Need Trailer advice for 2004 Grady White Marlin 30

Kenlahr

Reaction score
Trailer

Mine is a 282 Sailfish; they are close but I think the Marlin has a 10’ beam vice 9’6”. Regardless, it’s a big boat and it needs a big trailer. After a lot of research I selected Loadmaster of Ohio. My trailer was custom built for the boat. You are going to need breaks on three axels, electric over hydraulic. I also opted for full size 16” wheels vice the smaller 14” wheels. The trailer is rated for 26k. I specifically wanted excess capacity; I trailer from Maryland to Florida and Maryland to up state NY, not to mention weekly 3 hour hauls to Ocean City. If you are not going to trailer long or often, you could get away with the smaller tires, but in the end the extra cost was minimal. I also went with a galvanized frame vice aluminum. It’s a beast but I suspect it will last forever. I have a lot of miles on it and have not had any bearing problems or tire issues. Tread wear is even. My last trailer had 750# excess capacity and I thought I was ok. After several double blow-outs and going through a few bearings, I determined it was not enough trailer. (Ez Loader)

Whoever you go with, make sure that they know the height of the boat and that you want to keep your max at 13’ if possible. The legal limit is 13’6”. With the radar I am 13’3” and notice that my radar is flush mounted. This IS a big deal. Lots of low bridges out there.

Here is the web site: http://www.loadmastertrailerco.com/galv ... t-trailers

Call them and ask to speak with Gary Straw. They are great to work with and build custom trailers, so you can work bunk issues around transducers or any other custom job, they will do for you. It is nice to be in the design process from the ground up. I had them install a 50 gal fresh water wash down system in the belly of the trailer; a nice addition.

grady 306 bimini

Reaction score
for my 306 i have a magic tilt aluminum trailer triple axle i will post pics when i take delivery of the boat it is being outfitted by the dealer now
tim

ahill

Reaction score
Boat master located in Ft. Myers or Naples. Triple axle. They custom make the bunks to fit the boat and they do a lot of Gradys. My Sailfish is on a 10,000 # cap tandem and pulls great. Marlin is much heavier than the Sailfish.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
I would recommend a triple axle trailer with a 15,000 lb carry capacity. I have used this type of trailer for 5 years towing a Marlin for three of those and a 305 Express for the last two. Have had zero bearing problems or nothing for that matter.

I have a Shoreland'r and it's a large Aluminum I-Beam. Has 16 tires which I wouldn't accept any less.

I tow a lot with regular jaunts of over 400 miles. I would also recommend you get yourself a one ton dually to pull it.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Hi Marlin30..
A 350 Superduty is fine..The advantage of dual rear wheels is the side-to-side stability that it gives in crosswind situations; curves taken at speed, etc. The marlin is a big momma..the more stability and rubber on the road, the better.
That said, as long as you've got a Powerstroke as opposed to a gas engine, your 350 will get it done.

Hoghunter

Reaction score
magicalbill said:
Hi Marlin30..
A 350 Superduty is fine..The advantage of dual rear wheels is the side-to-side stability that it gives in crosswind situations; curves taken at speed, etc. The marlin is a big momma..the more stability and rubber on the road, the better.
That said, as long as you've got a Powerstroke as opposed to a gas engine, your 350 will get it done.

Ditto the 350 will certainly have the HP for the job. It will certainly pull the Marlin just fine. The dually's are just a much more stable platform.