Net Flix Series Outerbanks

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Tuned into a Netflix series called Outerbanks . It's about some cool island teens in a mythical OBX island town. It's ok. However, they reference Grady White a number of times. Once is a big walk-around that sunk in the ICW after a hurricane. The kids stumbled upon it . They sunk a walk around but it was not a Grady. They dive the wreck and find a hotel key. They go to the hotel and it's a dump. One kid says this isn't a place where a guy owns a Grady White would stay and then his buddy says it looks like a place where a guy with a Grady White would go to get killed.

andyb

Reaction score
Watched the first episode last night. Pretty dang dumb so far. But good scenery. It was mostly filmed here around Charleston, SC. There was a local paper article about it here and how they moved the filming here after NC's bathroom law ordeal, so they abandoned filming in the Outer Banks. Their house is on the Folly River. Those shrimp docks are all Shem Creek in Mount Pleasant. The Wreck is some great fried seafood on Shem Creek. The "boneyard" beach I'm thinking was likely the Driftwood Beach at Botany Bay. We'll likely keep watching just for the local scenes.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Redfield lighthouse is Hunting Island lighthouse down in Beaufort. Saw the Morris Island lighthouse in the last episode I watched.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
The beach scene was Hunting Island. The writing is so so. When they were diving on the non Grady White in the marsh I just had a hard time getting past the depth of the boat being 30 plus feet down and what little I know about diving, biology and physics, they dove down to 30 feet and made a big deal out of getting the bends. 1 atmosphere of pressure is equal to about 33 feet of depth you go down. You won't get the bends for diving 30 feet for 10 minutes.

Then I thought this. Grady says all their boats above 19 feet have basic flotation. Not saying the boat wouldn't sink in a storm especially if you get a giant hole in the hull, but assuming it was just swamped and it was a newer Grady , she would be bobbing a little and not on the bottom. Now if it was say a Contender with no flotation, then she would be at the bottom.

I may watch another episode mainly because I like boats,the coast of Carolina and checking out places I have been . Too bad they did not film it in North Carolina. The water gets pretty nice especially when you get to the Emerald Isle area . Even Wilmington has a little bit cleaner water north of the river. It's still pretty though.

Ky Grady

GreatGrady Captain
Staff member
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Another thing when they first found the Grady sunk. If it was 30' deep, how did they hit it with the skiff they were in?

Reactions: igblack87

Fishtales

Reaction score
any show with a GW can't be all that bad...

Grady_Crazy

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I tried to watch also, it was too unbelievable, I passed also. Just 4 wanna-be thugs.