New BFT Regs out today!!!!

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
https://hmspermits.noaa.gov/News.asp

2010 Recreational Atlantic Tunas Retention Limits
The current recreational daily bluefin tuna (BFT) retention for limit for HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Headboat vessels (while fishing recreationally) is 1 BFT/vessel/day/trip, measuring 27 to less than 73" CFL. STARTING SATURDAY JUNE 12, the daily retention limit for private vessels will be one school or large school BFT (measuring 27 to less than 59 inches) per vessel per day/trip and for charter vessels one school BFT (measuring 27 to less than 47 inches) and one large school BFT (measuring 47 to less than 59 inches) per vessel per day/trip, for the remainder of the 2010 fishing year, These BFT retention limits are effective for all areas, except for the Gulf of Mexico. The Gulf of Mexico is designated as a spawning grounds for BFT and therefore NMFS does not allow vessels, commercial or recreational, to target BFT while fishing in this area. However, HMS Angling and HMS Charter/Heaboats are eligible to retain 1 BFT (73 inches or greater) per vessel per year as a “trophy” fish for the boat. This fish may be retained in the Gulf of Mexico if it is caught incidentally while pursuing other species. The recreational yellowfin tuna daily retention limit is 3 yellowfin/person/day/trip. The minimum size for yellowfin and bigeye tuna is 27" curved fork length. There are no recreational limits for bigeye, skipjack or albacore tunas.

reelserious

Reaction score
We were lucky enough to get out and land one yesterday. CFL was 71 inches. Found out last night about the new regs. effective Saturday. Looks like we got in just under the wire. It will be interesting to see if we can find any smaller fish this season. Personally I would prefer the 55 inch fish we were catching a few seasons back. More fun to catch, easier to deal with and plenty of meat. The concern I have about the new reg is that we could see a lot of fish killed by people trying to catch a sub 59 incher. I don't mean intentionally killed, just fish killed by the long fight, break-offs and boatside handling to release and/or measure. Based on yesterdays fight, which was on a bent-butt 80, I think that stand-up 50's are just not going to be enough for most anglers to get these fish boatside.....especially quickly. The whole fight I kept thinking thank God he didn't hit one of our 50's.

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Every fish that I have caught has been 55-65 inches. This will pretty much shut out the angling class using stand up gear.
Not sure how effective it is to telease a 60 inch fish after a 45 minute fight. I'm not even sure how you will get an accurate measurement while leaving the fish in the water.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm new to BFT fishing this year.
Are the regs changed often during the year? Why the sudden change less than 2-weeks into the season?

journeyman

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
The regs do change periodically depending on the landing quotas. Do you receive email changes from the NMFS?

This is a first, at least for me, that they've eliminated a whole class of tuna (59 to less than 73). I'll bet the oil spill in the gulf has something to do with this since that's where they spawn. I've got my tagging kit ready. Hopefully the footballs will show in force this year!!!!

Legend

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
There is a link on the National Marine Fisheries site that let's you sing up for automatic email notifications of regulation changes. I was notified Thursday morning of the changes - Pretty cool option to keep you informed - How many people do you think will be heading out this weekend with no idea of the changes. I am sure the marine patrols will be watching.