Negotiating Prices with marina

Jargon

Reaction score
Hi Guys and Gals,

I’m still deciding where I’ll be buying my new to me boat. Been scouring the Internet all winter and went to the local, largish, boat show as well.

I’m wondering what the purchase price vs. asking price is when buying from marinas or dealers. I’m considering everything from leftovers in February, to ‘certified Pre-owned’ low useage, late year model Grady’s.

Generally speaking, how do marinas, or dealers, price these boats? I passed on a ‘great show deal’ earlier this year, and I’ve seen many examples of trade ins with hardly any hours on them.

When I finally decide to go buy, how much room is in these ‘advertised’ prices with dealers, or marina’s? I’m guessing at least 10%.

Thanks in advance.

Fishtales

Reaction score
30+ a great deal
20+ a good deal
10+ eh
<10. walk

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
30+ a great deal
20+ a good deal
10+ eh
<10. walk
But... it will also depend on what price the dealer is showing... Grady "list" pricing or are they already showing a discounted price. But, inline with what Fishtales said, I'd say if you can get 20% off of Grady list pricing, you're doing good.

Fishtales

Reaction score
yea, I was thinking list plus a reasonable amount for dealer prep. you gotta work em off the things that really don't cost them much but save you after you arrive at the number:
- install electronics for fixed price.
- throw in coast guard kit (fenders, first aid, flares, pfds etc).
- anchor. rode comes with boat.
- full tank of fuel
- at the end, prop wrench

seasick

Reaction score
Although those estimates are reasonable for new boats, they may not apply to previously owned ones or previous year leftovers. To an extent the model is a factor also. Some models are in higher demand and command higher prices. During the last phase of really high gas prices, small hulls (easy on gas) were fetching top dollar and selling quickly while the large boats stayed on the market for a long time. These days, the dual console models are very popular and great deals are harder to find. The time of year is a factor. Right now is not exactly the best time to buy especially if you are in an area that has an off season (like winter!)
New 'leftovers' decrease in value a bit as new model years are introduced.Those can be good opportunities to negotiate.
So you have to do your homework and you have to compare apples to apples as it applies to extras, options, services offered etc.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Like buying a car... mostly impossible to "apples to apples" because they throw in curve balls...
If you are buying cash...Figure out what you can spend. buy the thing you like best that they'll accept that amount for.

If you are going to finance through them...shoot yourself in the head now and get it over with.

seasick

Reaction score
Like buying a car... mostly impossible to "apples to apples" because they throw in curve balls...
If you are buying cash...Figure out what you can spend. buy the thing you like best that they'll accept that amount for.

If you are going to finance through them...shoot yourself in the head now and get it over with.

Words of wisdom.....

Fishtales

Reaction score
Although those estimates are reasonable for new boats, they may not apply to previously owned ones or previous year leftovers. To an extent the model is a factor also. Some models are in higher demand and command higher prices. During the last phase of really high gas prices, small hulls (easy on gas) were fetching top dollar and selling quickly while the large boats stayed on the market for a long time. These days, the dual console models are very popular and great deals are harder to find. The time of year is a factor. Right now is not exactly the best time to buy especially if you are in an area that has an off season (like winter!)
New 'leftovers' decrease in value a bit as new model years are introduced.Those can be good opportunities to negotiate.
So you have to do your homework and you have to compare apples to apples as it applies to extras, options, services offered etc.

I agree. Used boats are a different ball game. Left overs are in the top tier. A dealer should want to move a non-current boat quickly. Agree on the hot models as well you are not going to get a deal on these as the dealer knows there are folks coming in behind you. Timing is a big factor. If you come in late in the year (just before winter layup) with cash and ready to deal, you should be able to get a great deal. The dealer is either out money or financing over the winter and will still have a non-current boat in the spring. The new models hit in July and then the dealer is really in a discount position.

The best deals are to be had if you know the dealer wants to move it and you are willing to walk away.

RussGW270

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander

Now now.... not everyone can drop a load of cash on the table.....financing is there for a reason AND, sometimes helps a person get a better price, by financing then paying it off early.

R