New Boat questions

ssrcobra

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
I have a 6 month old Freedom 285 Grady White which I really have enjoyed so far. My question is the dive door on the side when opened rubs the rail of my rear bench seat. Should I make them fix this correctly or do I just let it go?

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
Hi,

Are you saying that the dive door would need to be moved forward on the hull to create enough clearance?

ssrcobra

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
No, sorry the bench would have to be relocated to the left at least 1/2". I will try to post a picture tomorrow. Still a big job they will have to resin and gel coat the old holes shut.

JJF

Reaction score
Model
Canyon 306
It may be an optical illusion, but the frame on the bench looks out of shape. Meaning: the rear end looks closer to the cushion than the front end.

If it's not that, then I would have GW fix it. If it causes things to wear, then that will bother you. If/when you go to sell the boat it may/will bother a potential buyer.

I trust that they will may the repair look perfect.

Further, once you are out of your one year warranty, you will be SOL.

Just my $00.02.

seasick

Reaction score
There seems to be an existing repair job. What was that about?
Just to clarify; You bought this boat new, correct?
Normally the first action is to contact the dealer and see what response you get.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
It all depends on the design intent. Do other 285's allow for the door to open when the bench seat is down? If so, then yes it should be addressed. If not, put the bench seat down before you open the door and the problem goes away.

ssrcobra

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
Well I want to thank everyone for commenting on this.
I decided I want this fixed and fixed correctly. I am and I am NOT angry about this. I know work forces are new, I know dealers are over whelmed because boats are shorted items and the dealers have to field install them. But I have been asking this question for 9 months along with other items. The list is getting shorter and I was promised that the tech that was coming to my dock was going to clear up all of the items. He did even know about this about the seat/dive door problem, which in my opinion should have been thrown back to the manufacturer.

Long story short I called Grady customer relations today and they assured me it would be taken care of.

Yes I want it freakin fixed,

I do love the boat, judgement is out on the dealer

FYI, my boat was shipped without outboards, rear seat controller, no dive ladder, a bad Yamaha CL7 controller, and I few other items that I don't even remember.
Thanks COVID for screwing me on the quality of my boat

Thank you everyone on your support

ssrcobra

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 285
One more follow up, It's looking like Grady installed the wrong rear bench seat.
The heartburn is that the dealer didn't figure it out I had to call Grady myself.

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'd make a punch list if anything else and get it on record at a minimum with the dealer. I'd want it fixed (let them decide what needs to be done) if it were my boat.
Nice to see you got it identified. That is an easy switch that the dealer can do when the right one is delivered.