Need to add some rod holders

Funandplay

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Anyone know of someone that can add some rod holders to my 282? I’m located in Dana Point, Ca

Ling king

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Are you talking about welding rod holders on the aluminum tower of drilling fiberglass on the rail. Im doing both on my 282 up in Ventura now.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Anyone know of someone that can add some rod holders to my 282? I’m located in Dana Point, Ca

I added some to my 228. Learn from my mistakes, little grasshopper. I bought a 5 tube holder from amazon and I mounted it on the back of the transom. Works great when the engine is down, not enough room with reels there for the engine to tilt up. Solutions - move the rods or get a transom saver and don't tip the engine all the way. I'll probably do the transom saver, I like those anyway, they seem like a more solid answer than the little lever you flip.

I looked at some 282 pics, seems like maybe you could put 3-4 tubes on the back side of your transom on the port side.

Jimm H

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Have 28 pole holders on my 228. Put an Atlantic Towers radar Arch on (4) and added another 8 from Dolphin ($30 each). Have 4 on the stern live well (used only for storage, 2 more Plastic ones added one to each side of those, then the 6 under the side rails (realistically, the long handled deck brush occupies 2 and the Gaff another, the four Grady standard trolling holders on the 2 side rails. Also added 4 more that clamp to the stainless steel side rails. Lastly 2 each Tite-Lock adjustable pole holders right up on the side rails that can be adjusted outward for trolling from the cockpit. I need 2 on my 42 gallon live well to finish it off .

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Have 28 pole holders on my 228. Put an Atlantic Towers radar Arch on (4) and added another 8 from Dolphin ($30 each). Have 4 on the stern live well (used only for storage, 2 more Plastic ones added one to each side of those, then the 6 under the side rails (realistically, the long handled deck brush occupies 2 and the Gaff another, the four Grady standard trolling holders on the 2 side rails. Also added 4 more that clamp to the stainless steel side rails. Lastly 2 each Tite-Lock adjustable pole holders right up on the side rails that can be adjusted outward for trolling from the cockpit. I need 2 on my 42 gallon live well to finish it off .

Pics please?

Jimm H

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I'll take some today when pick up the boat

Captain TJ

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
If you decide to put the rocket launcher mount in front of your engines raise the engines all the way up first and measure how close they get and be sure you can clear them. I have an ugly scratch on top of my starboard engine cowl because I didn't know they didn't clear and was raising to flip the travel lock and hit the rocket launcher. I now know to go only till I can barely flip the lock then back down or it scrapes it. I love the extra rod storage but not happy with my reminder every time I look at that cowl.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
If you decide to put the rocket launcher mount in front of your engines raise the engines all the way up first and measure how close they get and be sure you can clear them. I have an ugly scratch on top of my starboard engine cowl because I didn't know they didn't clear and was raising to flip the travel lock and hit the rocket launcher. I now know to go only till I can barely flip the lock then back down or it scrapes it. I love the extra rod storage but not happy with my reminder every time I look at that cowl.

This is good advice. I have enough room on my 228 for the engine to come forward and lock in place. But I can't transport with rods in the holders, they'd scratch up the engine. But it still gives me out of the way storage for 5 rods so that's nice.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I have some 90° Lees rod holders, that I will eventually put in the transom on my SF228, which takes engine tilt out of the picture.
I did the same on my 93 tournament, and they work out great for going under the low bridges in my neighborhood canal.57B79029-E9D2-45B6-8F83-0E16E2436EC1.jpeg