New Chartplotter...Maybe?

kas919

GreatGrady Captain
Joined
Dec 9, 2025
Messages
67
Reaction score
4
Points
8
Age
63
Location
Venice, FL
Model
Freedom 285
Our 2019 Freedom 285 has a Garmin 7616xsv. For some reason it is not broadcasting Wi-Fi. I had Garmin tech support on the line for awhile with me. It's not that I need it to have Wi-Fi, but it makes Active Captain a more useful feature.
I am kicking around the idea of buying the 8616xsv and installing it myself. Has anyone done something like this? Could it be as easy as plug and play into the exisiting Garmin infrastructure that I have?

Now this I probably wouldnt do myself, but I would like to upgrade the GT30 transducer to the GT56UHD.
Is swapping the chartplotters an ordeal, or is it somewhat plug and play? Thanks for any advice
 
Connections will be the same.
You didn't say how 7616 is mounted.

Looks like the cutout dimension is different.
download from Garmin and print both templates and print per printinting instructions (You have to print ACTUAL SIZE)
Overlay them and you will know for sure whether you have to cut or cover or if it goes right in


https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=502861&tab=manuals

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_7416_7616_flush_template.pdf
https://static.garmin.com/pumac/GPSMAP_8416-8616_flush_template.pdf

Screenshot 2026-10-05 at 3.36.42 PM.png Screenshot 2026-10-05 at 3.37.24 PM.png



I would suggest using a GT51M if you go to deep water.
GT56 will do really well in 100 or less
They are both 12 pin, as your GT30 was.
Its very likely that both use the same transom mounting bracket and hole pattern. You can get that on Garmin site also.
You will have to fish the cable...