New Boat - what will it take for you to buy one?

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had an interesting email today, a sales guy from a dealer - who I will not name - that I have never met, telling me I had not traded my GW in several years and he knew it was time for me to buy given my history.

OK, maybe, but not in this economy, uncertainty, GW still has no new huge changes on the horizon that I have seen.....

So what about you? I deleted his message, no response needed. I think, maybe, if the economy turns around and I feel like 400% more confident I will have an income, GW comes out with something really new and exciting and maybe Yamaha pitches in with products that would get us great performance at more than .5mpg, and we aren't faced with 50% immediate value loss upon purchase, I might consider trading.

Until then, I am sitting tight. What about you? Ready to buy something that is currently available, get financing, absorb depreciation, etc? I don't have the answer and I CERTAINLY hope GW can weather this storm, God knows I love those folks, but where is the magic in todays market?

Frank

Reaction score
When I find a model I really want at a price reflecting the incremental value and use I will get out of it. The boat I have does 70% of what I want a boat to do and I have been looking for more than a year but I have trouble concluding that I should put another $100K plus in just to do the rest.

sel1005

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Frank, I think you said it really well. I do get concerned about future viability and support given the market though, not as much from having new innovations available as much as I want GW and Yamaha to be strong financially so we can rely on them for service and support in future years...

Fishtales

Reaction score
I'm not sure what it would take. Not only the economy but life changes. I'm looking at college for one this year and another 3 behind her.
I agree with the assessment, any decent move requires a large spend. Given the economic uncertainty I wouldn't let it go. Low to no debt and cash are king.

I guess if a big bag falls out of a brinks truck or if I hit the lottery, I'd make the jump....

no problem

Reaction score
sel1005 every point you made is valid and I agree. If a deal catches your eye that causes you to ignore those reasons, that's when you become a boater. Until then your fishing on the pier. One thing that helps me is I don't call it "loss" or "depreciation" at our house its "the cost enjoyment" :D. Oh and lets be honest, my boats a 1992. I'm getting new motors in a week or so but certainly not a new boat.

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
No plans to trade/buy here.
My 232 is perfect for what I do and to make a significant upgrade would cost an incredible amount. Plus, my Gulfstream would be worth 1/2 of what I paid in this day-and-age.(maybe less.)

I think plain old desire increases temptation and the urge to get the calculators out and start crunching numbers. If one is happy with his/her boat, there's less justification to go in the tank. The current economic situation my have folks reticent to splurge, but never sell short that one-of-a-kind urge when one falls in love with his/her's "perfect" boat.

capeguy

Reaction score
For me the question is really about new vs. used. I am planning to make a significant jump in the coming year or two into a Marlin class boat. But with so many later models on the used market, I don't see how I could justify going new. I just don't see the value.

SmokyMtnGrady

Reaction score
I agree with Sel and Cape Guy:
I really want to get an Express 33, new does not seem to be a reality unless I get some killer deal on a prior model year close out or something.

There are a few potential economic taxes that could negatively effect my dream. If the VAT tax enters our lives down the road, I dont know how Grady or any other boat or RV company will be able to survive it. Then again if Cap and Trade passes who knows what that will do too. A I dont know if the VAT tax would apply to used stuff or not. As a small business owner these two taxes will impact my business and thus impact my ability to afford a 33 to buy and operate.

These are things that are both nebulous, volitile and cast uncertainty in our short and long term economic outlook. These are in the back of my mind in buying a bigger boat.

Grouper Duper

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I'll be changing "up" this year and see no reason not to do so. However, I never buy new and never finance, so I guess I don't really count for the original question. Of course not buying new and not financing is probably what protects me from the current economics in the first place, and has also put a lot of great boats within reach!

Gman25

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Last year I took a peek at an 08 33 leftover at a local dealer. Before I sat down I told him it would have to make sense for me to consider signing.When we sat down he offered me 20k less on trade then what I owe on my boat(and I put over 50k down).Soooo for me to consider it,it would have to make sense.

2005 300 Marlin w/F250's

GW VOYAGER

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I agree with no problem. Another thing I read a lot of on this site is if you buy a certain outboard your resell value will be less.
My thought on this is if you are looking for an investment with great returns a boat is not the direction you need to head.
Buy the most boat used or new that you can afford and don't look back.
Am I off topic ? If so I'll add in this economy I would only buy a new boat if I hit the lottery or an uncle that I don't know dies and leaves me a fortune.

Capt. Ed

Reaction score
New boat?

Frank and Magicalbil nailed it for me. My GW does 100% of what I want to do on the water. And, for what it will cost to move up to a newer 33, I can do a lot of nice upgrades to my Marlin like power assist and inverter/generator and still have lots left over to replace my F225 if they ever wear out.

g0tagrip

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
New boat?

I am with you guys for the most part. I started out with a 22 Seafarer, needed more boat and two engines so I traded up to the Sailfish. 7 years later we got foot-itus, we were not comfortable on overnighters of more than one night. Now my Marlin does 100% of what I want out of my boat. Plus the 4 strokes are so much more quiet than the 200 two strokes we had on the Sailfish. The Yamaha mechanic that helps me with the difficult fuel filter changes at 200 hours says my motors ought to run trouble free for 10-12 years assuming I keep taking good care of them. This boat will out live me. I am a pretty happy GW owner.

exudedude

Reaction score
No offense to anyone.. but I would not ever buy another Grady White..

georgemjr

Reaction score
No offense taken, it is what makes the world go round.

I just upgraded this spring, although I bought an '06, so I may not fit the question perfectly. I had an '01 Sailfish and was interested in gaining some ammenities that it did not have: genset, ac/heat, 4 strokes. I looked at the Marlins and while searching decided on the Express. I love both, but the price difference was relatively close,, so I figured why not go for the 33? I agree with everything that was posted about buying used. Someone else took the initial hit. I have had a lot of odds and ends to work through (especially for a relatively new boat), but I don't mind. When I am done I will know that everything is 100%.

bighook

Reaction score
Hello,
Well I changed boats.Last year I had my 06 226Seafarer and felt I needed something alittle bigger.So I bought a new 08 232 with twins.Love the boat,even knowing I have not put it in the water yet.But been on a 232 in the past.

Sorry to say,but I took advantage of the poor economy and the very poor boat market.Sold my 226 on a private sale and yes,I had to pony up some cash to make the change.But it was less then $25k in total.

Now had this been a booming year for boat sales and all.I am sure it would of cost me well over $60k diff.Then I would not of been able to do it.So this is why I did it this year and did not wait for things to improve.Remember when things get better,prices go up!!

Average Joe

Reaction score
A drop in price. I think the cost of boats got out of control much like houses did. The housing market has adjusted but new boats are still advertised at insane prices.

SoutheastFL

Reaction score
Average Joe said:
A drop in price. I think the cost of boats got out of control much like houses did. The housing market has adjusted but new boats are still advertised at insane prices.

Agreed. If they can't lower their prices then at least GW could upgrade a few of their models, like the Sailfish and Marlin. Fix that awful caulked in generator cover, upgrade to a fiberglass framed windshield, start offering a warranty on hull blisters like some of their competition does, upgrade their cabin windows to ones that look like their belong on a boat instead of a mid priced RV, and start using solid core countertops instead of that cheap sprayed on finish.

grady 306 bimini

Reaction score
i always thought i would never buy a new boat...............until i found a dealer with a leftover 2007 306 and it was a killer deal i couldnt pass it up
tim