Needa advice

gpayne625

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Recently purchase a 2005 90 Yamaha 4 stroke on my Grady and was wondering what the best fuel would be to run? 87, 89 or 93?

Fishtales

Reaction score
89 usually is called for and what is sold at marinas.

Last edited:

Sibs

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
If You are buying from the local pump vs a marina, I would personally avoid the 93. Here’s why I own a motorcycle shop any every spring my customers complain about intermittent stalling they all have 93 in common. My theory is the average person doesn’t pay the extra for super, so it sits around longer. Fuel nowadays can start to breakdown in a short period of time. So they are getting stale old gas. So 87 or 89 is fine just run ringfree and Yamaha stabil in every tank.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
87 if you are trailering. Dont waste money. All major gas stations (Exxon/Chevron/etc) have detergent ..aka Ring Free...already in it.
Must be E10 or less!!! Must be E10 or less!!! Must be E10 or less!!!

You could look up the spec in the manual. My DF140 and DF200 suzukis spec was "87 or greater".
A lot of marinas only have 89. 93 is a complete waste. Valvetec gas has detergent and stabilizer additive already in it.

Some Startron or Stabil would't hurt if you don't burn thru your tank every month or two

You don't need yamaha koolaid ...aka Ring Free...its a waste of bait money.

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
What State are you in? Some offer off-road ethanol free fuel.

My mechanic highly recommends using Yamaha's Ring-Free every time you add fuel. Also recommends 5-minute run at WOT. Both to clear carbon deposits out. Especially important if you do a lot of idling or trolling.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Ok, I drink the Ring Free flavored kool aid. My mechanic also said it's good to add it to the tank. They can tell the difference in motors that regularly use it and those that do not in part by the carbon build up on the plugs alone .

Some motors get better performance out if higher octane blends and if your manual says 89 octane ,try to stick with it. 87 octane will clearly run your motor and no damage will occur but maybe you don't get as good fuel economy out of it ..
I do my best to avoid ethanol and in my neck of the woods the only ethanol free fuel I can get is 92 octane . So that's what I buy for my boat and all my lawn equipment,chainsaws and such .

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
On a 2 stroke maybe good to do the cleanout with it twice a season.
he's got a 4 stroke motor. Ring free is a waste of money. Do you add add it to your car every tank?
That stuff is already in the gas.

and there are a lot cheaper brands of the same chemical.

Keitha

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
Octane has nothing to do with fuel economy or giving more performance. Simple: If the manufacture calls for premium, then use that. If they don't, then go with regular.
Octane is a fuels resistance to Detonation. High Octane rating means that it takes a bit more for the fuel to ignite. That is important when a engine is designed for it (Higher compression ration or more advanced ignition curve). For example: Many outboards are identical except for the ECM programing. The higher horsepower motor has, among other things, an advanced spark curve along with more aggressive fuel mapping. This could lead to pre-ignition with regular fuel, so they call for Premium.

Last edited:
Reactions: SkunkBoat