NEMA Data Logging

capeman

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 335
Hi All - Only February and already getting excited about the upcoming fishing season on Cape Cod. That said, I want to start logging engine/fuel/speed/temp data from the Yamaha/Garmin sensors while running and was wondering if anyone has experience w/ doing this. I have a GW335 w/ twin 425s and the CL7 console. I am wondering if I can purchase a NEMA 2000 data wifi gateway and use it to stream running data to a laptop. Do I need the Yamaha command link gateway to bridge to NEMA? Not sure if there are other loggers that might have onboard SD storage. If so, that solution would be preferred as having a laptop up and running could be a hassle. Any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

Bayhouse

Reaction score
Following - great question i've been pondering.

SkunkBoat

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Model
Express 265
Interesting....
This is what I "think" I know...but I wouldn't bet my life on it...

I think the CL7 is getting direct J1939 engine data. This data is sent in a different form than NMEA2k and it includes a few things and it maybe? lets you reset things(2 way).
It is probably sharing that over the Garmin Marine Network (ethernet) to any connected MFD.

Since you have a CL7, you don't use a NMEA2K gateway to the Yamahas. In fact, I don't think you can because you can't have 2 connections to the motor data...I think...
The new Garmin MFDs have a J1939 port that looks just like a NMEA2k port(same connector) but the J1939 port is only for connection to a motor using the J1939 protocol.
If you use this port the Garmin device will emulate a Yamaha (CL7) gauge display.
But.. If you have a CL7 then you would not use(can't) the J1939 port on another MFD.

So question is... does the CL7 put the engine data out on the NMEA2k network(I don't think so) or Garmin Network(I think so) or both?
and can you use the MFD to store that realtime engine data to an SD card or laptop?(I don't think so).

If you have a device that records NMEA2k data, you could use a Yamaha to 2k gateway and not connect the CL7

If you have a device that records J1939 Yamaha data then you need a connector to the Yamaha Engine bus.