New Design and Forum Software Upgrade

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is a link below the banner on the left hand side of the screen that says "User Control Panel". Click on that link to view your PMs.

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Gman25 said:
Hey Great job guys!!.....but there seems to be a problem with the auto sign on feature.

I've got the same issue, and on multiple computers. Despite clicking on the "Log me in Automatically" box, I have to login with my user and pass every time I access the site.

seabob4

Reaction score
Jeff,
I am having NO problems with the new site, but then again, my site uses the same host, so I guess I'm used to it.

Interesting you got spammers the first day it was up. My site has been up since March and not a single spammer yet...
Shruggingshoulders.gif

capnjack52

Reaction score
The search function only appears to find posts with dates subsequent to 25 July; simple search terms, e.g., "Grady" and "White" and "Seafarer" yielded minimal results and all with dates from just the past two days. :?:

DB

Reaction score
whoa...Thought I was on the wrong site...Looks very good...will take time to adjust to the newness.

JOSH S

Reaction score
Looks great but I am also having to login each time I visit the site. The remember me/autologin feature is not working properly.

seasick

Reaction score
OK, one more comment and then this grumpy old man is going to shut up.
When I go to the main page, I used to be able to select the forum I wanted without having to scroll down. The new layout takes up more realestate and I find that I need to scroll to get to the options that used to fit on my screen.
I think the banners are bigger and the font seems larger, fewer post are displayed on a page then were before.
Thanks for bearing with me.

30marlin

Reaction score
The new site looks great. I think one thing that might be nice is to have more threads so problems and question can
be can be listed by component, systems or even boat model.
This is a great place with a wealth of information that is shared between GW owners.

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
I've given it a chance, and I just don't like it. Can't quite put my finger on it, but I find it visually unsettling.

Also don't know why we can't have a brief of the post when you mouse-over the title, as most of my other web sites do...

But back to my first statement, I will likely be spending a lot less time here now. And I've been here a long time.. :cry:

wahoo33417

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Sailfish
I like the fresh, new look. I agree with Parthery, however, in that I'd like to be able to see more on one screen. My computer is a laptop, so yeah, it is a smaller screen than a typical desktop.

Tx, Rob

Seafarer228G

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I decreased the size of the post font. I think the text is much more readable now. Ocnslr I will install a modification that will do as you suggested. No one has mentioned anything about the updated photo gallery. Users can now post their photos in the gallery. Also, the search function has been fixed.

NOTHING ELSE MATTERS

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
I had a problem also logging in all the time, so what i did was, i entered the site, i logged in, then i saved the site on my popular and top sites( i use safari), now no problem, i'm always logged in. I also use a lap top at home(17" screen) and a desk top at work(20" screen) and i noticed also the font not to be too comfortable on my eyes, but i thought it was me, now i realized the font is smaller. So a change there would be also nice if possible. Other than that, the site i think is easy to navigate( i also use the same on other sites i go to, so i'm used to it).
MORE SMILEYS PLEASE

gwwannabe

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jeff, I'm slowly getting used to the new software but I too find it less appealing than it used to be. I think it's the squat, wide appearance everything seems to have. I also have color perception problems and the use of color in the narrow circle is very difficult for me to see. If the circle were thicker or the whole icon were the same color, it would be much easier for me.

One issue I'm trying to track down is I find myself having to login in several times during a session. For instance, this morning I logged in, read the new comments in this thread, noticed the mention of the log me in automatically check box, and went looking for it. I clicked on Board Index and when I came back here, I had been logged out. I think but don't remember for sure, that I may have clicked on that when it happened before.

Gary 93 Gulfstream

ocnslr

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Model
Islander
Jeff,
Thanks for adding the mouse-over on the post titles.
Also, I think the smaller font helps the overall appearance. As I noted previously, the appearance bothered me but I wasn't sure what it was - well, the font was apparently a good bit of it.
Several of the smiley options show as blank squares on my display (first four and sixth in first line, last in second line), but they still 'mouse-over' and work - just no symbology.
Brian

greenhabah

Reaction score
On the old format it marked all topics as read when you left the forum so the next time
in you could tell what had been updated since the last visit.

Now I have to manually click the "mark all read" link before I leave the forum.

I too liked the old look better but I'm sure in time I will get used to this.
I thought it was one of the better looking forums out there compared to the rest...no it is one of the rest.

capnjack52

Reaction score
Seafarer228G said:
I decreased the size of the post font. I think the text is much more readable now. Ocnslr I will install a modification that will do as you suggested. No one has mentioned anything about the updated photo gallery. Users can now post their photos in the gallery. Also, the search function has been fixed.

Thanks for resolving the search function, Jeff. In fact, it works much better now than with the previous software because the pertinent excerpt of each post where the search terms appear is now displayed rather than just the post subject line. Very useful! :p

Desperado

Reaction score
greenhabah said:
On the old format it marked all topics as read when you left the forum so the next time

I thought it was one of the better looking forums out there compared to the rest...no it is one of the rest.

I second this. I like the fact that it used to automatically "mark all read" before. That being said, thank you for the effort and time it takes to maintain and update this site!

Bama96

Reaction score
You really have to move the members names and post count info back over to the left. I can't stand it at the right side. MORE SMILEYS PLEASE!! :lol:

Parthery

GreatGrady Captain
Reaction score
Jeff,

Any idea why the "Keep me Logged In" feature is not working?

DBV

Reaction score
Agree with the below. Like everything else, but consider the below a must do.

Desperado said:
greenhabah said:

I second this. I like the fact that it used to automatically "mark all read" before. That being said, thank you for the effort and time it takes to maintain and update this site!