New Bracket etc?

Adam

GreatGrady Captain
Its been a mixed season on my Explorer and now time for a big winter project.
Started with a seized lower unit- Second hand fix but did nt help for long.
But the real fun was a seized engine this weekend. I cant move it an inch. I was a way from home and had to limp in feeling very vulnerable as the Bridgeport ferry pulled out. I have no confidence in the boat anymore and with the kids often with me alone I'm taking no chance from here on my 15 year old set up and I need some advice from anyone that put on a new bracket and a big single.(pair of 94 150s for sale one seized +controls)
My scuppers are underwater with the 2 150s so I want to add some buoyancy. Hermco is so very expensive so i wanted to go with an alluminium Seaboard, Stainless marine or D and D? Any negative experiences? Do the V shaped brackets help reversing?
I'm going to go for a 250 or 300 Yamaha or Verado 4 stroke as they are my local guys. Is a single weighing 650/700lbs replacing 850lbs of twins an issue? I only go up and down the LI sound so I dont think the cost of twins can be justified and I wont miss oil tanks.
The bracket tends to swamp when you come off the plane so would a 30 inch motor help if i raise the bracket a couple of inches? (or will i get drag too much)
I'm going to replace the fuel tanks and every thru hull and hose on the boat, but is it ok to change the main tank for alluminium then put in a smaller plastic auxillary or do the tanks form part of the hull strength?
THANKS in advance, this site really is brilliant for researching a project.

Reel Quick

I had a question for you about the cost difference between the aluminum and the fiberglass.I contacted Hermco and for my twins I`m looking at least 3500 for the glass.

Adam

GreatGrady Captain
Aluminium seems to be about $1200 all in with a 5 ft swim platform for a single rated to 300, i think the twin 1800 or so. Just a single mount is around $800. I'm not sure which to go with yet but its about half the cost of the glass ones from what i have come across so far. Guys seem to love the hermco from what i have read though.

Grog

GreatGrady Captain
I put a Hermco on a few years ago. After doing some research it is by far the best, the downside is they're not cheap. If you do decide to go with aluminum, definitely go for one that will add bouyancy. If you put on a single bracket with a large 4 stroke, your scuppers will be close to where they are now.

Ask around but I thought somewhere there were still new 150 2 stroke yami's for sale. I'm not sure if they were carb or OX's but they were also cheap (10K or less?).

Shutterbug

I assume your current is not or no longer airtight? My opinion is that if it is and you buy a single with a 4 stroke your waterline at the stern will rise on slightly. If you raise the bracket height better do your homework and make sure that a longer shaft will operate correctly. I know there are many Grady's that have below waterline scuppers, mine too. Used to be a concern of mine when I went from single to twins. Periodically, once every year or two, I pop the scuppers and check around the transom. Maybe it should but it doesn't bother me as much.

Put new aluminum bracket on this spring. Went from not airtight with the previous to airtight. Gained about an inch at the transom waterline. Had a metal fabricator in the town I live make it. Great job, reasonably priced, bolts holes matched so no filling and re-drilling.