New Boat Question

ssrcobra

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I took delivery of a 285 Freedom about a month ago, It was recommended to keep the boat plugged in while not in use on my dock. Why is the draw on amperage so high (30 amps)? I only have 15 amp receptacles on my dock so I am using a converter plug with a standard extension cord and not have any problems. But I would like to understand what the heavy draw is for that high of amperage.

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
are you sure it is not 30 watts? that would be a maintenance draw for a battery charger. 30 amps is top of the chart for that size boat. good luck, ron

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Are you sure it is actually drawing 30 A? Or are you referring to the 30 amp capacity of the system. The system is designed to accommodate up to 30 A because of appliances etc. The simple battery charger will not draw but about 5 A. You may not be able to operate all of your equipment off of the 15 amp dockside system, But any full service marina will have both 30 and 50 amp receptacles to accommodate all the needs of your boat. 30 A is the maximum capacity for the external AC system on your boat. Check the gauge on your AC panel for the actual amperage draw.

ssrcobra

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't that clear after rereading it.
So my Grady comes with a 30 amp 120V twist lock plug, I am converting it down to 15 amp 120V more common receptacle plug at my house with no problem.
Question is why does Grady build them with the 30 amp plug? What is the draw needing 30 amps? Two battery chargers? Is it the line length they do it for? Is there other stuff need 120v?

Reactions: brdawg2001

wspitler

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
30 amp feed is a standard for marine use. My 330 has air conditioning, stove microwave, water heater, and refrigerator, all AC. Total draw is often much greater than 15 A. 15 A is inadequate for even two or three different appliances. Therefore they go with standard 30 amp receptacles and plugs as per typical Marine use. Most GW boats over 28 feet have more than one AC appliance in addition to a battery charger, therefore the need for at least 30 A service. The 360s may even have 50 amp service, not sure! With regard to your onboard battery charger, it is a great idea to leave it plugged in and turned on as it will extend the life of your batteries and provide for maximum capacity for each and every trip. The new smart chargers are outstanding!

Last edited: