New and Need LOTS OF HELP {PLESASE}

steveditt

Reaction score
New to the site and my first Grady for the last 12 years I’ve owned a 21 W/A Proline. I purchased privately a 1998 208 Adventure with a 175 HP saltwater series Yamaha. The boat needs lots of small details fixed and the engine also needs some help. Do you guys recommend replacing with original Grady Equipment or what source for both boat and engine parts? These are some of the issues. I’ll start in the front.
1 Anchor storage lid latch that snaps into the female part on the boat missing
2. Cutty excess to the anchor compartment falls open nothing to hold it closed
3 . I assume you should be able to lock the cutty with the latches on the black glass [even the latches are broken ] and no locks visible
4. No keys for any locks [only two latches with locks even work] can you get keys and latches.
5. How do you remove the latch on the door below the seats?
6. Anything to soften the material used in the seats --some will be replacement.

Sea trail was also not good as the engine would surge and drop RPM and the surge .The owner said this would happen only at full throttle but is happening whenever you’re attempting to give it gas. I was using a portable gas supply and had drained the carbs before testing. Very disappointing to see how this boat was neglected and has been sitting in someone’s back yard what a waste. I’m retired and have the time to bring her back to the way a Grady should look and run. Any suggestion and how and where would be appreciated. Thanks Steve

Strikezone

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
The latches should be a third party item that you could get from many sources. I usually get mine through my local Grady dealer. The prices may be a little higher but I don't have to pay shipping. I also know that it's a direct replacement and will fit.

That being said, I sometimes buy from other sources.

Sounds like the foam might need replacing in the cushions. I have a 2000 228 and have taken care of the cushions and my foam is still in good shape. A couple of the fishbox cushion foam has been replaced. It's a simple replacement on those.

Enough Already

Reaction score
Not sure where you are located but BOW (Boat Owner's Warehouse) will have many of the latches and other misc repair parts you need. I spend a ton of money on boats.net for my OEM motor parts. Great diagrams and model-year specific info on their website. Lots of posts here and on The Hull Truth re: repair and preventative maintenance parts you might want to replace to solve many of the common issues the older motors have. BTW - most keys are all the same on the basic latches. GW has a habit of throwing some extras in the Plano tackle trays if you have them. Once the seat vinyl starts to harden and crack, there is really no way to soften them up.

gw204

Reaction score
Sounds like the fuel pumps in your engine might be going bad. There's two of them, about $35 a piece. Replace both. Should take about 30 minutes.

Since you said the boat was neglected, I would also clean the carbs, replace all the filters, empty and clean the oil tanks and change the filter under the main tank.

88LIovernighter

Reaction score
i would have said bad fuel since you said the boat was neglected and sat awhile, but you ran it off a separate tank..i'd say change the fuel filters on the motor and the one between the tank and motor if it's there..if the problems still there i'd say its a carb problem or fuel pump issue like mentioned above.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Southco makes the latches for the cuddy and door. Look on their website or call GW cuts service and get the part numbers.

If you have a surge, you probably are headed for a carb rebuild. I had the same problem with my 98 150 SWS. Yamaha had issues that year with the pot metal in the carbs falling apart and getting sucked through the jets.

Good luck....you will love the boat.

steveditt

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions as I’m slowly moving forward first building a winter storage, spoke to a mechanic who has done work prior and he suggested winterizing waiting until spring and first rebuild the carbs but as suggested I think I’ll have him replace both fuel pumps at the same time as well as fuel filters.Draining and changing the oil tank filter is a good idea. Going to replace both thermostats and water pump this way we have a good starting point on maintenance schedule. Found some of the latches online and loosened a few others ,the one I’m confused about is the anchor locker lid . Need to upgrade all the electronics also.

97208ct

Reaction score
Went thru same last year with a new to us 97 208 with same motor. The anchor locker latch (and many other items) are Perko and still available. Found some at West, Defender and GW dealers. Many dealers have new old stock and can find some good deals if willing to take time and look around.

sling

Reaction score
The anchor latch comes in a male/female kit. You can get exact replacement at Boat US/West Marine inexpensively.