New boater question about the Voyager and Gulfstream

rjfiore1

Reaction score
All, this is my first post and I apologize if this may be a repeat of a thread somewhere but I did try to look.... Nice to be here! Ok, so I am looking at getting my first boat and want it to be a goodie for a couple of reasons, resale, safety, ride. I am toying between a +/-2002 Gulftream single engine on a bracket or a 2003 Voyager also single o/b. I am not a fisherman but I NEED A hobby and would like to get into it a bit. Also would like a comfy boat to cruise around on with a few buddies. Must have a hardtop. Does anyone have any suggestions between the two? Would like to use the boat as an overnighter a few times a year to go over the Vineyard or down the cape as well. It will be on a mooring for starters... If I end up loving this then may be a bigger boat or at least a slip... THanks for any input.

striped bass

Reaction score
IMHO anything less than a single F350 on a 232 will not have the umph and maneuverability you will need. Dual 150s or 200s are best for the 232 to give you the performance you need. Can't speak for the Voyager.

rjfiore1

Reaction score
I have heard that from a few people that the boats maybe somewhat underpowered- My thoughts on that at the moment are that b/c it's my first boat I think I'll be pleased that I don't have to use a paddle!!! and I guess since it comes from the factory (or rather previous owner specified one engine) it would be ok. If I end up loving this gig, then I guess it will be a 28' sailfish with twins for my next one :lol:

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
I always qualify my comments with the fact that it's easier for me to spend your money than mine..
Keeping that in mind, I have a 232 Gulfstream with twin 200's. There are pro's and con's between the members on this board concerning the advantages and disadvantages of the two setups. That said, I agree with Striped Bass.
I personally would not have a 232 with a single..Twins make it much more maneuverable dockside and they plane the boat easier. The single will work harder and if you stuff the boat with your buds and all their gear, the weight adds up quickly.
Even though a single is a legitimate factory option, that does not mean it's the best setup..They offer a single to give customers lower pricing.

My selling dealer(Twin Cities Marine, Two Rivers WI..the absolute best!!) told me if I got the twins, I'd never get another single and they are right.

I've never been on a Voyager..Best of luck choosing your ride...

yankeecause

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Being your first boat I can see you concern of dealing with 2 motors. Don't let it bother you, take it slow and easy and you will love them. Also if you do decide to sell it later to move up, A Gulfstream with twins will be easier to sell. That's my .02. Joe

ElyseM

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
have to agree with the others on twins. had twin f200's on ours.

big cockpit on the 232. i don't know how the cabin compares with the voyager. you'll need to see which one fits your bill more.

we loved the boat. ron

townvet

Reaction score
I have had the pleaSure of having both the 232 Gulfstream with a single F350 EARLY this year and now a twin F350 set up on my 336.

I LOVED the 232 with the single F350, very fast, powerful etc...

BUT

Now that I have the twin engines on the new boat I am not sure how I ever got the single into our slip. The control with the twin set up is much much better. If you are intiidated by the thought of having to control 2 engines....don't be it is much easier to put the boat where you want it with the twins.

lgusto

Reaction score
we love our single, plenty of power for us, takes some practice maneuvering, happy at the pump and during winter layups

if money were no object twins would be fun, but then again we'd have a Marlin instead.

spike

Reaction score
If you are thinking of using this for a couple or 3 years, I would think you would be better off with the Gulfstream. It has a wider beam than the Voyager, and you will love that extra room. My Grady dealer told me they call the Voyager the "grandfathers boat". Grady wanted to get a mid size boat that could be trailered. So it is narrower than the Gulfstream. My guess is that it is not a big seller (I think they call the new version the Journey). The Gulfstream is one of, if not the most, popular Grady version, so you will have a much easier time re-selling it later.

As far as the single vs the dual motors, take what you can get. If you are a casual user and are mooring it, i wouldn't think twice about a single. If you have kids, keep in mind that you lose most of the swim platform with twin motors. And the cost of maintenance is double as well. It sounds like you won't be going a long ways offshore to fish so you don't have as much of a need for the safety of the extra motor. You will get the hang of handling a single pretty quickly.

Good luck with your search. It took me a while to find it but I finally got my first one 2 weeks ago !!!

Jas

Reaction score
I agree with almost all the comments posted here and certainly the sentiments to both sides of this discussion. This has been kicked around (or beaten to death) in other posts so check them out and decide for yourself. Twin engines on the Gulfstream are certainly the preferable setup, but my single Yamaha 250 is OK for me, for now, and hopefully there’s a Marlin or Express in my future. I do think that if you’re planning on camping out in it, the GS is the better option vs. the Voyager but either will be roughing it in fairly tight quarters.

The GS is a great boat and it’s a question of your cost vs. desired functionality. When it comes time to maintain the engine I enjoy that I only have a single one to maintain, but yes sometimes when loaded up with gas and gear, (and/or maneuvering at the docks) I wish I had a little more horse power. However ultimately it’s your call. Best of luck.

engineersx2

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I have a 2008 - 232 with twin 150s. I struggled for a long time to decide between the twin 150s and 200's but decided on the 150's. 90% of the time I am very happy with the 150's. The other 10% of the time I wish I had more HP to run back to port.

But I do wonder how the extra weight would impact the 232 as with the GRADY bracket sometimes the wake comes 1/2 over the motors. My previous GW was a 208 with a single motor. I keep my boat at a boatel where the docking is VERY tight and I much enjoy how the twin motors work the boat.

I have no regrets on getting the 232. The only downside that I have found is that the 232 is not trailerable in most locations without a wide load permit (to be legal that is).

If you are thinking about a 232 with less than 300 HP, I think it might be underpowered.

good luck with your decision

magicalbill

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Marlin
engineersx2..
The extra weight of the 200's(if I'm reading your post correctly) is negligable. As with yours, the wake washes over the back of the cowlings if I pull it off plane in a hurry.
The scuppers are underwater, but they drain deck water fine..I must confess I'm not sure how that works, but they do what their supposed to do.

Maybe "underpowered" means different things to different people. A single 250 would plane the 232 and run okay with a light load. I would think. I would characterize a 250 as "underpowered when the same boat takes on a heavy load(multiple passengers, gear,ice,etc.)
There is just not enough headroom for real world changes and scenarios to me.

Then again, I'm not buying it......

rjfiore1

Reaction score
All, thank you for your insight! I am still up in the air about what I'm doing... I really think that the GS 232 would be great and I think I would be trailering (2x a year) ... they are so expensive!! I would LOVE a 4 stroke (years 2003+) but I guess the 2 strokes are fine (why are there no hour meters on them??? I cant figure that one out and everybody seems to estimate LOW LOW hours).... I was also looking into the Boston Whaler Conquest 23-25' but i'm still leaning towards the Grady.... I didnt think the journey was all that bad either, seemed pretty roomy...

Reaction score
I have a 232 with twin 150 2 strokes and find it to be great although I'm not sure the extra weight back there does the handling any good. I am sure that the Grady has a much smoother ride than the Whaler. I burn alot of fuel too, I get about 1.5 mpg at cruise. I use the boat mostly for fishing Vineyard and Nantucket sound and they get choppy almost everyday so I love the grady ride for that reason too.