NEED to find GROSS tonnage for my 82 Seafarer-226 ?

82seafarer

Reaction score
Although I have checked out your forum before (which is great) this is my first posting - Looking forward to using the forum !

Anyway, I am finishing up my application for My USCG Captain's licence and I need to figure out the GROSS TONS for my 1982 GW Seafarer-226 to complete my application today. I went online and everything I found looked quite confusing and dedicated to ships and large sailboats. Does anyone know the approx Gross Tons offhand for these boats or how to figure them out easily ?

Thanks for your help.

Seahunter

Reaction score
Gross tonnage is a measure of displacement. For your 226 you're most likely looking at a gross ton, if even that.

A kin to calling your S-10 pick-up a tractor trailer.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Seahunter said:
Gross tonnage is a measure of displacement.

Well, sorry to say that is not correct.

Displacement is simply the actual total weight of the vessel. If you had a trailerable boat and weighted the rig, then subtracted the weight of the empty trailer, you would have the weight, or displacement, of the vessel.

Gross tonnage is a measure of the total internal volume of a vessel. For this calculation, one 'ton' is equal to 100 cubic feet of space.

Although used to get tonnage for documentation purposes, this form demonstrates that the tonnage is calculated using vessel dimensions, with no regard to the weight of the vessel.
http://www.uscg.mil/hq/msc/docs/CG-5397_Rev_6-04_v1_0b.pdf

Almost all small vessels have a GT that is greater than the displacement.

Brian
Master, Oceans, Steam, Motor or Sail, 1600-Tons
Chief Mate, Oceans, Unlimited Tonnage

82seafarer

Reaction score
GROSS TONNAGE

Thanks guys. All my paperwork is done and in ! Now I just have to wait............Ed.

freddy063

Reaction score
I called GW customer service and they told me what my boat was and it's different than the calculation I came up with.

82seafarer

Reaction score
GROSS TONNAGE

Thanks,
I didn't think of calling GW to get the exact tonnage but that sounds like a good idea ! I will try and call them...............Ed.

shadow379

Reaction score
Gross Tonnage

Grady customer service gave me the exact Tonnage for my boat, 24ft 5.1 gross tons, had to do the same thing for my license paperwork.