Need to replace transom hatches on Gulfstream

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I apologize for the terrible picture but the boat is all covered up for the winter. Does anyone know where I can buy replacements for the two transom hatches on my 1998 Gulfstream? The plastic trim which seems to be part of the hatch is severely faded.

Thanks,

Brenden

Attachments

• 1708074579.png
    1708074579.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 57

seasick

Reaction score
It's not a web link, looks It looks like a link to a file that was downloaded to the local C drive

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Unless you can google around and find them used somewhere (and hopefully in good condition), your only bet is likely to be through Grady. Give your local dealer a call and check on it. Or, if they are at least "solid" (maybe just needs a little sanding to get rid of that "plastic" oxidation), you can remove and paint them.

Edit: Another option might be to look for a different style (aesthetically speaking) of hatch in the aftermarket. Open your cover (or use a shrink door) and remove the existing hatch - measure the opening. Try a place like TH Marine or Bomar - or just google for hatches. Don't be afraid to cut the opening a little larger, if need be.

Last edited:

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I appreciate the advice. Just bought the boat in October and with the other projects I'm working on with it I may need to try and do the most cost-friendly temporary fix possible right now. Any suggestions on the type of spray paint to paint over the faded plastic?

suzukidave

Reaction score
I appreciate the advice. Just bought the boat in October and with the other projects I'm working on with it I may need to try and do the most cost-friendly temporary fix possible right now. Any suggestions on the type of spray paint to paint over the faded plastic?

i think i have the same hatches on my 223 with the yellowed surround and lexan door. you can order custom fabricated hatches to fit. in theory you could get a plastic hatch company to make a replacement surround only out of starboard and then reuse the hatch and hardware, but i think you need to find someone small to be willing do that.

i talked to boatoutfitters and finaddict and at first they said they could replace the surround if i sent the entire hatch but after a little discussion it was clear both really only wanted to make their own replacement hatches assembly from scratch and would probably recommend that after looking at my hatch. so easier to just send them measurements in the first place, but it commits you to replace every hatch on the boat if you want stuff to match.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/build-your-own-custom-starboard-boat-door

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I've used both Krylon and Rustoleum with good results - make sure you get the one that specifically says it can be used on plastic.

As with most paint jobs, the prep is the key. A scrub pad and soapy water should do real well to knock off the rough, UV-damaged layers and get to something more solid.

Last edited:

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Try sanding them smooth. bet they'll clean up nice.. if not, they'll be prepped for paint.

If that doesn't work out, starboard is easy to frame out using wood working tools...table saw with plywood blade, mitre saw, jigs saw, router

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Finished the hatches and I am happy with the result. Very easy to do and I ended up spending about 5 bucks. Even if it lasts a few seasons I’ll gladly pull and re-spray. Thanks for the advice and suggestions everyone.

On to the next project... EP60r fuel sensor and NMEA2000 backbone piped into my Simrad GO7.

Attachments

• B78413DE-015E-4B8E-B927-97976B70AA38.jpeg
    B78413DE-015E-4B8E-B927-97976B70AA38.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • 8F38C327-B7C2-4C59-8485-736B158C7D92.jpeg
    8F38C327-B7C2-4C59-8485-736B158C7D92.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 29
Reactions: SkunkBoat

Dukke

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Go to boat outfitters build your own starboard doors , just did mine 2000 Gulf Stream 13x 13 , 11.25 cut out , 9.5 opening

Halfhitch

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I recently hooked up my GO9 SIMRAD to a 2K backbone. I didn't need the EP60 fuel meter because my engine produces that data already. I just needed to add a Navico fuel data manager onto the backbone. I don't know what year your engine is but it would save you a lot of hassle if you didn't have to measure fuel flow. This is what I had to add to my Simrad system to wake up the fuel data...
https://lr.factoryoutletstore.com/d...r.html?category_id=20508&catalogitemid=232010

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have the original 98 Yamaha 250 ox66 which is not 2k capable so unfortunately I have to measure fuel flow with an external sensor. A part of me doesn’t even want to know how much fuel the ‘ole reliable is sucking down but I want the data in order to have a more accurate measure of the fuel remaining in my tanks. Those original fuel senders are getting old.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have the original 98 Yamaha 250 ox66 which is not 2k capable so unfortunately I have to measure fuel flow with an external sensor. A part of me doesn’t even want to know how much fuel the ‘ole reliable is sucking down but I want the data in order to have a more accurate measure of the fuel remaining in my tanks. Those original fuel senders are getting old.
I take it you don't have the original Yamaha gauges? They show fuel flow, tank level, etc.

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I have the Yamaha tach and speedo but not fuel flow gauge. I Would need to buy the Yamaha fuel flow sensor and gauge but I figured it is a better idea to have the data run through my simrad that I just bought in anticipation of a repower in the future. Who knows if I’ll stick with Yamaha with the outrageous cost of their new motors.

Reactions: SkunkBoat

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
I have the Yamaha tach and speedo but not fuel flow gauge. I Would need to buy the Yamaha fuel flow sensor and gauge but I figured it is a better idea to have the data run through my simrad that I just bought in anticipation of a repower in the future. Who knows if I’ll stick with Yamaha with the outrageous cost of their new motors.
The fuel flow "gauge" is already built into the Yamaha gauge. Cycle through the different modes and you'll get to the GPH page. Unless you don't have the fuel flow sensor already installed? But I thought that was more or less a standard thing?

LongIslandGulfstream

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
It wasn’t standard back in 1998. I Only have a tach and a Speedo with no capability for fuel consumption data using those two gauges alone.