New 225 WOW

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
We picked up our new 225 Tournament from Catalano on Saturday and drove it home to Norwalk. IT WAS BLOWIN' STINK. I probably should've postponed, but the dealer was booked next weekend and I just couldn't stand to wait.

The ride home was right into the wind (better than on the beam) and typical waves were 4 and 5 feet. There were a few that were a good bit bigger than that and I was amazed to feel so secure in those conditions. This boat is a hoss. I have to say, I couldn't have made the first turn out of the harbor with our old 18 foot boat. The all around canvas was a life saver too, and I never thought I would have much use for that. It was an hour and 20 minutes home, and it was ROWDY. (keep in mind, I am used to an open 18 footer, and 3 foot waves are enough to keep us home...) I am delighted to report that the boat was rock solid, and I heard not a rattle anywhere...and boy that Yamaha 250 is strong.

We have had the boat now for three days and i still haven't gotten to take her out in decent conditions! Its still pouring rain. I'll send some pictures when it is safe to take a camera out there...

Last thing - gotta plug the dealers here. Catalano was a real pleasure. They went over everything and really took the time to be clear and make sure I got it....

Capt Chris - did you get yours yet? You're gonna love it...

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Mike,
I have not picked mine up yet but am scheduled to go up to Beaver Park May 22nd after work and hopefully start back to Cumberland on Friday May 23rd. It's about a five hour drive up to Lorain, OH from Louisville and about a seven hour trip back to Cumberland. I guess I'll find out how well it trailers and if the electric over hydraulic brakes are all they're cracked up to be. I was down in Casey Key, FL a couple of weeks ago and went to the Sun Coast show. Cannons Marina had a 225 just like ours there and I was all over it. I explained my situation to them and they couldn't have been nicer. I think this is the longest winter I've ever spent waiting for the weather and my schedule to break so I can go up and pick up the boat. If we had the kind of water you just went through @ Cumberland it would only be because of a tornado. Glad to hear the 225 handled it so well. I'll try to post some pictures next month after I pick it up. Best of luck with your new "baby"!

leek

Reaction score
Similar Experience

I sea trialed mine in Puget Sound on Thursday afternoon. 25 knots and a fair amount of carry resulted in 3-4' breaking waves. The 225 bounced around but never slammed down and took more than we could in those conditions. The 250 Yami was solid (i couldn't hear it running when I came up to the boat) and performed well.
So they are rigging it out now and it should be ready by the week of the 12th.
They are adding a 9.9 electric trim and start kicker, full width swim step, Vista canvas, Furuno Nav Net 2 gps/sounder, Icom VHF, bolsters, sun platform, 5500 # Shorlander, Tow Bar and tonneau cover.
Very happy with Jacobsen's not the cheapest but very good people and good service.
Thank you for your help in buying this boat. I am looking forward to summer :)

viperdrum

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
got my new 225 about 6 weeks ago. Coming out of a 209 I could tell a big difference quickly in rough water. Let my brother drive it last Saturday. He has had many boats--he was amazed. Have fun

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I can't wait to spend some time feeling it out, docking, etc... I sure am delighted so far... Glad you folks are happy too... I have registered a few minor observations but nothing too troubling so far. I'll make a list of pros and the few cons I can find and do a post...

Crystal Beach Bum

Reaction score
Congratulations and best wishes to all you guys on your new 225's!
Took delivery of mine about four weeks ago. First two trips out in 25 mph winds and choppy waters, but she handled like a dream. Quite a step up from my ol' Wellcraft. Let my wife navigate the 20 mile roundtrip to Galveston and back in heavy chop and I think she finally understands why I longed for this boat. Hoping for warm weather and smooth seas for you guys up the coast!

mronzo

Reaction score
Good luck guys with those 225s! The Grady White DCs aren't as fast as
other DCs in their size ranges with same HP, but the GWs are so much beefier! Check out the dry weights of GW DCs vs other brand DCs!
The layout kicks a** vs other brand DCs as well -but you know that!

I have a 2000 265 but I can't really water ski/ boogie board off it!
I'd like one of those 225 for bay fishing and water sports!

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Touche' Capt. Chris... You definitely have a point there!

I have to admit that I actually took the side curtains and windshield canvas off already, rinsed it really well and hung it in the garage...

You know, I didn't realize how nice it would be to have the windshield. It makes a huge difference when it is cold & windy. I originally wanted a center console, but now I see a huge advantage to getting behind the windshield and not freezing to death early in the season or late in the year...

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I've been following the "deck hatch caulk" threads too - dealers sealed this one after installing the through-hull transducer.... THanks though. I really appreciate that kind of intimate knowledge that this site provides.

Bay Drifter

Reaction score
wow

WH Mike, what is the deal with the "deck hatch caulk"? I know what you mean about the weather. I have 26 hours on mine and do not want to go any further until I get the 10/20 hour service done on the 250. I have about a an hour ride down the Chesapeake Bay to the dealer and it small craft advisory through the weekend. Interested in the caulk issue, will hopefully get to the dealer this week.

fishie1

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Mike- Best of luck with the 225- heckuva boat. Now go get her bloody.

BTW- if you ever head way to the west give us a shout on 68, MISDee. We love to meet other Grady owners on the water.

Ken

White Horses (Mike)

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Bay Drifter - Its STILL blowin' stink. Unbelievable. Anyway - there is a panel in the rear area of the deck which can be removed to allow good work access to the bilge - to mount through hulls, or bilge pumps, etc. This panel should be caulked in place prior to delivery so that water from the deck drains overboard through the scuppers, instead of leaking into the bilge. From what I gather this is normally the case, but every so often, somebody ends up with a boat with a panel that a dealer forgot to seal. Ours was caulked by the dealer before we took posession, but I know they had it open the week before because they showed me what a neat job they did down there...

Fishie1 - I'll give you a hail on 68! We do occasionaly get over to the LI side... especially around buoy 11b.

My 6 year old is gunning for a monster striper this year! :D

leek

Reaction score
Taking delivery tomorrow

Boat is ready as promised and I am picking up from Jacobsen's tomorrow. They have been great to work with, very customer oriented and informed.
It is going to be stored in a rack just inside of the locks on the Lake Washington ship canal so I will be able to go east to Lake Union and Lake Washington and west to the sound.
The other bonus is that it is supposed to be over 80 tomorrow for the first time this year, hooray :)
I will post pics as soon as I get a chance.

capt chris

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Ohio River Louisville, Ky./Lake Cumberland, Ky
Leek,
Congratulations on your upcoming "delivery"! I'm scheduled to pick mine up from Beaver Park next Friday and our weather is supposed to break for Memorial Day weekend. I can't wait. It's been 4 months since I inked the deal and it seems like forever. It's a long tow (7 hrs) from Lorain, OH back to Cumberland but at least I'll get to see if I spec'd the trailer right. I look forward to seeing pictures and will do the same after Memorial Day.