New Boat Purchase Questions

wtsunset

Reaction score
Looking for advice on new boat purchasing. It will be my first boat purchase and first Grady. I am planning on purchasing at an upcoming boat show. Any tips on how to get the best deal? What is and is not negotiable at time of purchase and what should i pay most attention to? Looking forward to becoming a Grady owner! Thanks for your tips.

HaleNalu

Reaction score
Congrats on making the step towards a purchase!

My only suggestion on how to get the best deal right now is this- don't buy new. Right now there is an amazing amount of boats on the market, many with very minimal hours. The hull warranty and engine warranties of these boats are transferable, and for a boat 1 or 2 years old many of the bugs are often worked out. As a new boat owner, most of these boats will be set up properly with electronics, etc.

If I had the money, I certainly would love to buy new and deck the boat out exactly the way I wanted...but I also know exactly what I want. If you are not sure EXACTLY what you want, buying a next to new boat is a great way to start. If it turns out that you really want something else, you can re-sell it without the marked depreciation of a spanking new boat.

That being said- if you plan to buy new, the best deals are going to be old inventory- last years models, etc. Be aware that Yamaha is coming out with brand new outboards this spring which are a technology jump. If I was buying new, I would either make sure I get a significant discount on the current style power plants that weigh a lot more than the new styles, or tell the dealer to wait until the new motors come in. Yam 250's right now are definitely getting cheaper while old inventory depletes.

Things that are very negotiable are electronic installs, engine services, etc. Things that the dealer can control without cash outlay are the best ones to ask for. You pay for the fluids, and the dealer services the engines, winterizes the boat, etc.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
EVERYTHING is negotiable. just don't be a "jerk," which would probably turn the dealer off. approach it in a cordial business manner and you WILL strike a deal that both you and the dealer are satisfied with.

new leftovers will probably be your deepest discount, although you should be able to get very good prices on current model years (especially if the dealer already has them in stock).

make sure everything is written down so that you know exactly what is included in your price. someone on tht mentioned that they "thought" pfd's, extinguisher, etc was included and was surprised when they didn't get them.

that should go right down to transport and launching.

you can always go used (i don't) and get good pricing, however, unless you are handy, it sometimes could cost more than you anticipated. good luck, ron

Butcherboy

Reaction score
new boat

The buying part is really fun. I agree with everything said but most importantly getting the one you really want...the one you really want. Once this market cycle passes alot of us will wish we had done this or that while it was in play. Do your research and remember its a buyers market and it should be difficult to overpay. I'm also looking and seeing new-unsold 08's still out there..........Tom

Tashmoo

Reaction score
All good advice from above. Over the past year we have seen GW dealers expose their margins for the first time ever with offers to sell boats at 20 - 25% + under sticker. I think that this practice is now over for the most part but you now know where the bottom is or was.

Be very careful with the "Dealer Prep" and dealer add ons. Dealer prep can be 10% or more of the purchase price and includes items such as a "Coast Guard Package" and a lot of very fuzzy Blah Blah Blah. Make the dealer rationalize the number for you and check the quality of what they are providing, if you do not see the value in what they are selling it as, push back. Remember the factory rigs the engines on GW's not the dealer.

I know I screwed up and left $$ on the table with mine on this issue.

striped bass

Reaction score
Be sure to insist on the Captain's Package as part of the purchase price. The Package includes bumpers, lines, fire extinguishers, anchor, anchor rode, coast guard equipment, bottom prep and undercoat paint and a few more things I probably left out. It all adds up to significant dollars when the dealer agrees to throw this in the deal.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
striped bass said:
Be sure to insist on the Captain's Package as part of the purchase price. The Package includes bumpers, lines, fire extinguishers, anchor, anchor rode, coast guard equipment, bottom prep and undercoat paint and a few more things I probably left out. It all adds up to significant dollars when the dealer agrees to throw this in the deal.

don't focus on a "name" different dealers call it different names. focus on individual items included with your purchase. ron

DB

Reaction score
Newbie Questions...

Purchasing a new or used Grady is an exciting experience. However I have seen to many times a individual get to focused on price and loose focus on why they are purchasing a boat to begin with. It is the job of your salesman and dealership to provide the buyer with the knowledge, safety, reliability and overall pleasurable experience from the first greeting right thru delivery.
It is very important to be honest with a dealer and have loyalty. I will always give the best deals to those I can trust, the same trust you deserve in your buying experience. I wish you all the best in your search for a new or used Grady White Boat and hope a congratulations are in order in the near future.

Dan Bren

megabytes

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Welcome to the board. You will find Grady owners of every model here (we are still waiting for the first 290 however). :)

What model are you considering? One of the best current strategies if you prefer new is to find a non-current model. These generally bring large discounts since they are already "used" according to year model. Dealers need to move them to reduce floor plan costs and make room for new models. Good luck!

wtsunset

Reaction score
I am looking at the Tournament 275 with the hardtop as a compromise between fishing and cruising with the kids. Not alot of supply in used or leftovers (at least outfitted the way i want) out there on this one.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
wtsunset said:
I am looking at the Tournament 275 with the hardtop as a compromise between fishing and cruising with the kids. Not alot of supply in used or leftovers (at least outfitted the way i want) out there on this one.

sometimes that happens, but you should still be negotiating on the new one. ron