Negotiating new 2023 Freedom 235-need help

jep1

Reaction score
I'm buying a 2023 GW Freedom 235 from a local GW dealer. He gave me the MSRP sheet on it 2 weeks ago saying they would discount some from there. I went to look at it again with my wife yesterday and she agreed to get it. Now he says this month sales have been really slow and his GM is ready to discount because they "have to make their numbers". Now I really don't know what type of discount to expect or walk away from because it is a GW but a $200,000 MSRP on a 235 without electronics or trailer would need to be heavily discounted for me to get on board. Thanks everyone in advance. I really love GW and made the mistake of not getting GW about 6 months ago and now have a Robalo r207 to sell. Great boat but to small for us and really like the hardtop and quality of Grady better.

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Sent you a PM. Buy once, cry once. Get it over with. Once you get over the initial shock of how much these things are you won't regret it.

jep1

Reaction score
Sent you a PM. Buy once, cry once. Get it over with. Once you get over the initial shock of how much these things are you won't regret it.

Thanks! I'd love to read your PM but I've searched all over this site for a way to view PMs but can't find. Need assistance please...

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Well, relax and wait till you get the final price.
Then you see what discount you will get and make a reasonable counter offer.
If they accept, fine, if not, well then look somewhere else, I don't discuss anymore with dealers what I fork out a substantial but reasonable amount.

In the meantime you may look around for other dealers and/or almost new boat what can be considerable cheaper as the discount you get for a new one.
Having some more options to buy will make your lever longer to open the discount box a bit wider.

Interesting argument "sales where slow" to not give promised discount and probably the reason tat the have slow sales.

Chris

Reactions: jep1

jep1

Reaction score
Well, relax and wait till you get the final price.
Then you see what discount you will get and make a reasonable counter offer.
If they accept, fine, if not, well then look somewhere else, I don't discuss anymore with dealers what I fork out a substantial but reasonable amount.

In the meantime you may look around for other dealers and/or almost new boat what can be considerable cheaper as the discount you get for a new one.
Having some more options to buy will make your lever longer to open the discount box a bit wider.

Interesting argument "sales where slow" to not give promised discount and probably the reason tat the have slow sales.

Chris
Thanks so much!!

seasick

Reaction score
. One thing to remember is that is it Grady White Sales Days ( or something like that and deals can be had although the word 'deals' is a relative term).
More importantly, the 2023 is technically a year old model since the 2024 model is available for sale. There is an incentive to clear out unsold previous model year inventory. The general idemand has slowed down for boats.
Make sure you get quotes on any options you want and then ask for the final price (including everything, taxes prep ,whatever.
Now get quotes form other dealers. I suspect you have a decent amount of negotiating room.
Leave your emotions at home. Do not make a counter offer with a written offer from the dealer. Be prepared to walk out, not in a snit but just to allow you some time to think it over ( and compare).
If the dealer says the deal is only good right then and there, walk out and in a snit:)

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks! I'd love to read your PM but I've searched all over this site for a way to view PMs but can't find. Need assistance please...
Should be a little button at the top right.

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Last edited:

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Also for reference... I'd honestly buy one that's a year or two old and save yourself $40k-$60k, or more. But that's just me...
Thats mee too and why I wrote it.
Honestly I don't mind to buy a few year old pre-owned boat as price drop is so hefty that I could safe a considerable amount of $$$ for.
  • repairs if needed, but unlikely
  • should have been warranty work by GW, it would have be done and will be known
  • add, remove and sell or replace un/wanted items
  • have filthy cushions or bolsters new done or professionally deep cleaned, uncommon too
  • a lot of fuel and marina expenses to have fun with her
I bought a lot of cars, RV trailers or other equipment used, but almost new and never had any issue with them and if I would have they would have been covered by warranty, in case of a boat either hull warranty or engine warranty.

Chris

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thats mee too and why I wrote it.
Honestly I don't mind to buy a few year old pre-owned boat as price drop is so hefty that I could safe a considerable amount of $$$ for.
  • repairs if needed, but unlikely
  • should have been warranty work by GW, it would have be done and will be known
  • add, remove and sell or replace un/wanted items
  • have filthy cushions or bolsters new done or professionally deep cleaned, uncommon too
  • a lot of fuel and marina expenses to have fun with her
I bought a lot of cars, RV trailers or other equipment used, but almost new and never had any issue with them and if I would have they would have been covered by warranty, in case of a boat either hull warranty or engine warranty.

Chris
I bought new back in March because at the time all the late model used 235's were all close enough in price to new that I was comfortable paying a little more and have peace of mind that there are no hidden issues. Prices are coming down a bit, so those two used ones posted earlier look like a real deal.

jep1

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for such great advice! Yes, both of those boats look nice and I was supposed to go see the one in PCB but it was sold before I got there! The one in Pensacola I'm not sure about that decking-sure looks like it will just look dirty all the time. These 235's go really fast and trying to schedule a visit, travel, get a survey then submit an offer takes time. Usually the boat has been sold if it's any good. I'm not electrically or mechanically inclined and will need to have good relations with a GW dealer so that is worth alot to me when I think of giving them my business. But I do expect a fair deal. I got the information I need now from people who actually own GW to know that you can negotiate a GW just like any other boat. Thanks to everyone!

Reactions: FREEDOM!!!

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Thanks to all of you for such great advice! Yes, both of those boats look nice and I was supposed to go see the one in PCB but it was sold before I got there! The one in Pensacola I'm not sure about that decking-sure looks like it will just look dirty all the time. These 235's go really fast and trying to schedule a visit, travel, get a survey then submit an offer takes time. Usually the boat has been sold if it's any good. I'm not electrically or mechanically inclined and will need to have good relations with a GW dealer so that is worth alot to me when I think of giving them my business. But I do expect a fair deal. I got the information I need now from people who actually own GW to know that you can negotiate a GW just like any other boat. Thanks to everyone!
I sent you a PM here and one on The Hull Truth. Did you receive them?

FREEDOM!!!

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 235
Give Dan a call at the Pensacola MarineMax.

Sardinia306Bimini

Reaction score
Model
Bimini
Thanks I tried that and it says "no new conversations". There are 2 old ones that I previously answered but nothing new.
In the same window, below "no new conversations" right side I have
Start a new conversation
Clicking on it will open a big window to write messages

Thats on my MacOs Sonoma MacBook Air using latest Safari.

If you don't have that then try with another browser and/or contact the admin/s here.

Chris

mr_mbuna

Reaction score
The Freedom 275 was available at the Annapolis Boat Show recently for $230K, the 307 for $360K, and the 375 for $999K ( o_O ). These prices were all about 15% off MSRP. Boat show prices have some factory subsidy but I think you can reasonably aim for 10% off and refuse to pay any more than 5% off.