New Boat Order - Kicker choices

Flot

Reaction score
Model
Express 330
By a lot of trolling, I mean: all of my fishing is trolling. Which is for Mahi Mahi, Ahi, and maybe an unlucky bill fish. I won’t be slow trolling like the salmon guys, but mid 6-10 knots.

I don't think the 9.9 will do anything for you at those speeds either. Your trolling speeds are like ours (and the fish, too) you'll probably be running that 4 cyl at 1300-1400 rpm to get those numbers. (which will still sip fuel)

If you're looking at this long term (which is smart) your F200 will probably be a very, very long-lived motor. However if you want to buy reliability, the numbers really aren't bad for repowers. Pulling off an F200 and putting a new one on is a few hours of labor, and even when you've got ~1000 hours on it, you may find the motor is still worth 50% of a new one.

Down here in South Florida there's a constant parade of twin or triple 250s or 300s being swapped out every 3-7 years for the same reasons. There's always a buyer for a well maintained motor..

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky,
for your kicker, do you have any controls at the helm? how do you steer and control speed?

Well, I just put it on so I'm still figuring that out. So far I've been leaning over the seat which isn't ideal. If you look at the pics I did get a tiller extension so it is easier to steer and control speed. Still have to lean for tilt/start/stop.

I bought the hardware to link the two motors but Suzuki doesn't have the tapped holes so if I go that route I have to make a bracket. I'm going to try with the cheap ass $20 tiller extension for a trip or two, if I decide I'm OK with that there is a $200 one that has wiring and a switch in it for tilt. Then I only lean for start/stop. Might be able to wire something for that as well.

I'll freely admit I'm weird, I kinda like them not being linked. I can fine tune my drift with the big engine and can angle the boat in ways I like that wouldn't work if they were linked. Sometimes with wind you don't want to be pointed "straight" if that makes any sense.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish

Bird Blaster

Reaction score
Model
Gulfstream
@Lucky - try something like this:

You will never go back once you get used to hands-free steering. I see that there are many different flavors now, but I can say that the TR-1 even if superseded is a game changer. FWIW...

I have been eyeing exactly this. Looks like a perfect rig for planning salmon trolling runs.

ScottyCee

Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Can't say enough good things about that product.

Google "kicker motor auto pilot" - the sheer amount of them now available is staggering.

luckydude

Reaction score
Website
mcvoy.com
Model
Seafarer
Lucky - Thanks for the pics. Nice install.

I will save these pics for later for myself!

The hardest part of the install was getting the motor over the bracket. My kid, wife, and I couldn't get it at first, that motor is awkward to handle and there are no lifting loops on the engine. I finally put some felt on the bucket of my small tractor, had the wife and kid balance it, raised it up and walked it forward. We had to do it twice because the bracket is skinny and the hold down bolts are for a transom so they didn't close down enough. Cut up some HDPE, lifted it up, slipped that in, now we were in business.

Another tip is you'll probably get a small gas can, I did. If you are like me, you'll go to West Marine in search of the male part of the quick connect so you can screw it into the fuel source. Don't bother, the male part on the gas can fits.

Good luck.

Capt Bill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
Sweet setup you've got there. Years ago (many), I had a Grady Offshore 24, and I put a Yamaha 9.9 on a bracket, for trolling out about 10 mi. I plumbed up the an unused port on the fuel filter boss, and ran the kicker right off my main tank. That worked great.

I also wondered about steering, and this back in the early 1990's, was before kicker auto-pilots. I found out that if I left the Yamaha 250 skeg in the water, it worked as a rudder, and I could steer pretty good with the wheel. Now that inexpensive autopilots are plentiful, if I were to do this again, I'd get an AP.

Good luck with your new Grady, and enjoy.

Reactions: ScottyCee

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
Just reading the updates, correct the addition of a 9.9hp kicker will not be a good addition for Koakine88's trolling needs.
My apologies for the earlier suggestion, I was assuming a low trolling speed.

Another point, you don't want to be trolling at the top end of the throttle all the time, not good for the engine long term.

I agree with the other members who said you can do what you need to with your Yammie 200.

Ps-When I use my Honda BF200 to troll on windy days, not much gas is used while trolling.
Getting up on plane and cruise is where the real burn is.

Pighunter

Reaction score
The hardest part of the install was getting the motor over the bracket. My kid, wife, and I couldn't get it at first, that motor is awkward to handle and there are no lifting loops on the engine. I finally put some felt on the bucket of my small tractor, had the wife and kid balance it, raised it up and walked it forward. We had to do it twice because the bracket is skinny and the hold down bolts are for a transom so they didn't close down enough. Cut up some HDPE, lifted it up, slipped that in, now we were in business.

Another tip is you'll probably get a small gas can, I did. If you are like me, you'll go to West Marine in search of the male part of the quick connect so you can screw it into the fuel source. Don't bother, the male part on the gas can fits.

Good luck.
Have you thought about plumbing the fuel line directly into the main fuel system? That's how I'm rigging mine, I went through the can on my last boat and I didn't and I didn't like it.

Reactions: ScottyCee

Koakine88

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I appreciate all the advice. I think the best takeaway I got was the advice someone gave to sell my outboard when it gets up near 1,000 hours. Take good care of it and I can still sell it for a decent amount, rather than waiting until it dies and is worth nothing. Then repower with the latest and greatest. Looks like a kicker isn’t the right move for me.

leeccoll

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Seafarer
I really believe that is your best option.

You got some great sage advice from other Grady owners here.

Better post us some pictures when you take possession of her!

MooseheadDoc

Reaction score
Model
Adventure
I don’t see any mention here of “trolling plates”.
I am no expert- just an occasional recreational fisherman. Before I recently acquired my Grady I ran a 19ft center console with 140hp Suzuki 4-stroke. We mostly troll the lake for salmon and togue- goal about 1.6 to 2.0 mph. My 4-stroke managed about 3.5mph. Instead of a kicker I added as “easy troller” trolling plate. I am NOT selling a product. Others looked good. I chose this for cost and availability (as noted, inventory of all boating stuff is lowwwww). It installed easily and worked perfectly. I can easily make 1.4mph. My 4-stroke was quiet and efficient, so cost, smell, and noise were non-issues. I would do this again in a second.
My new/old Grady- ‘92 Adventure 208- has a 2-stroke. Until I repower her with a 4, I’m considering a kicker. I don’t think the trolling plate on the 2 will work as well.

good luck to all- JB

Attachments

• 32C559BE-E2BA-4698-BAA7-BBF6A851271A.jpeg
    32C559BE-E2BA-4698-BAA7-BBF6A851271A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3