new 4 strk 200HP on '87 23' seafarer, keeping in wet slip??

Watch Out

Reaction score
I am planning on buying an '87 23' Seafarer and mounting a 2005 4stroke 200 HP on the back on a factory mounted bracket. Are there any issues I should be aware of regarding this make and year hull? What about keeping it in the water for 5-6 months. Are there scupper issues I have to worry about? Will this transom last or do they go bad after 20+ years? Any feedback is appreciated.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I had an 85 Seafarer with an HPDI on it and it ran fine - the issue you may have with the 4 stroke is too much weght - I would talk to a GW dealer before proceeding. The 200 HPDI is a remarkable engine and I know you would be happy with the perfromance , reilability and gas economy.

Good Luck

richie rich

Reaction score
I think a 4S would be too much weight for that boat unless you can get your hands on the new lightweight version Yamaha which is similar in weight to a 2S...the standard 4S will add a significant amount of weight for that year boat, especially if it's bracketed. The HPDI may be a better choice if the lightweight 4S version is not available.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
richie rich said:
I think a 4S would be too much weight for that boat unless you can get your hands on the new lightweight version Yamaha which is similar in weight to a 2S...the standard 4S will add a significant amount of weight for that year boat, especially if it's bracketed. The HPDI may be a better choice if the lightweight 4S version is not available.

Ditto

no problem

Reaction score
My boat is a 92 and it's a labor of love. Make sure you love labor or have a fat wallet. It takes effort to keep a boat of this vintage ship shape. Don't forget thru hulls, gas tanks, fuel hoses, soft deck panels, and rotten bulkheads. Thru hulls, scuppers, hoses and double clamps are a must before leaving it in a slip. Do these things right and they should outlast the boat.

isurus22

Reaction score
i have a 1988 seafarer with a bracket. This boat was designed to have up to twin 140s on the back (which is heavier than a 4s 200 hp). I put a 225 honda 4 stroke on in 2003 and love it. It is about 100lbs heavier, but I removed the oil tank and 9.9hp kicker outboard i had on the back. So in the end the old engine + kicker + oil tank was the same weight. Still i tend to keep more heavy things up front to be safe. Dont forget to adjust your trailer for the new tongue weight.

Watch Out

Reaction score
Great feedback. I learned the hard way with my last boat, having too much weight on the back, not only did it wear down the transom, but it never drained the water properly..... What a mess.

gradyreelez

Reaction score
A word of caution!! I have a '87 Trophy Pro that I put a pair of Suzuki 200hp on a bracket and I wish I had not done this. The weight of the motors drops the stern enough so thst the scuppers ar right at the water level and, more importantly, the trim rods on bot engines ar constantly in the water. This give me headaches each year because the trim rods pit and have to be replaced. Now, I keep the boat on a rack to reduce the pitting problem.