New Boat Set-up - Mechanical or Digital 150s?

1st8Eer

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
We are in the process of ordering a new 257 Fisherman. Do any of you with a similar setup have any opinions on the DEC vs. Mechanical? Trying to make a decision and would like some input from someone that has personally used them. We are going with a pair of Yamaha F150s, but will not be going with the HelmMaster. Thoughts?

Fowl Hooked

Reaction score
Model
Express 265
When I had a surprise repower (victim of the early 2000s dry exhaust corrosion problem) I tried to save where I could and kept the mechanicals from the original 225s for use with the new 250s. I've since driven other boats with the digital controls and while I love the power and performance of the 250s I regret not having spent the extra money and gone digital on the controls. They're simply smoother, easier to fine adjust without over-correcting, have the ability to up/down in 50rpm increments at slow speeds to digitally tune in a trolling speed, are all things I wish I had now that I know what I missing.

loubeer

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Express 330
Similar experience to "Fowl Hooked" with my 330 Express, but I went digital and glad I did.

wrxhoon

Reaction score
I have digital on my current boat, never going back to mechanical. Well worth the extra $$$.

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
What others mentioned plus throttle sync and using one throttle for both engines. Operating mechanical twins in rough conditions will have you constantly trying to match engine rpm's as you are picking your way through the slop. Digital allows you to sync the engines to the same rpm and use one throttle. Without a doubt digital for twins.

Rustygaff

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 255
Digital and don't look back. My digital F300 is now 10 years old and has not skipped a beat. I'm kind of surprised than on new builds mechanical is even offered. My only complaint is that my binnacle is getting a bit sticky. It has one rough spot when accelerating.

Last edited:

1st8Eer

Reaction score
Model
Fisherman 257
Thanks for all the feedback. It definitely sounds like digital is the way to go. I really appreciate all the comments. Can't wait for the boat to get finished!

family affair

Reaction score
Model
Islander
Thanks for all the feedback. It definitely sounds like digital is the way to go. I really appreciate all the comments. Can't wait for the boat to get finished!
Congrats on the new boat! Be sure to post photos.
If you end up not liking the digital controls, I'll happily trade you for my mechanicals! ;)