new boat advise

chunk78

Reaction score
I am in the market for a new Grady. I currently have a tournament 190 and am looking for something that is larger and can make the trip to the Gulfstream (70 mi each way). I am comparing the Gulfstream and Islander models and have been torn between the two. The islander is 2 foot longer but the gulf stream is wider making it a better trolling platform...My question is which boat is a better offshore fishing platform and will the width or length serve me better. Any first handle knowledge of these two boats offshore would be appreciated.

On a separate note I have noticed that both of these boats often come with a single 250hp engine how do they perform with this power.

Thanks in advance

ayacht

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
If I was buying a boat knowing that I am going that far I would want twin engines? You may want to reconsider your model and power choice. Having the extra security is very nice.

chunk78

Reaction score
I am leaning towards the gulfstream but am definitely looking for twin 150's or 175's. I only asked about the single 250 as I see a lot of used boats powered with this engine. It seems a little light to me as well. I was hoping to see if anyone who had this configuration had an opinion. Thanks for the responses

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Purchased our 2002 Islander new, with a single 250HP OX66. Extremely reliable power and adequate for fishing the lower Chesapeake Bay and close-in offshore. But we were introduced to pelagic fishing in 2004 and repowered in Nov 2005 to twin F150s. We had 465hrs on the OX66 when we traded it, and we now have 1115hrs on the twins.

We have a few dozen trips to the Norfolk Canyon area, about 75nm each way. Boat has always taken good care of us, and is an excellent platform for five people for trolling, bailing, or deep-dropping.

No personal experience with a 232, but have seen them offshore with us, both singles and twins.

We repowered to improve the fuel efficiency, and now get 35-40% better economy at a higher cruise speed, plus a six knot increase in top speed. We had a FloScan 9000 with the OX66 and we did not have the range to fish the areas we routinely fish now. It was not a matter of a single vs. twins, just 1.20nmpg vs 1.65nmpg.

If you look at Islanders, be aware of the difference in fuel capacity between the 268 and 270 models, and whether or not the auxiliary fuel tank is installed. Our boat came from the factory with a single 150-gal main tank, and without the 56-gal aux tank.

Finally, one of our TGWC members has a 268 and repowered this year from the original 250HP OX66 to the new Yamaha V-6 300HP 4S engine. They get great performance and fuel economy. I would have done the same if that engine had been available in 2005.

Best wishes,
Brian

bayrat

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
My next door neighbor had the gulfstream with the single 250. He had no complaints about power but maneuverability at docking was definitely an issue. The 9'3" beam plus the bracket makes it so. I have seen an equal number of gulfstreams with twin f 150's so they are out there. I'm sure that you will get a number of opinions from actual Gulfstream owners on the forum as to their preference and that will help you immensely.

jcacchio

Reaction score
I have owned 3 gradys in the past 10 years. Started with a Seafarer, then Islander, now a Gulfstream. As far as offshore fishing, I prefer my current Gulfstream. The wider beam gives a better ride and there is ample room in the cockpit. I mostly troll for tuna about 30 miles offshore of OCMD and I am very happy with the Gulfstream.