New cover

Genobg

Reaction score
Model
Freedom 275
I had a full five piece cover on my 2012 GW 275 Freedom until the hurricane in September. Unfortunately I could not get it removed in time so it was blown away.

I had all the Upolstrey redone and have been advised to get a new cover to protect against sun, rain and bird damage.

What do you think in terms of a full cover or a bow and cockpit cover? I am 80 and don’t want to wrestle with a heavy cover.
I am thinking that a two piece cover, bow and cockpit, would be the easiest for me but my upholsterer recommends a one piece. What has been your experience?

thanks in advance for your advice.

DennisG01

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Offshore
Hands down the separate bow and cockpit covers will be easier. If need be, the upholsterer that makes it for you can make relief cuts in the cockpit cover to go around the hardtop legs. But the nice thing is that you can have it done any way you like.

The downside to bow & cockpit covers is that it doesn't wrap over the rubrail so some of the topside is exposed to the UV - but that just means that you pay that 15 year old kid a couple more times a year to wax it :)

If your boat is in the slip, bow & cockpit covers are definitely the way to go. Although there are some nice full covers out there (Sea Ray, for example) that are lightweight, have cutouts for both the cleats and hardtop legs and secure with a ratchet strap in the hem which makes it super tight. Bow and cockpit are still easier - but those full covers that SR uses are about the easiest I've ever seen when it comes to a full cover.