) and play out enough rode for the conditions you're in.
6. Check the "Set" on the anchor by tugging on the rode. Then..Secure the anchor line to a CLEAT....Never hang off of the windlass.

To retrieve:

1. Start your engines
2. Uncleat the anchor line and let it play out until you are hanging on the windlass
3. Inch forward with the engines to relieve the tension on the anchor rode....Never haul the boat forward with the windlass unless you have little or no wind/tide.
4. Continue to retrieve the line using the windlass....Only use enough engine power to relieve the tension....steer the boat towards the rode but have a spotter in the bow to point you correctly (If possible) and make sure you do not run over the rode. Try to angle the boat a few degrees to the leeward side of the anchor set if possible.

When the anchor pops free put the boat in neutral and retrieve all the way BUT, keep an eye out as it retrieves to be sure you aren't drifting where you don't want to. If you need to...Just idle in place until the chain comes up and then SLOWLY pull the anchor all the way up.

Extra tip....It's a good idea to have the safety lanyard on the anchor when underway....If the windlass clutch let's go you won't have gelcoat work to fix as well....

Banana River View

Reaction score
I sometimes use my bow thruster to keep me facing the anchor rode as I retreive it. Be careful with this though. I overran the rode and actually sucked it into my bow thruster. I was stuck. Could not raise the anchor as it was jammed hard into the thruster and still anchored to river bottom.

Luckily I have tow insurance and was able to get them to reach under boat with a boat hook and I was able to manually pull anchor onto deck.

I had to get a diver to come to the boat the next day and he could not salvage the rode and it had to be cut. Pretty expensive lesson.

Just thought I would throw that out for you that have bow thrusters.. BRV

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
danothemano said:
... things to watch out for, etc.

All advice appreciated !!

Three-strand line for a windlass is NOT the same as the line you have now. It is firmer, and has a harder finish, to resist abrasion in the gypsy.

I will reemphasize the need to cleat the line. All windlass manuals tell you not to ride to the windlass. It damages the brake/clutch.

Brian