New bimini top suggestions

fastexas

Reaction score
My '05 Tournament 225 has a pretty rickety bimini; it's the original. I'd like to replace it as a winter project, but I would also like to have one that's a bit longer and maybe 2" higher as well. Is there a reputable top shop anyone could recommend that might make something other than OEM sized?

seasick

Reaction score
Have you researched off the shelf models to see if there is a longer and taller model available?
This site has three different heights available. I have no experience with the company, I just googled bimini tops and this popped up

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Check out Carver covers - they manufacture universal fit biminis in a range of sizes, fabrics and fittings. Good, quality product - not over priced. Another good avenue is a local shop that can make it any way you want it.

Reactions: Bread

jillyrubyjane

Reaction score
Model
Dolphin
Highly recommend msc 3 bow bimini top boat cover, excellent quality and price and it comes with all the hardware and cover boot! To top it off, it comes with a 2yr warranty on materials and 5yr warranty on frame. It is easy to install and stable. Perfect height and size for my 19' Stingray bowrider. Good shade and grey color helps cool us down from Florida heat. I have looked everywhere and this is 50% cheaper than other brands out there!

Last edited:

fastexas

Reaction score
Highly recommend msc 3 bow bimini top boat cover, excellent quality and price and it comes with all the hardware and cover boot! To top it off, it comes with a 2yr warranty on materials and 5yr warranty on frame. It is easy to install and stable. Perfect height and size for my 19' Stingray bowrider. Good shade and grey color helps cool us down from Florida heat. I have looked everywhere and this is 50% cheaper than other brands out there!

Jilly....is MSC a brand? get nothing when I google MSC

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
I've got a 1991 Tournament 225 that I've been looking at replacing the bimini top on as well since it's getting pretty ratty. In the Northeast I've looked at a few custom manufacturers and quotes are $3,500-4,000 for a custom made bimini using 1.25" OD stainless tubing. Like you I wanted it a little longer than normal to provide more shade. Custom hardtops are coming in around $7,000 - 10,000. I did get some decent pricing from Atlantic Towers on tops but concerned about how sturdy they are. Anybody have any experience with their tops? Let me know if you find a good bimini place and what you end doing.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hey Fast Texas, Another follow up. I had some time at lunch and spoke with National Bimini tops (thanks Seasick!) and they can do a 96" long (standard is 72") x 54" high x 91-96" wide for $329.99. This was the Summerset fabric in royal blue. Includes a boot cover, rear support poles and free shipping. If you want to go with the longer length you have to call their 800# and order. I spoke to a customer service rep named Anthony who seemed to know their product line well. A viable option that I'll look into for sure after first of the year.

glacierbaze

Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Skimming their site, I don't see where it says whether the bows are one piece, or three. Or what metal. At that price, aluminum for sure. If you want a top that doesn't flex and flap, you want one-piece bows, and preferably ss, or at least heavy wall alum.
Do you have any other canvas? If so, it won't fit a non OEM bimini.
If you have time to wait, and shop, not unusual to see a brand new, all stainless Sunbrella bimini on Craig's list for about the same cost, when someone opts for a tee top on their boat.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Not familiar, myseld, with MSC - but some quick googling looks like it is a price-point top. Let's just say it's "inexpensive" looking! :)

National Bimini Tops is a retailer - they don't make tops. Find out who the manufacturer is.

I can't speak, first hand, for either of those companies, but I can tell you that the one I mentioned above is a good manufacturer. Find out what you need, then locate a retailer. Preferably a local marine store whose suppliers provide it - otherwise shipping is going to add a good chunk of change.

Whatever you do, consider getting stainless connectors - especially the mounting feet as they take the brunt of wear.

$3,500 for a bimini? Even at 1-1/4" SS (1" is plenty, by the way), that is very, VERY high.

Green Mountain Grady

Reaction score
Hi Dennis, I'll check out Carver. I got like 3 different custom bimini quotes from guys down in the Cape Cod/ South Shore area and they were all like $3-4,000 which I agree seems pretty high. I lived in Allentown for 5 years when I worked for Air Products(over near the velodrome) and my parents live in Bath, ME so we've perhaps crossed path somewhere/ some time.

fastexas

Reaction score
I've got a 1991 Tournament 225 that I've been looking at replacing the bimini top on as well since it's getting pretty ratty. In the Northeast I've looked at a few custom manufacturers and quotes are $3,500-4,000 for a custom made bimini using 1.25" OD stainless tubing. Like you I wanted it a little longer than normal to provide more shade. Custom hardtops are coming in around $7,000 - 10,000. I did get some decent pricing from Atlantic Towers on tops but concerned about how sturdy they are. Anybody have any experience with their tops? Let me know if you find a good bimini place and what you end doing.

Thanks Green....I'll take a look.

gw204

Reaction score
Not sure if it would work for any of you guys but I have an OEM bimini from a 180 Grady CC in new condition that I'm going to sell. Bought it probably 10 years ago for my 17' Mako project and never used it. Been hanging in my garage ever since.