Needing a little guidance

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Happy 4th all, I need a little guidance and possibly some reassurance. I'm looking to replace my broken transom mount xducer with a thru-hull. I think I've decided on an Airmar B-60 20⁰ based on budget and what appears to be ease of install.
I am very handy and have confidence I can do the project but the thought of drilling a hole below the water line in the bottom of my hull scares the bejesus out of me. So I guess I'm looking for some " it's an easy project, go for it", "put your big boy pants on and grab your drill".
Also I would like advise on sealant. I've read you may not want to use 5200 in the event you ever need to pull it but I know 5200 is rated for below water line use. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.
Again Happy 4th

PS it's a 05 300 Marlin.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Ouch!

I just drilled through my hull and added a 3/4" pickup for a new live well pump and new wash down. I used 5200, I never plan on removing it, but if I had to, I would be comfortable removing the 5200.
In applications where I have used and removed 5200, never been a major hassle like many seem to have, so I continue to use it. Gel coat will be restored around the new addition in the near future.

I wouldn't sweat it at all FTF ;)

20200530_194138.jpg20200531_102940.jpg

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
A little pricey, but look at the Stern Mate website. I used their product that requires no holes, adds much more adjustability which allows you to fine tune the transducer height for optimum return. I have no connection with the company but am extremely pleased with their product. Whether you choose to use their product or not, their webpage provide lots of great advice on placement. I learned a lot and my side scan transducer works great with only one minor post installation adjustment.

joker

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I also would recommend stern saver. I also have a through hull transducer and two water pick ups all with 5200 leg for some reason you need to remove something with 5200 use 40 lbs power pro works like a charm just remember No back and forth one straight continuous motion

Attachments

• BEF0606E-CCDA-4666-AB12-B9CB3E9F4D8A.jpeg
    BEF0606E-CCDA-4666-AB12-B9CB3E9F4D8A.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 8

Denko

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
I used 4200 to seal my thru-hull, but yea drilling a 4" hole in the bottom of your own boat seems counterintuitive. So I guess put your big boy pants on and grab the drill!:cool: These guys put up a great video that helps with the pucker factor.
b175 hole.jpgb175.jpg

Family Tradition Fishing

Reaction score
Model
Marlin
Thanks for the replies all. I like the stern mate for a transom mount/new install but I'm pretty set on a thru-hull for the ability to read bottom at speed. Lee the pickup install looks good, think I'll use 5200. Denco I appreciate the link, I've watched 3 or 4 videos of installs and feel I have a good handle on the process.
I guess the only question I have left is after applying 5200 and placing the ducer in the hull should I tighten the keeper nut jam tight right away or let it setup a little so I don't squeeze all the 5200 out?

Reactions: leeccoll

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Happy 4th all, I need a little guidance and possibly some reassurance. I'm looking to replace my broken transom mount xducer with a thru-hull. I think I've decided on an Airmar B-60 20⁰ based on budget and what appears to be ease of install.
I am very handy and have confidence I can do the project but the thought of drilling a hole below the water line in the bottom of my hull scares the bejesus out of me. So I guess I'm looking for some " it's an easy project, go for it", "put your big boy pants on and grab your drill".
Also I would like advise on sealant. I've read you may not want to use 5200 in the event you ever need to pull it but I know 5200 is rated for below water line use. Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated.
Again Happy 4th

PS it's a 05 300 Marlin.

I was nervous too but I a B175HW in my 330 Express. Had a little trouble finding the correct size hole saw. The one we used was a little slightly smaller than the size needed and we just sanded the hole a little till it fit. Sealed with 4200.

BOE Marine has a good video on how to do it. One tip is to tape over the bottom of transducer and around the hole opening. Makes for cleaner install because that sealant gets everywhere!

Not an expert butnot as hard as it seems. Also if there is any wood in the hull (mine didn’t have any) I would seal with epoxy. Good luck!

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Y'all got more courage than I do. I have an airmar m260 shoot through the hull. Works great.
You would think in this modern era that boat builders would develop a place , predrilled or something with plugs to mount thru hull ducers. Good job on your project.