New 225

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I just bought a new 2011 Freedom 225. I'm going to use it for bays and light offshore/nearshore fishing/family activities here in Texas. Very excited, it's our first boat and it was a long decision process. I looked at a lot of boats over the last couple of years, ultimately, the quality of the Grady tipped the scales. We take delivery on Saturday, the boys are away at summer camp and they don't have a clue what's going on, should be a great surprise!
Any thoughts or advice? Thanks

CWOT

Reaction score
good luck, should be a great boat for your family

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Congratulations on your new boat. Good luck and post some pictures when you get her. That is a great surprise for the boys, make sure you capture that moment too.

JiminGA

Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!!!!

You made a GREAT purchase decision! Please feel free to ask lots of questions as you get to learn your new Grady.

I'm going to offer some unsolicited advice on handling around docks, trailering, boat ramps, etc. The engine on your 225 is bracket mounted just like our 228. I got very frustrated at first trying to manuever off/on the trailer and docking - it was NOT very responsive!

The trick I learned from a fellow Grady owner and member of this forum (Parthery) was to trim the motor up/out to the top of the trim cylinder range when approaching leaving docks, trailer, etc. The directs the prop thrust UNDER the transom instead of AGAINST it and makes a world of difference in how she handles!

Basically whenever I slow down at the no-wake zone upon entering a marina or boat ramp area the very first thing I do is trim 'er up. Conversely, be sure you trim it back down/in before you want to get up on plane or you'll stick the bow in the air and take "forever" getting up on plane.

You mentioned that this is your first boat so I'd like to offer this additional advice: if you have not yet taken a Power Squadron or Coast Guard Auxillary boating course, please do so. You'll learn a lot and be much more comfortable, especially in the saltwater environment. If you don't know rules of the road, the ICW buoy system, just to name a few things that you MUST know, you owe it to yourself and your fellow boaters. I hope I don't come off as "preaching" here; it's just that I've benefitted greatly from these courses and enjoyed them as well. When you get out on the water you'll unfortunatley see a number of uneducated boaters out there, so be vigilant. Get yourself a copy of Chapman's Seamanship and Boat Handling at West Marine or through Amazon. It makes a great reference on many subjects.

All that being said, enjoy your new ride and POST PICS!!!!!

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I will take any advice offered at this point. I have already taken the Texas Boating Course, even though it's not required, which I find unbelievable. if you're born before 1993 you don't need it in Texas, I guess they think your drivers license is good enough. I couldn't disagree more, I learned a lot in my course. I'm gonna order those books now. Thanks

SwampGrizz

Reaction score
This is an excellent example of why this is such a great board. The tip from JiminGA (and Parthery) is spot on. I learn something every time I log in. Congrats on the new boat.

One other thing. The support folks at Grady White are first class. I have emailed them questions, and even though I bought a used Grady, they were just as helpful as if I had bought a new one.

SwampGrizz

DaleH

Reaction score
JiminGA said:
Basically whenever I slow down at the no-wake zone upon entering a marina or boat ramp area the very first thing I do is trim 'er up.
FWIW I ran a fuel computer on my big Parker, with OB on a full transom bracket, and now have a fuel computer on my new-to-me GW Tournament (now the 'Freedom' model) 225G. Trimming UP the OB at headway speeds also increases miles-per-gallon fuel efficiency by a good 20-30%! I'll take that any day of the week :) .

Other tips using trim tabs. I've found most hulls like a little down trim and have been able to dial in 10-20% more fuel economy by adding a little tab. This is tough to do, of course, without a fuel computer, but here's how I do it if you have one. Once at cruise, trim the OB out until you hear the prop 'vent' and/or the RPMs climb without an increase in speed. Drop the motor in a tad to elimiate the venting. Make note of OB trim setting. Then, if equipped with trim tabs, watch you MPG or fuel GPH burn readout and apply trim tabs. Most likely you will see an increase with tabs deployed for around a 2-4-second DOWN burst.

Another way to save fuel is when using tabs to make the ride more comfortable in a quartering sea. Normally once would drop the nose. Again using the fuel computer, I found dropping the nose to give a good ride can cut MPG a good 10 to 30% from typical, or more!, in a heavy chop or sea. So what I learned to do was to lower the side AWAY from the quartering sea, which raises the side of the hull into the waves out of some of the slop. Doing so, I have actually not only got back to my typical MPG performance, meaning 10-30% increase over where I would have been running if I had not been using a fuel computer, but sometimes can dial-in an extra 10% boost in fuel efficiency, while maintaining an equally pleasant ride!

But a safety note here, you will be running with a heel to the boat, so make dayum sure it's safe for your crew and you and also make sure to level the boat before taking any drastic turns.

I gotta say ... I won't ever run a boat again without trim tabs and a fuel computer, as the combination is really quite unbeatable!

Caribbean 40

Reaction score
Congratulation to you ,You just made an excellent choice. I recently bought a used grady, an Explorer 24 (Like new) ,Im like a baby with a new toy, and it is like dream come thru.I urge u to keep in this forums , I had learned a lot myself ,just for visinting here and reading from others.I been using my explorer just during this summer and i want more time,lol :welcome

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Congrats on the new boat. I would like to add a few trailering tips. You must keep the tires inflated to their rated psi. Low tire pressure causes excess heat to the tire causing premature wear of the tread, hotter hubs thus hotter bearings and so forth. Every year break the trailer hubs down, inspect the seals and replace and repack them as needed. I trailer nearly 3,000 miles a year as I live inland and typically go to SC or Fla to fish, vacations, visit family etc and we trailer to the regions lakes here in SC, NC, GA and TN.

As far as boating goes, learn to read the weather when you are out if you already do not do so. Be patient at boat ramps, be polite even when others are A-holes. Be respectful of smaller vessels, especially kayakers as the 225 can create a wake that will swamp a canoe or kayak with ease. If you have not bought a gps/chartplotter/sounder i really like my Garmin 4208 with GSD 22 sounder and AirMar 1Kw through hull transducer....welcome to the family. We spend alot of time on the water and it will be perhaps the best time your family will have. Oh ya, one last thing, my wife (The Admiral) Tonya can back the trailer down ANY ramp ANY where. We are a great team at the boat ramp. If your wife is willing to learn teach her, use a parking lot at the mall on Sunday night or what have you to practice backing the boat. The boat ramp can test your relationship really good ( or really bad) otherwise and the idea of a fun day is tarnished by an argument at the ramp either coming or going.

Tashmoo

Reaction score
Congratulations on the new boat your family will love the versatility.

We have had DC boats for 17 straight seasons now and will tell you all of our boating friends always come around to the conclusion that the DC concept is the best one going for all around fishing/family/day use. If you just fish a CC is probably better but if the wife and kids want into the act you hit a home run with your selection.

If I may pick up on a comment in the last post, if you have not bought your electronics take a good hard look at satellite weather. I have it and it rivals GPS for essential technology. Hands down for me it is a no brainer.

Good luck with the new boat and have fun fitting her out.

PS, I was a Pursuit owner for years and was not a Grady fan until I bought one. Great people and a great company.

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Took official delivery of the boat yesterday with a short shake down cruise around the bay. I am very impressed with the boat and the guys at Marinemax, they spent a couple of hours with us going over all the features of the boat. In addition they taught me how to dock the boat- a skill that is going to take lots of practice!! I can't wait to get out there next weekend, hopefully when it's not 107 degrees.
The boat is equipped with a Lowrance HDS 10 depth/GPS, not sure if it has satellite capabilities. I wonder if that couldn't be retrofitted, it would be nice to see the weather so to speak. And I think the DC design is even better for fishing as we can all be casting/fighting fish without worry of hitting the center console. It should also be better platform for fly casting.
As to trailering, not an issue at this time as I'm keeping the boat in dry dock which makes things very easy. It's literally a phone call and the boat is in the water, fueled , iced up and ready to go. Not really worried about trailering as I have lots of experience with car trailers, but I am sure the boat ramp will take some practice.
Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming!
Pics to come...

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
One should count themselves lucky to live so close to the water like that :)

GulfSea

Reaction score
RUFcaptain said:
Took official delivery of the boat yesterday with a short shake down cruise around the bay. I am very impressed with the boat and the guys at Marinemax, they spent a couple of hours with us going over all the features of the boat. In addition they taught me how to dock the boat- a skill that is going to take lots of practice!! I can't wait to get out there next weekend, hopefully when it's not 107 degrees.
The boat is equipped with a Lowrance HDS 10 depth/GPS, not sure if it has satellite capabilities. I wonder if that couldn't be retrofitted, it would be nice to see the weather so to speak. And I think the DC design is even better for fishing as we can all be casting/fighting fish without worry of hitting the center console. It should also be better platform for fly casting.
As to trailering, not an issue at this time as I'm keeping the boat in dry dock which makes things very easy. It's literally a phone call and the boat is in the water, fueled , iced up and ready to go. Not really worried about trailering as I have lots of experience with car trailers, but I am sure the boat ramp will take some practice.
Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming!
Pics to come...

Congrats on the new ride, now pics are due! I got my 228 last November and have had her out probably 40 times since then. And the urge to go again just gets stronger; they're great boats for sure. We were out in 3-4's with an occasional 5' yesterday and not a problem trolling for kings. JiminGA is spot on with the docking. Do yourself a favor while you're learning and get a good, solid boat hook to help with docking until you get a good feel for handling of the rig.

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
pics from last weekend...

Attachments

• boat1a.jpg
    boat1a.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 3,225
  • boat2a.jpg
    boat2a.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 3,225

JiminGA

Reaction score
She sure looks purdy Doug!

Suggest you read through the manuals for the boat and all installed accessories. The Lowrance manual should indicate what Sat WX capability it has. I'm betting you could add XM weather. MarineMax can adivise you also.

Oh - 1 more thing - go to the Grady website and make note of their phone number and then store it in your cell phone. If you ever need a question answered, the folks in customer service at Grady are always very happy to answer ANY questions you have. If they don't know the answer right away when you call (they usually do), they WILL research it and call you back. We had an issue with our livewell once while running on the ICW, in cellphone range. I called them and they helped my get it taken care of in "real time" and we continued with our fishing trip. Now THAT"S the kind of service Grady gives!!

Reaction score
I just bought a GW225 as well.....in Singapore. Absolutely a great boat. The boat is now on the hardstand at Rebak Marina in Langkawi Malaysia. 125NM more to run for it's new home port in Phuket Thailand, N08 E98. Ten years ago I owned a "Passport 40" (sailboat) here in S.E. Asia. That too was a great boat, but I have found that downsizing from a 40 footer to a 22 footer, I've almost tripled my usable cockpit space. All yachties in the tropics live in the cockpit. It's too hot down below. On arrival in Phuket I plan to fit the boat with a 3/4 length fixed Bimini/Hard Top for the sun/rain protection here in the tropics.

Attachments

• sg_boats_469_2.jpg
    sg_boats_469_2.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 564
  • sg_boats_469_3.jpg
    sg_boats_469_3.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 564

Bob's Cay

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
So how did the boys take it or do we even have to ask?

My Dad surprised my brother and I with "our" first boat when I was 16. We had family boats and had a houseboat at the time. But this boat was the "kids". I still remember the surprise to this day.

RUFcaptain

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The boys were thrilled! we have wanted a boat for a very long time, I looked at a lot of boats over the last few years, but I kept coming back to the GW. It's going to be a great multi use family/fishing machine. How far do you all go offshore with a single engine (Y300)? Not planning to go anytime soon as I want all my bases covered with the proper safety equipment. I'm already in the process of putting together an emergency bag. I have an EPIRB, HH vhf, HH GPS in addition to the basic requirements.. I am going to upgrade the existing Sirius radio with the constant marine weather streaming feature. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Walkers Edge

Reaction score
To answer your question about how far off, I fished 80 miles out of Jacksonville, FL in a 21 Contender for a number of years. Extremely efficient and luckily never had a major issue. If I got back into that type of activity I would have a satellite phone onboard. Odds are any issue you have will require a tow, not the coast guard and you will need a way to confirm they have your position and are on the way. Of course in an emergency always activate epirb.

Without a satellite phone I am clear from here in Palm Beach to the bahamas (~60 miles each way). Never further than 30 from shore and usually with another boat or 5.