Neema 2000 connection of Yamahas to Garmin

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Has anyone tried connecting their Yamaha motors to the engine display available on their Garmin Chartpotter. I have twin 2010 300 hp with the standard square digital guages. I find them very difficult to see and would like to have them on the main screen. The garmins have Neema 2000 connection sockets. Thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Your garmins may have J1939 ports. They are there specifically to connect to Yamaha and get all engine data and errors. You would want to use them instead of NMEA2k.
There is a plug & play adapter available

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Your garmins may have J1939 ports. They are there specifically to connect to Yamaha and get all engine data and errors. You would want to use them instead of NMEA2k.
There is a plug & play adapter available
I checked the manual for my 7015 garmins and they have NEMA 2000 and NEMA 0183 connectors. I assume that is different from a J1939 ppport.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
i connected 2009 F350's to garmin 5212's. i used the yamaha gateway. plugs into the yamaha bus and N2K backbone for the MFD. there were other cheaper gateways but the yamaha only allowed one way communication so i thought it best to go that way. good uck, ron

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
I've connected my 5212s, 5208, and 94sv all via NMEA2K. I made up my own cables by splicing NMEA2K plugs to a Yamaha bus system connector. About $20-30 for the connectors. Works fine. It is all CAN bus protocol after 2006, I believe. I have 2006 F250s and a 2011 F150. If you connect to the bus for multiple engines, you won't connect the red power wire since the bus already has power. For a single engine you can connect to the diagnostic port on the engine to make it easy.

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
I've connected my 5212s, 5208, and 94sv all via NMEA2K. I made up my own cables by splicing NMEA2K plugs to a Yamaha bus system connector. About $20-30 for the connectors. Works fine. It is all CAN bus protocol after 2006, I believe. I have 2006 F250s and a 2011 F150. If you connect to the bus for multiple engines, you won't connect the red power wire since the bus already has power. For a single engine you can connect to the diagnostic port on the engine to make it easy.
Thanks. So I should have a Yamaha bus under the dash and that needs a special plug to make the connection to the 7013 chart plotter Nema 200 socket. I will have to find my way to the wiring. Does Yamaha make a cable or is it always diy?

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Yamaha makes a cable as do aftermarket manufacturers. They are just a little more expensive and probably have a diode in them to prevent your MFD’s from providing any data back to the motor. If you are not familiar with the way that a data bus works is probably better to just buy one of their cables.

Reactions: Alweidner

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
Yamaha makes a cable as do aftermarket manufacturers. They are just a little more expensive and probably have a diode in them to prevent your MFD’s from providing any data back to the motor. If you are not familiar with the way that a data bus works is probably better to just buy one of their cables.
Sounds like the right way to do it. So Yamaha makes a cable to go directly from the Yamaha bus directly into the Garmin Nema2000 socket or do you have to go to a nema2000 bus network first?

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The J1939 Yamaha adapter uses the same plug as NMEA2k. The difference between J1939 and N2k is in the communication protocol that the Yamaha/Garmin use.
Newer 7400 & up have J1939 and software specificaly for Yamama.

Without that, you can connect to N2k but get slightly lesser functionality.

you should have a NMEA2k backbone first. Everything out there now uses N2k to share everything. Many devices like gps and sensors and GHC20s are even powered by N2k and will not work without it.

edit: There is a quirk to connecting to engines though. An N2k backbone is connected to +12V that is on with your House power. N2k connected to engines has to isolate the power from the N2k network so that it powers with the engine (key switch on) and does not power on from the House 12V. There is a "NMEA2K Power Isolator" available out there to accomplish this.

The J1939 Yamaha adapter kit shown above is a direct connect to the Garmin j1939 port and so is isolated from the House power and/or N2k power bus. This adapter has a "device" mini-C plug
If you connect a yamaha j1939 adapter to the Garmin N2k port it may function as a stand alone N2k connection to the engine. You will not be able to use N2k for anything else.

Last edited:

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
The J1939 Yamaha adapter uses the same plug as NMEA2k. The difference between J1939 and N2k is in the communication protocol that the Yamaha/Garmin use.
Newer 7400 & up have J1939 and software specificaly for Yamama.

Without that, you can connect to N2k but get slightly lesser functionality.

you should have a NMEA2k backbone first. Everything out there now uses N2k to share everything. Many devices like gps and sensors and GHC20s are even powered by N2k and will not work without it.

edit: There is a quirk to connecting to engines though. An N2k backbone is connected to +12V that is on with your House power. N2k connected to engines has to isolate the power from the N2k network so that it powers with the engine (key switch on) and does not power on from the House 12V. There is a "NMEA2K Power Isolator" available out there to accomplish this.

The J1939 Yamaha adapter kit shown above is a direct connect to the Garmin j1939 port and so is isolated from the House power and/or N2k power bus. This adapter has a "device" mini-C plug
If you connect a yamaha j1939 adapter to the Garmin N2k port it may function as a stand alone N2k connection to the engine. You will not be able to use N2k for anything else.
I have been trying to get all this clear in my head and have started reading alot of forums. On my boat, I have twin 2010 Yamaha 300 hp engines with 3 square command link guages( two tach and one speed/fuel.) I don't think they are Command Link Plus. If there is a bus bar for these guages with an open position, it appears all I have to do is pull the end plug from the bus bar and plug in a connecting cable which has a Yamaha proprietary plug on one end and a Nema 2000 plug on the other which can plug into the back of my Garmin 7012.I don't think it will be necessary to set a up a Nema network since the Yamahas already use that system but use their own style plugs.

I hope I have it straighf now. Please advise if I am confused yet. Thanks

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
I have been trying to get all this clear in my head and have started reading alot of forums. On my boat, I have twin 2010 Yamaha 300 hp engines with 3 square command link guages( two tach and one speed/fuel.) I don't think they are Command Link Plus. If there is a bus bar for these guages with an open position, it appears all I have to do is pull the end plug from the bus bar and plug in a connecting cable which has a Yamaha proprietary plug on one end and a Nema 2000 plug on the other which can plug into the back of my Garmin 7012.I don't think it will be necessary to set a up a Nema network since the Yamahas already use that system but use their own style plugs.

I hope I have it straighf now. Please advise if I am confused yet. Thanks
so long as you don't ever need to connect any other N2K, I am 99% certain you are correct

Hookup1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
On my 2005 Yamaha F150's I had to order a cable for each motor that terminated in a NMEA2000 connector. I connected both motors to my Garmin 4210 via the NMEA2000 bus. Everything works fine. I have all my Yamaha engine gauges/information on my 4210.

J1939 is a newer interface that wasn't available when I did mine. My 4210 does not have a J1939 connector but my new 943xsv does. I appears to be a better way to connect a chartplotter to your engines. It is a separate bus from the NEMA2000 bus. Not sure if bridging the buses preserves all the functionality of J1939.

From Garmin...

Can a J1939 Engine be Connected to the NMEA 2000 Network​

Some marine engine manufacturers utilize the J1939 protocol to communicate via the CAN system. J1939 and NMEA 2000 use the same message formats, but the method of sending that data differs. J1939 manufacturers "hard code" the node address for each product connected on a network, where NMEA 2000 is considered a "plug-and-play" system that assigns node addresses automatically when connected to the NMEA 2000 network. NMEA 2000 is an easier method of installation between various marine devices. J1939 engines are more likely to be found on larger vessels, or commercially used ships, i.e., commercial fishing boats, tugs, ferries, cruise ships where engine data is critical information for the operation of the vessel. J1939 engines often have gateways that allow them to connect to the NMEA 2000 network, but if the engine is a J1939, some proprietary sentences are not read via the NMEA 2000 network.

There are a couple of engine manufacturers found in pleasure crafts that use the J1939 interface, like Yamaha and the Volvo Penta . Garmin makes a line of GPSMAP units with the J1939 port that allows for engine data to be shared with the Garmin Chartplotter.
  • J1939 engines will require a specialized cable from the engine manufacturer.
  • J1939 also requires professional installation by an authorized installer for J1939. It is not installed by the end-user.
  • J1939 engines can connect to the NMEA 2000 network but require a gateway that is sold by the engine manufacturer. Some engine proprietary sentences will not transmit via NMEA 2000.

Last edited:

Old Whitehead

Reaction score
Model
Express 305
so long as you don't ever need to connect any other N2K, I am 99% certain you are correct
The boat is fully equiped with radar, autopilot etc. If needed in the future, I could then add a Nema starter system to add other additional functions. Thank you again for your time and help. Once I get a good look at the yamaha bus, I will be able to start this project and order the connecting cable.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
The boat is fully equiped with radar, autopilot etc. If needed in the future, I could then add a Nema starter system to add other additional functions. Thank you again for your time and help. Once I get a good look at the yamaha bus, I will be able to start this project and order the connecting cable.
Good luck with it.... My 1% worry is that N2k won't understand any of the Yamaha CAN protocol but Wspitler says he has it working on Nk2 using a yamaha cable.

My zukes use N2k so I can't verify yamaha connection

Bg56126

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
This is good stuff. Thanks for all the information here. I’m going to be trying to connect my 2006 Yamaha 250s to new 1243s and my NMEA network if the MFDs ever show up. We’ve been waiting at least two months for them from Garmin.

grady33

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Can 2006 Yamaha F250s connect to Garmin? I have same square gauges and would love to have the data on my 7612xsv.