new 4 stroke weights

freddy063

Reaction score
I just picked up a set of new f200 4 stroke motors, got the 4 in lines , weight is around 490, the old 2 strokes were 390. Anyone else install the 4 inline motors on a older sailfish? will the extra 200 lbs make any different on the aft sitting to low when on the mooring ?

After thinking it over, yes I weight over 200 and I load 100's of pounds of ice, drinks and food when we go fishing, I'm thinking it would be as bad a I feared, thanks for all your inputs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocdansar

Joe Hurley

Reaction score
Model
Tigercat
I just picked up a set of new f200 4 stroke motors, got the 4 in lines , weight is around 490, the old 2 strokes were 390. Anyone else install the 4 inline motors on a older sailfish? will the extra 200 lbs make any different on the aft sitting to low when on the mooring ?
Maybe you should put a couple hundred pounds of lead shot in the transom to see if the scuppers are still above the water line before you install the new motors.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
Maybe you should put a couple hundred pounds of lead shot in the transom to see if the scuppers are still above the water line before you install the new motors.
Or, just get a 200 pound buddy to stand back there , at rest of course, to see the difference.

seasick

Reaction score
Or just stand back there yourself, and look over the transom. Don't forget to subtract the weight of your oil tanks from the 200 pounds.
The oil in two tanks isn't going to weigh more than 45 pounds or so. It doesn't make a lot of difference. In reality, removing the tanks may cause the hull to list a bit to the opposite side.

Boosted1

Reaction score
What motors do you have on the boat now? If it’s a 200hp+ Yamaha 2 stroke, they are closer to 500lbs each.

Reactions: tilewave

Mustang65fbk

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
It sounds like the ship has already sailed but what about a single 350? That would save several hundred pounds in weight with the Yamaha 350 weighing in at 763-780lbs or the Suzuki at 727-747lbs.

seasick

Reaction score

After thinking it over, yes I weight over 200 and I load 100's of pounds of ice, drinks and food when we go fishing, I'm thinking it would be as bad a I feared, thanks for all your inputs.

you mentioned "when WE go fishing" The WEs add up in weight for adults, your ice will melt:)

Here is a non exact but somewhat scientific method to judge the effect of added weight.
With the boat at the dock, measure/estimate the distance from the water to the lowest scuppers.
Let's say that is 2 inches.
Now climb into the boat and stand aft. Now measure the distance from the scupper to the water again. Let's say it dropped to 1 1/2 inches.
Since you added 200 pounds of body weight and lost 1/2 inch of clearance, it is simple math to see that each extra 100 pounds sinks the hull 1/4 inch.
So since the original distance was 2 inches or 8 quarters of an inch, adding 800 pounds will bring the water line up to the scuppers.

OK, I know that the marine engineering purists will point out many problems with the accuracy of this method, and there are a lot, it still will give a ballpark estimate.
The biggest fault with this method is that it works for a flat bottomed rectangular box very well. Your hull is not even close to that shape.
Also the theory assumes that the added weight is close to centered to the center of floatation. Of course your engines aren't and your aft end fisherman aren't either. That will exaggerate the aft hull displacement

Don't forget also, the weight of fluids, like gas and fresh water. Knowing the measurement to the water before and after gassing up can also be helpful. Each gallon of gas ads 6 pounds of weight

tilewave

Reaction score
390lbs sounds light , which motors did you take off ? the 200 hpdi's weight 487 lbs

efx

Reaction score
Model
Islander
I’ve been through this before, twice. Add weight as far aft on the swim platform with water filled 5 gallon buckets. See how much weight it takes to push the drain holes or scuppers down. The biggest factor for seeing how the hull will accommodate the weight, from my experience, is the beam of the hull. Islanders are sensitive at 8’-6”, my Marlin didn’t even notice the additional 200lbs with a beam at 10 6. Learn the limits of the hull.

Reactions: glacierbaze